PDA

View Full Version : COCKTAIL PARTIES? Does anyone have cocktail parties anymore--did they ever?

janelle
07-24-2003, 12:52 PM
I read about "cocktail parties" a lot. I've never been to one, I've never known anyone who has them. Do you know of or been to a cocktail party?

Maybe it's an east coast term of just getting together at someone's house. :confused: :confused:

schsa
07-24-2003, 01:02 PM
A very 50's and early 60's sort of thing when adults would get dressed up and go over to each others homes and sit around and drink and eat finger foods. Sort of like a party without dancing. I consider it one of the rituals that lots of 50's SAHM did to make them feel like adults when they had had enough of the kids.

I can remember one of my mom's friends kept a diary of her parties including who was there, what was served and what she wore so she never repeated herself.

ckerr4
07-24-2003, 01:08 PM
lol, I don't know anyone personally who has had one or has been ot one, I think. Good question janelle:D

My mom and her boyfriend go to receptions sometimes, for lawyer-ing things (he's a lawyer), but it's not quite the same things as a cocktail party, since it's not in someone's house usually.

janelle
07-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Then why do people still say coctail parties? Old fashion term, I would think.

My mother would go to her monthly canasta party with her friends in their homes. My sister use to go to Bunco parties like the canasta parties. New game same type of party.

Getting together to drink sounds kinda funny.:confused:

mugwump
07-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Cocktail parties are still given where I live ... mostly for business presentations or shows...they are sometimes called wine and cheese parties, but the concept is the same... finger foods and drinks. And our local "socialites" still have "cocktails at five" for their coming out parties. A little old fashioned, I guess, and somewhat snobbish.

When my DH had his own business, I attended and also gave a lot of cocktail parties ... you know the perfect corporate wifey thing. Hated every minute of it I might add.

janelle
07-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Marci--I find out something new about you all the time, LOL. I know a dear lady that is so charming and her hubby was president of a bank so they had to do a lot of entertaining. She can really make a person feel at ease and she makes sure everyone meets each other. Only those skills one can learn from having to entertain all the time. I know, I would hate it too, but I'd still like to have her social manners.:)

mugwump
07-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Janelle ... I would rather have a root canal any time, believe me! I'm basically a very shy and somewhat introverted person, so it was very difficult for me to learn these skills. Luckily DH is extremely gregarious and carried the ball for me sometimes when I was just starting out.

I'm still shy in my personal life, but in business situations I can converse with anyone at any level (and appear to be comfortable doing it). It's just one more skill set that I have learned to make myself more marketable.

janelle
07-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by tinkrbell1171
my mom has one every year for her sisters and brothers,we use to have huge xmas eves ,but as everyone got older,and familys grew it was to much,so,in between xmas and new years,all 7 of them come with there spouses,lisen to music,talk have a few drinks and they all bring hourderves(sp?)and all exchange inexsensive small gifts,like last year my mom made these little xmas ornaments,like one had a pretty moon,almost like a quilt square,then attached one of my grandmothers buttons on it like a star,kinda like a sentimental keepsake,they also had PA DUTCH theme one year,they all grew up there,po pit,dried corn,pepper cabbage,corn pie,red beet eggs,they all have their specialties,hey also all bring pictures ,and take one everyyear!hey enjoy it

AWWW, those ornaments sound sweet. What is a PA DUTCH theme? The food? Why is it called PA DUTCH?

The only place I have seen cocktail parties is on the Jerry Seinfeld show. Those parties always have a butler walking around with heorderves--or however you spell it---and hard drinks for the guests. So thought it was only done in New York.

In Kansas we have lots of pot lucks. People bring food to share. Usually no hard drinks though. If we want those we go to the clubs. Or people serve beer in their homes for the drinks or wine. We certainly aren't served by a wandering waiter who has been hired. Maybe some weddings will do that but it's would be a fancy wedding. Only go to once in a lifetime unless you are in the "inner" circle.

DOOFIS
07-25-2003, 11:12 AM
my parents used to have cocktail parties where everyone came to drink and eat appetizers. I've never had one. I am 31 and my bf is 45 and we still have keg parties:D pretty much the same thing except cocktail parties I think are supposed to be a bit more civillized.

janelle
07-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Oh huh. Did you see the one in "Breakfast at Tiffanys"? But then that was a movie but it may have been based on real Holllywood cocktail parties. LOL