PDA

View Full Version : petty whine, just aggravated

redrig
07-23-2003, 09:21 AM
We had a plumber come in to check out a leak under our kitchen sink, plus the tubs still are not draining, just getting worse. He opened the cabinet door, looked for about 3 seconds and quoted us $515. And that was just for the kitchen, it was going to be another 200 bucks to have him drag the snake out of the truck!. So we have another guy coming out today to give us an estimate. Goes to show, full page ad in the yellow pages and a beautiful website don't mean squat!

And now my gas gauge on my car has ceased to work so I have to use my trip odometer to try and figure out how much gas I have and when to fill up and yesterday coming home it felt like it was shifting funny. I can't take it in to the shop until 2 weeks from now and depending on what they have to say I may have to buy another car, but I am so aggravated...I had the transmisison rebuilt last year, just had a new oil pan and rear main seal (and that wasn't cheap)had a tune up not too long ago, 2 new tires, the brakes were done a few months ago.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH:mad:

Kelsey1224
07-23-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm so sorry...it doesn't rain but it pours!

Donnagg123
07-23-2003, 09:40 AM
When it rains it pours, huh? :( I know the feeling...
Sounds like you got a block somewhere. Have you tried to snake the drain yourself? We had a problem like that, and then we went out to Lowe's and bought a snake for like $20-$25. HTH & GL :):)

redrig
07-23-2003, 09:48 AM
I tried a snake and it would only get so far before I couldn't push it any further, but they are only like 1 1/4 inch copper pipes so I didn't want to be too forceful and break the darn thing. I did take the drain mechanism out to see if there was any goop on it and there wasn't anything, so I am clueless. I figured it was better left to a professional...

magenta
07-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Donnagg123
When it rains it pours, huh? :( I know the feeling...
Sounds like you got a block somewhere. Have you tried to snake the drain yourself? We had a problem like that, and then we went out to Lowe's and bought a snake for like $20-$25. HTH & GL :):)

I was going to say the same thing. My kitchen drain was backed up. My DH ran the snake and added some drano after that and all was fine. $25 invested in the snake, may save ALOT of $ over the years on plumbers.

Good Luck

schsa
07-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Do get a couple of estimates. Just like any other profession there are really good plumbers and there are those who see $$$$ and prefer your ignorance. My sister recently had to replace the pipes that go from her house to the city water supply. Her first estimate was $1500. The guy who did the work did it for $675. A really big difference for the same job.

Iluvbears
07-23-2003, 04:03 PM
It's a lot cheaper to do things yourself. Plus you learn in the process. Plumbing is very simple, I'm not a plumber but I can fix any leak. Just yesterday the hot water valve to the washing machine was leaking. I shut the water off. Cut the pvc pipe and replaced it with a new one & a faucet. It took me 10 mins & saved me a few bucks by doing it myself.