PDA

View Full Version : Please help me help a friend

mrssnoop1
07-23-2003, 09:53 AM
I was wondering if you all could help me help a friend. A while back I posted a prayer request because one of my fellow Wal-Mart employees died in a drowning accident. We all thank you for the prayers. At Cory's funeral my husband and I was sitting in a pew with another couple we work with. During the service the preacher was talking about how at 23 years of age Cory dedicated his life to trying to bring others to God. My friend sat there and loud enough so those around her could hear said, "Oh yeah, like we are suppose to believe in God. Like one person made the Earth and everything on it. That's about as believable as Noah built the Ark and all those animals didn't fight," To her husband she said, "If there is a God, why can't I get pregnant?" I am on medical leave right now, but hopefully going back to work soon. I and some others tried to talk to her at after the funeral, but I don't think it did any good.m When I go back to work I plan on talking to her again. What I am asking from you first of all are prayers for the right words to come out of me to help her. If any one has gone through this, do you have any advise on how to help her? Thank you so much.

angelinwaiting
07-23-2003, 11:47 AM
First of all, I will definately keep her in my prayers....I have no answers for you...my bil does not believe in God either and I can't say anything to him to make him change his mind...I have told him that there is no human ever that can create this world and everything in it...the grass, trees, animals, sun, moon, stars, and so forth but he is dead set that man created all and not God....a very sad situation but at least I can pray and will continue doing so....

{{{{{{{{mrssnoop1}}}}}}}}}

ckerr4
07-23-2003, 02:20 PM
I agree with Fireball. If you want to be her friend, be there for her. Be there when she is feeling down because she wants a baby and can't have one. Be there if she has questions about Christianity. But don't begin evanglizing to her - she is obviously against religion, and God in general right now, and I think approaching her about learning to believe will turn her off more. The best thing you can do is simpl be there. If she wants to believe, if she is meant to believe, she will. For her faith to be true and real, she will have to come to that faith on her own, through her own realization. That will make it more special to her. And then you can share it with her, without fear of pushing her further away. That is my opinion.

janelle
07-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by ckerr4
For her faith to be true and real, she will have to come to that faith on her own, through her own realization.

But no one comes to this point in a vacuum. Be there so when she wants to talk about her feelings you can listen to her and tell her how you feel about things. When things fall through for you.

It's too bad she could not see how the person whose funeral she was attending had it so much worse than her. 23 and dead with no chance to have a full life like she has. She can go on and try to have a baby for years to come, depending on her age. I hope his parents didn't hear her.

Not criticizing her so much but she is caught up in her own hurt feelings. I hope when she has a baby she can come out of that mind set but some people are more into themselves than is healthy.

It may have just been a momentary lapse in her judgment and she will think better of it the next day. We all get discouraged with our problems.

ckerr4
07-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by janelle
But no one comes to this point in a vacuum.

lol, of course not! But it's like a teenager who does something because her parents tell her not to, or vice-versa. For example, when I was 16, I had this boyfriend - he was bad news, all the way around. My mom was always forbidding me to see him, talk to him, have anything to do with him. So what did I do? :rolleyes: Of course, I snuck away, made up lies, whatever I could to see him. My dad, on the other hand, never said a word. Made some faces, but never said a word:D Later, after we broke up, as was inevitable, my dad told me that he knew that everytime my mom said something, it was pushing me closer to that guy. He figured that I would see the truth for myself soon enough, and the relationship wasn't going to last forever, so he wasn't going to say anything, and risk making it seem "cooler" or more rebellious (which is the same thing to a teenager, lol).
The point is that you can push a person to do the opposite of what you want them to do - it's human nature. So if you begin evangalizing, or even slipping in stuff about Christianity and God in what you think is a subtle way, the person might be offended, and move even further away. This girl's life doesn't have to be a vacuum, but it doesn't have to be a tornado either:D

Oh, the ending to the boyfriend story? I broke up with him, to start dating the guy that I eventually married (and am still married to) ;)

janelle
08-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
But once the offer has been made, if the person chooses not to take you up on it, you have to respect that and back off or else you're forcing your beliefs on someone else.

I agree with that.

Merry99%
08-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Siad a prayer for her and for you.Maybe she should not have voiced that in church,but if she was willing to go at all(even under those circumstances) maybe she does want to know and find comfort.I pray he gives you words that comfort her,her pain is a heavy one:(

brattrottloverx2
08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
You know my heart really does go out to her I know her pain when my baby died and 2 months old I was mortified and i know that God created all things but you just cannot help but ask why didnt He save her and do on all I can say is time will help out it's been 10 years and many night crying like a goofball but by the grace of God my whole family will be together in the end.
Shannon