PDA

View Full Version : Guy In Grocer Line Threw $3 At Me???

brooks45
07-21-2003, 08:25 PM
WHAT WHOULD YOU ALL DO??

HERES THE SCENERIO!! I TAKE MY COUPONS AND WENT GROCERY SHOPPING TODAY AND EVERYTHING WAS GOING ALONG SMOOTHLY AT CHECKOUT UNTIL I NOTICED THAT ONE!!!!! OF THE COUPONS DIDNT SCAN SO I ASK THE CASHIER SINCE IT DIDNT SCAN COULD HE GIVE ME THE DIFFERANCE AND HE SAYS IT SCANNED AND I SAID IT DIDNT SHOW UP ON MY RECEIPT WELL THE CASHIER KEPT IGNORING ME! WELL THERE WAS THIS GUY AND HIS WIFE IN LINE BEHIND ME GETTING IMPATIENT,THIS GUY WHIPS OUT $3 OUT OF HIS WALLET AND PRACTICALLY THROWS IT IN MY FACE,I LOOK AT THE CASHIER (WHO WAS THE MANAGER) AND SAID GIVE THE GENTLEMAN HIS MONEY BACK AND REINBURSE ME MY $3 PLEASE (NOW IAM BEING VERY NICE AND CALM THROUGH ALL THIS) PHEW!! CASHIER FINALLY GIVES ME THE $3 AND I LEAVE,,I GET HOME AND UNLOAD MY GROCERIES AND FIND 3 ITEMS ARE MISSING SO I CALL THE STORE AND LET THEM KNOW AND WHILE LOOKING AT MY RECEIPT I SEE A ITEM ON THE RECEIPT THAT I DID NOT BUY BUT WAS RUNG UP ON MY RECEIPT!! SO!!!!!! I GO BACK TO THE STORE GET REINBURSED FOR THE ITEM THAT I DIDNT GET TO BEGIN WITH AND GET MY ITEMS THAT NEVER MADE IT HOME!! THIS WAS THE GROCERY SHOPPING DAY FROM H...!! THANX FOR LISTENING!! I JUST COULDNT BELIEVE WHAT A NIGHTMARE THIS TURN OUT TO BE TODAY!!

Sparkli
07-21-2003, 08:38 PM
holy cow... i would have went ape sh!t on that man... i probably would have seriously chewed him out. it was none of his business at all.

-or-

i would have stuck the 3$ in my pocket... and continued my conversation with the cashier about getting that coupon to scan.
:D

Tammy

Willow
07-21-2003, 08:43 PM
That was very rude of the guy to throw money at you. Some people don't realize how time consuming it is to cut coupons and all that's involved. I would want to make sure that all of my coupons were scanned too. Everyone is always in such a hurry nowadays. What bugs me is when someone tries to pay with their debit card when they know they don't have the funds to cover it. Then they get upset with cashier when she has to deny it.

BigLyd1
07-21-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm glad I've never had to deal with that. I use coupons and I'm sure people have gotten impatient with me when I was trying to set the cashier straight. But nothing like that. Hopefully, you have other stores you can go to.

brooks45
07-21-2003, 08:57 PM
BIGLYD1!! NEEDLESS TO SAY IT WAS VERY HUMILATING BUT IT IS THE ONLY STORE THAT DOUBLES COUPONS!! I JUST HOPE I DONT RUN INTO HIM THERE AGAIN AND WHEN THE MAIN MANAGER OF THE STORE GETS BACK FROM HIS VACATION I FULLY INTEND ON LETTING HIM KNOW ABOUT IT!

OH!! ON A HAPPY NOTE!! I BOUGHT $172.00 IN GROCERYS FOR $65.00 USING COUPONS!! :D :D

jonette5
07-21-2003, 09:10 PM
brooks45...I bow to the coupon Queen! LOL! How did you do that? I can never find enough coupons to even bother with. WAY TO GO!

Sorry about the jerk in line behind ya!

ImaGApeach
07-21-2003, 09:10 PM
you go brooks45 that is alot of savings-if i cut the coupons out i always forget to use them lol
some people are so rude i am afraid i would have stuffed that $3 up his nose or something-i know it was not the cashier but here lately everywhere i go either the cashier and or bagboys are either lazy or act like i am bothering them for them to do their jobs-just the other day i went shopping and me and the cashier had to bag the groceries then the bag boy came and put them in buggy i waited til he was finished and started outside i got out there and was looking for my car and turned around and he was not there i went back in and found my groceries pushed up to where they keep the buggies and just left there and he was just standing there propped up against one of the check out counters i just grabbed my buugy and left i was soo mad but he was a minor lol

Iluvbears
07-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Ahhhhh...This is why I refuse to ever use coupons. The more I read about peoples ordeals with coupons. The more I avoid them....You couldn't pay me enough to use those damn things.

