PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With the Music?

Ladytiger
07-25-2003, 06:28 PM
I've been listening to the radio for the past hour and a half, in that time I have heard 4 remakes of the music that I listened to growing up. Guess our generation's music wasn't that bad after all huh?;)
Oh. I tucked away my parachute pants from "those days". I was going through that box. DD went nuts over the pants, the "madonna belt" that wrapped around twice and my tee-shirt loopers. You put one side of the bunched up tee-shirt through a plastic loop.
Soooo, they are imitating our music and our clothes-hmm, we are cool!! Who woulda thunk?

barbaric
07-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Remember leg warmers? And don't forget Dr Scholls sandals, they really hurt my feet! And my 9 yr old likes Metallica, go figure!

catssass
07-25-2003, 06:44 PM
It's funny you mentioned leg warmers, I was in Claire's today, looking around and I saw leg warmers, OMG are they back? and....do you remember "EARTH SHOES"? lol

Willow
07-25-2003, 06:44 PM
I so hate everything about the 80's. LOL The 60's were cool though. :)

barbaric
07-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Oh yes we cant forget the Earth shoes! Raised the toe area up and the heel down, actually they were pretty comfortable! And those Candies slides! YIKES!

lucybp
07-25-2003, 07:46 PM
We can't forget the big 80's hair :D

MsPiggy44
07-25-2003, 08:33 PM
How about the knee high boots????? And of course the very black eyeglass frames.

unicorn9149
07-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Bring back the earth shoes. They were so comfortable and they were actually wide enough for me if I bought a boys 4. The rest of the 80's you can keep. Now that I think of it, earth shoes were in the late 70's cause I wore them thru 2 pregnancies.

Shancopp
07-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Calvin Klien jeans and jelly shoes...the Key earring in one ear (Janet Jackson)...bandanas as belts and hair ties! Shaker sweaters and 2 or 3 pr of socks all bunched down (matching your outfit, of course!) Ahh....high school..... Devo/DuranDuran/Culture Club Yikes!

okie
07-25-2003, 09:57 PM
OMG!!! I thought the 80's were behind us.

lucybp
07-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Devo/DuranDuran/Culture Club Yikes!
DuranDuran was just on Access Hollywood. Looks like they're making a comeback too.

momfromTN
07-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Valley Girls (ohmagawd!), Izod shirts, ballerina flats, bass weejuns made a comeback as well as penny loafers, Cheenos, Heavy eyeliner and lipstick. Preppies and Punk Rockers, safety pins with beads on them, friendship bracelets, Nike and Reeboks.

The GoGos, The Bangles (my fav), Spandau Ballet, Toto, Genesis, and Journey!!!

julie_angel
07-26-2003, 11:29 AM
yup, it does all seem to be coming back! I saw the shoes like that candie's slides the other day, the bottom looks like wood but it's plastic. I've seen the big belts, big hoop earrings, stretch jeans, now I guess it'll be the big hair.
I think I'll stick with being my hippie self, at least for a while longer.;)

Kyla Kym
07-26-2003, 11:38 AM
Fess Up !!!! How many of you from the late 70's early 80's remember laying down on the bed to zip your jeans up??? :D

julie_angel
07-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
Fess Up !!!! How many of you from the late 70's early 80's remember laying down on the bed to zip your jeans up??? :D

ME ME ME! I remember having sores on my thumbs from trying to get the zippers up!!! And from trying to get sneakers on with three pairs of different colored socks that matched my outfit!!!!

Kyla Kym
07-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by julie_angel
ME ME ME! I remember having sores on my thumbs from trying to get the zippers up!!! And from trying to get sneakers on with three pairs of different colored socks that matched my outfit!!!!

LOL :D I remember my cousin using plyers to get the zipper up! It's a wonder our eye balls didn't pop out they where so tight ! :eek: :D

I'm just glad we don't have to try and wear our hair feathered anymore. That had to be the hardest hairstyle to get just right for me. I bet I went through 100 gallons of hair spray then. ;) :p

Maeryn
07-26-2003, 12:10 PM

{raising hand} GUILTY!!

