PDA

View Full Version : Music Help

Mollusk
07-22-2003, 01:32 AM
Does anyone know what this line means--The ghost of Dirty Dick, is still in search of Little Nell? It's from the song "What It Is" by Mark Knopfler on his CD Sailing to Philadelphia.

TYIA

AllKnowingFool
07-22-2003, 02:34 PM
I don't know what it means Super Dad. Though I am sure someone here will know. :)

ckerr4
07-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I did a seasrch, but couldn't find anything other than the lyrics. I assume it is some sort of a ghost story, maybe, or a local legend. Maybe someone from that part of the country (did the song mention Charleston or somewhere in Georgie - sorry, short-term memory problem, lol) will know?

bonniejeanne
07-23-2003, 12:35 AM
I never heard the song, but I believe it refers to the characters Little Nell and Dick Swiveller from "The Old Curiosity Shop" by Charles Dickens. Here is a brief description I found of a musical based on the book:

The Old Curiosity Shop is regarded as the most improvised of Dickens' novels being originally constructed as a serialisation of events. In this musical the strands and themes of Dickens's tale are merged into a cohesive musical story without reducing any of his power of characterisation. It is a musical melodrama laced with ambition, humour, tragedy and even romance, as the characters search in vain for what they desire. It is through-composed in the tradition of "PHANTOM" and "LES MIZ". And the music is dynamic -- you can sample some tracks below.

Act 1

The Old Curiosity Shop begins with the Single Gentleman (Trent) returning to England after travelling the world. Unfortunately Nell and her Grandfather, the only surviving remnants of his family, have been forced to leave the security of their home (The Old Curiosity Shop) to avoid the clutches of a malicious money lending dwarf, Daniel Quilp. Quilp and Trent, are the catalysts and contrasts who carry the story towards its tragic finale.The first Act introduces the Single Gentleman and his nostalgic desire to seek out his home and relations. It also clearly defines young Nell's relationship with her weak willed Grandfather who is forced leave the Curiosity Shop as a result of his gambling debts to Quilp. Quilp is quickly established as a malignant force, not only to his debtors but to his ineffectual wife and also to Kit, Nell's dearest companion. and a loyal employee of her Grandfather.Quilp is the sole client to a lawyer, Sampson Brass and his ill-tempered sister Sally and uses his control over the hapless pair to persuade them to employ another of his debtors, Dick Swiveller as their new clerk. Quilp realises that the single gentleman could lead him to his prey so Brass obliged to take him on as a lodger much to the annoyance of his sister who takes out her temper on their hapless maidservant. Out on the road Nell and her Grandfather meet more seasoned travellers such as Punch and Judy men (Codlin and Short), a Circus Master (Grinder) and a selection of other inebriated travellers at the Jolly Sandboys Inn. By the end of the first Act both the Single Gentleman and Quilp are both searching for Nell. The Act ends with Quilp reaffirming his belligerent desire to succeed before anyone else.

Act 2

Nell and her grandfather are now working for Mrs. Jarley's waxworks although they are forced to flea once more as the old man's gambling addiction puts them under suspicion. The single gentleman, who is now living at the Brass's Bevis Marks office finds this out from some travelling entertainers (Codlin and Short) and joints forces with Kit in an effort to trace them without alerting the attention of Quilp. The foppish but harmless clerk Dick Swiveller befriends the Brass's oppressed young maidservant whom he christens the "Marchioness" . The girl eventually repays his kindness by looking after him when he falls ill and is promptly disowned by his employers. Quilp, who has been away for weeks searching, returns to discover Brass, his wife and her mother discussing his presumed death and at this point decides to break all ties and to take Nell as his own bride. He instructs Brass to frame young Kit who has annoyed him and then leaves Mrs. Quilp in tears.The plot to incriminate Kit succeeds but the Marchioness has overheard everything and with Swiveller she manages to stop prevent being transported. Brass sees an opportunity to save his own skin and incriminates Quilp as the main culprit. As Sampson signs his confession, Sally escapes and makes her way to the wharf but in a confrontation with Quilp she is murdered. Quilp tries to escape from the police but slips on a treacherous piece of wood and falls to his death.The continuing exhaustive travels by Nell and her Grandfather through unforgiving city landscapes have taken their toll and despite the efforts of a kindly schoolteacher she becomes very ill. The Single Gentleman and Kit eventually discover their whereabouts but they are too late for when they arrive Nell is on her deathbed.

ckerr4
07-23-2003, 09:12 AM
bumping for Mollusk:)