PDA

View Full Version : Cat Died today....

kidzpca
07-22-2003, 04:54 PM
My poor nine-year-old found one of our cats laying dead on the cement floor in our basement about 2:30 today. Poor thing apparently had been playing in the rafters as she usually does, slipped near one of the windows and fell about 8 feet to the floor.

The only thing I could figure is that she landed not quite right and her neck broke in the process.

Worst part was that our son is the one to find her. He was so upset. But we did hold a funeral today and buried her in the backyard.

Then when my 12 year old comes home from camp we will have to tell her.

Any suggestions to how to help the kids cope?

Thanks

miccit
07-22-2003, 05:02 PM
(((((((((( kidzpca and family))))))))) I am so sorry. I am not sure how to explain it to your kids. I had a bear of a time explaining to my kids when the guinea pig died.

Willow
07-22-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

nanajoanie
07-22-2003, 05:06 PM
So sorry for you and your son. So difficult to explain these things to children - regardless of age. Just because you are asking for advice I'm sure you will do just fine. Good luck:)

Ladytiger
07-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Here ya go Kev-sorry to hear about your loss. Give the kids a hug from me.

Talking to your kids about loss (http://www.myndtalk.org/htm/children%20and%20loss.htm)

kimp67
07-22-2003, 06:26 PM
I'm very sorry,,,,my cat is 12 & very much a part of the fam!

(((((((((((kidzpca & fam)))))))))))))))

captorquewrench
07-22-2003, 07:14 PM
just don't do the replacement pet. let them mourn this kitty. maybe another kitty later. give them a big hug.

maybe if you can find family pics with kitty in them you can helpt them work on a sort of collage memorial and frame it, while you talk about kitty and it's ok to be sad, but to remember how good and happy kitty made the family.

Tracy'sMom
07-22-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry.

Witch¥
07-22-2003, 07:18 PM
My condolences :(

okie
07-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Sorry to here about the kitty.

stresseater
07-22-2003, 09:52 PM
I am so sorry about your cat. I totally understand the pet death thing. We lost one of our kittens(popcorn) last week. Our boxer got out while we were gone and of course the 7 year old had to find her.:( :(
We lost our lady(aka little fat dog) this morning. She wondered away 3 days ago and came back last night. A coyote(I think) got ahold of her and did quite a bit of damage to her. She couldnt hardly move her back legs and shee passed this morning. It was definatly worse with the kitten because the kids were not expecting it and Jess. found him. All you can do is explain that death as well as accidents are a part of life. Share their grief with them and then move on with life. :( :( :(

cs2ns2
07-23-2003, 03:04 AM
You have my condolences and my prayers. 6 months ago my 9 yr old was sweeping his room, and got mad about something, and hit the bed with the broom. My 7 yr old chihuahua Shelby, was in the bed under the covers, and he didn't know this. He would never have hurt her purposely. She died almost instantly. My DH said it crushed her skull. The whole family was absolutely devastated, but not as much as my son. He blamed himself, for what I consider an accident. We started family counseling for it. I know some see that as extreme, but she was not just a pet, she was a member of our family. We had had her since she was 3 weeks old, because her mother rejected her, and we bottle fed her. I still mourn her. My son is doing much better, but at times he comes to me crying, says he misses her and he apologizes profusely. I always cry with him, reassure him that it was not his fault, and we go to her grave in the backyard and tend the flowers we planted there. The flowers was a suggestion from the counselor, as a way to "keep her memory alive". My husband built a rock bed around the grave so as to keep it "safe" and the kids hung an angel windchime from a small pole next to the grave. When the wind blows these chimes, they tell me it's Shelby saying hello. I agree with whomever said don't go for the replacement pet thing. My DH brought a kitten home for the kids, and we had to get rid of him because the kids wanted nothing to do with him. Sorry if I've gone on and on, but it did feel good to get that out of my system. Good luck with your kids, I hope everything works out.

Lisa03
07-23-2003, 03:30 AM
I am so sorry!!

that is so sad that your son had to find the cat :(

{{HUGS}}}

kidzpca
07-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by cs2ns2
...we go to her grave in the backyard and tend the flowers we planted there. The flowers was a suggestion from the counselor, as a way to "keep her memory alive". My husband built a rock bed around the grave so as to keep it "safe" and the kids hung an angel windchime from a small pole next to the grave. When the wind blows these chimes, they tell me it's Shelby saying hello.

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe this will help the kids get through this tough time for them. Especially my Dot whom won't be home til Friday. Son wanted us to pick her up from camp, but I felt that she was better served going to camp at this time. I know she may be upset with us for not doing so, but her staying at camp serves her better.