Shancopp
07-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Me too and rolling up the pant's legs and folding them in to make them as tight as possible around the ankle!?? My dsd would DIE! If her pants don't drag the ground...she won't wear them!

Tasha405
07-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Shancopp
Me too and rolling up the pant's legs and folding them in to make them as tight as possible around the ankle!?? My dsd would DIE! If her pants don't drag the ground...she won't wear them! Wasn't that called the "Peg Roll" or something like that? We done that for a long time. I'm also guilty of laying down to zip my pants up, having big hair, 3 pair of socks "scrunched down" to match my outfit, big earrings and the dark eye makeup. :rolleyes: lol

Ladytiger
07-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Tasha405
Wasn't that called the "Peg Roll" or something like that? We done that for a long time. I'm also guilty of laying down to zip my pants up, having big hair, 3 pair of socks "scrunched down" to match my outfit, big earrings and the dark eye makeup. :rolleyes: lol

Guess what? DD is going to be 14 in September and she does that NOW-I keep telling her that her friend is going to have to roll her around on a dolly because her legs won't move.
Yep, big hair is making a comeback. I'll stick with mine straight for awhile longer-it's finally healthy after all those perms!

Willow
07-26-2003, 02:52 PM
LOL :D I remember my cousin using plyers to get the zipper up! It's a wonder our eye balls didn't pop out they where so tight ! :eek: :D

I'm just glad we don't have to try and wear our hair feathered anymore. That had to be the hardest hairstyle to get just right for me. I bet I went through 100 gallons of hair spray then. ;) :p

Hey my hair is still feathered. My hair is fine so if I didn't have it cut in layers it would hang on my head like a mop. LOL

feliciac
07-28-2003, 08:28 AM

LOL!!!! I never did this (hate tight jeans), but I had girlfriends who did. And I always laughed at them.

We always called that rolling thing with the jeans, tightrolling, did that until about 7th grade, when I decided it was too much trouble, lol. Only kid in my junior high wearing jeans without tightrolling them or wearing bell bottoms.

unicorn9149
07-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
If you liked Earth shoes then, you'll like Birkenstocks now (or knockoffs).
My birks are the MOST comfortable shoes I have.
I really like my Lands End knockoffs, but the finally wore out and they don't make them any more. Can't afford Birkenstocks and have trouble finding the knockoffs that fit. I wear a 6WW or 5 1/2WWW. I'm very fussy about wearing the right width cause my Mom had very deformed feet from wearing "fashionable" shoes.

captorquewrench
07-28-2003, 08:30 AM
walmart sells earth shoes

suzziq03
07-28-2003, 09:00 AM
:) WELL, i never had to lay down to zip up my jeans in the 80s ( I was a size 2 and weighed 90pds soaking wet ) but now i do! haha! My 11 yr old son really likes most of the music from the 80's. sad to say I didnt save any of my things ( clothes, etc ) so now im constantly on Ebay looking for things. its amazing to me how much stuff is actually on there from the 80's! My girls are into 80's cartoons and think mom is "SO COOL" because mom knows more about the characters than they do! :).
other stuff making a comeback:
sox with heals,
acid wash jeans,
mr.t in commercials
alf in commercials,
Joe Isuzu is back pitching Isuzu cars & trucks,
shows on nick at night include: alf, a-team,different strokes,silver spoons & facts of life.
Garbage pail kids
im sure im missing quite a few, but no time to list em all.

1tiredmom
07-28-2003, 11:11 AM
yes i admit i remember!!lol--my daughter almost died when i went into her room and saw her trying to zip up (she was like jumping while trying to zip!)when i told her to lay on the bad & it would be easier-she asked how would i know/i laughed & told her i was 16 years old once too & did not have this weight gain all my life!lol!!

aimee_l
07-28-2003, 12:03 PM
I used to lay down on the bed and hook the top of a wire hanger through my zipper to zip up my jeans. A friend of mine showed me this trick!

jinydale
07-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Gosh, I remember my favorite pair of acid washed jeans were pink with a jean jacket to match. Of course I tightrolled those jeans, rolled up my jacket sleeves just so my 50 or so jelly bracelets would show. And the jeans had to be tightrolled just high enough so they would not cover the top of my black hightop converses with biscuit toes or my mootsie tootsies. AAAHHHH those were the days......I was so rad.:cool: :cool: Oh, and I can't forget my sunshades(with the slats acrross the lens, sort of looked like window blinds)listening to my favorite cassettes on my boom box held on my shoulder, didn't have to worry about smashing that hair non, had enough extra strength Aqua Net in it that it would just bounce back out, my mom couldn't keep enough of it in the house.

Princess4J
07-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by catssass
and....do you remember "EARTH SHOES"? lol

:eek:

NO, PLEASE NOT THOSE !

Kyla Kym
07-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by feliciac
LOL!!!! I never did this (hate tight jeans), but I had girlfriends who did. And I always laughed at them.

We always called that rolling thing with the jeans, tightrolling, did that until about 7th grade, when I decided it was too much trouble, lol. Only kid in my junior high wearing jeans without tightrolling them or wearing bell bottoms.
If the tight rolling went out when you was in the 7th grade then I think you missed out on the tight jean fad I'm talking about, because the tight jeans I'm talking about was very popular way before the tight leg rolling was. I graduated in 83 and the jean rolling still hadn't came out yet. I remember when it did. I was already married and one of my husbands nieces taught me how to roll mine the right way. ;)

But the tight jean thing I'm talking about, you would have had to been there to know what I mean. I see allot of people replying that I know for certain that was there ! LOL like the hopping up and down just to get them up your legs, then the laying on the bed and using various tools just to get the zipper up. I also can remember sometimes them being so tight needing someone to help me back off the bed.

How on earth did we walk??????? *LMAO* :D :eek:

By the time the peg roll came out I think we had went through the baggies stage so that might have did away with the torture jean stage. :p

Ladytiger
07-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Graduated in '82 here. Remember Jordache jeans? UGH-how the heck did I walk? At least our booties weren't hanging out like they are now with the low/no rise jeans LOL
I don't remember the tight roll-must been when I was preggers and wearing swaets all the time.

julie_angel
07-29-2003, 07:44 AM
Speaking of how tight the jeans were does anyone else remember having trouble getting them off over your feet?

cs2ns2
07-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Guilty of laying on the bed to zip, I also had the handy pliers ready just in case the callous ripped off :D I also remember the super straight pant legs (which we still seemed to tightroll), usually those jeans were Guess jeans or Levi 501, the Keds sneakers, baggy sweaters with a tee underneath. The higher the hair the better. My Aqua Net was the purple can, and always carried a spare can in that big blue jean purse. But the best was when I switched to the "hair band" phase. Tight jeans with rips from top to bottom, a tshirt with any band on it, dark make-up, even higher hair, and my boyfriend wore more eyeliner than I did :eek: Those days were totally B****IN dude!!!!

Shancopp
07-29-2003, 10:45 AM
I loved the silver can of Aqua Net...
Gee, I just quit using it a few years ago!! LoL!

jonette5
07-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Dose anyone remember if your jeans weren't tight enough, getting in bath tub of water so they would be wet and dry to fit your skin! LOL I did this many times...froze to death in winter! LOL

cSoReNSoN
07-29-2003, 11:36 AM
I remember tightrolling going on in 88-90ish (at the latest) at my school. Somewhere in the 4th-6th grades for me.

Shancopp
07-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Never did the bathwater thing! Yikes! Wouldn't wanna do that during
IN winters!! I remember cruising and listening to BonJovi "living on a prayer" and Poison (can't remember name of it...when they first came out...thought it was 4 women!!) Gas was 86 cents a gallon..if ya saved your lunch money all week, you could cruise all weekend! I worked at McDs and Cokes were .59 small/.63 med and .71 large! I think they've more than doubled now!!!