brooks45
07-21-2003, 09:57 PM
OH!! ILUVBEARS!! THIS UPSET ME BAD!! BUT I DIDNT LET IT KEEP ME FROM USING COUPONS!! RIGHT AFTER SHOPPING AT THIS STORE I WENT TO TARGET AND GOT $20.00 WORTH OF GROCERYS AND AFTER COUPONS GOT $8 DEDUCTED WITH NO PROBLEMS! JUST DEPENDS I GUESS!! I WELL CONTINUE TO USE COUPONS NO MATTER!! I JUST THOUGHT THIS GUY WAS OUT OF LINE AND HAD TO VENT AND WHINE A LITTLE,THANKS FOR LISTENING

mesue
07-22-2003, 01:48 AM
This guy was rude, sorry you had to run into such a _________, If I could buy that much groceries for that amount of money I'd be walking on air.

mom4angels
07-22-2003, 03:19 AM
Please tell me how you got that deal. I have tried to use coupons but never get that great of a deal. That is great. I agree with tdeloach1 I would have put the money in my pocket and kept talking to the cashier to get the difference. Then I would have smiled and left afterward. People can be real pain in the A$$ in stores.

Carlie
07-22-2003, 06:33 AM
I have never had that happen to me.. what a jerk! I have had snide comments made.. one day at walmart had about 200$ worth of stuff, had tons of coupons.. the guy kept sighing and said that he'd pay me what my coupons were worth just to hurry me up (the cashier was quite slow..) I said sure.. if you're willing to pay me 170$, because that's how much my coupons were worth.. ended up paying around 30$ for 200$ worth of groceries, and the guy's mouth dropped open, and of course he refused LOL.. I will not stop using coupons because of jerks like that, or cashiers. We get to eat pretty decent because I coupon..If I did not, there would be no way I could afford, on my salary, to feed four people w/out couponing. So, don't let jerks like that get to you.. just pick up the money, smile, say thank you, it'll go to (insert your last name) fund and get your refund for your coupons :).

tiffany21
07-22-2003, 07:13 AM
oh my I would of thrown the money back at hime tell him shere to go and how to get their. sorry you had a jerk behind you in line

Kelsey1224
07-22-2003, 07:30 AM
We LOVE coupons!!! We regularly save 50% of our grocery bill. We have even gone as high as 65%. We could save more but hubby and I buy "luxury" items that don't have coupons for them.

We don't use coupons because we have to...but because we would be stupid not to. Why not spend a little time clipping the coupons and organizing your list.

We also subscribe to "Teri's List". This woman publishes a shopping list each week which is available via internet. She has a database with all the store sale price information, plus all the coupons which have come on.

Her theory is that you do not purchase items based on need, but rather stockpile items by purchasing them when they are at their lowest price.

Let me tell you...IT WORKS!!! It's wonderful when you are out of toothpaste...or detergent...or cereal...or whatever...to just go to the cupboard and get more rather than buying them when they aren't on sale.

Her list used to only be available in S. California (because that's where she lives.) However, I noticed on the website that she has recently expanded to include Texas.

If you are interested in this link...PM me. My hubby was sceptical at first. But the first week we had $200 worth of groceries and the final bill was $110.00. Made a believer out of him!

schsa
07-22-2003, 07:37 AM
I wish I could do that well. No one around here double coupons anything and I'm lucky when I get $10 worth of coupons to reduce my bill.

There has to be some sort of magic that I don't know about. I never leave without my coupons and I never do that good. Of course I'm single and it may have to do with my own buying habits but geesh it would be nice....

Where do you get all of your coupons from? I'm dependent on the Sunday paper.

dlwt
07-22-2003, 09:44 AM
I use coupons. I would have kept the guys $3 bucks and said thank you LOL. Sometimes I screw up with coupons so I know they can be a bit difficult but rarely do I have a big enough problem to not use coupons. Keep on couponing!!!

freebiegrl22
07-22-2003, 10:03 AM
If it was me, I would have taken the 3 bucks, said thank you and asked the cashier for a pack of cigarettes on top of the rest...but I'm a smart ass too...

*I truly would have been pissed if he would have done this, and I can seriously say I would have probably done something I shouldn't have done...like go crazy psycho on his stupid butt...

magenta
07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by schsa

There has to be some sort of magic that I don't know about.

I always think the same thing when I see threads about coupons.
I only use coupons for diapers.

Our Sunday paper never seems to have any good ones and our grocery stores do not double either. Is that the magic?

Someone should give couponing lessons! :)

brooks45
07-22-2003, 10:46 AM
YEAH!! I GOT UP THIS MORNING THINKING I SHOULD HAVE SAID ALOT OF THINGS TO THIS GUY BUT TO LATE NOW I WELL KNOW BETTER NEXT TIME,HOPEFULLY THERE WONT BE ANOTHER GUY LIKE THAT ONE IN LINE BUT IF THERE IS ILL BE READY WITH A ANSWER LOL!

OK!! ABOUT MY COUPONING!! MY STORE DOUBLES AND I CLIP OUT OF THE SUNDAY PAPER ALL $1.00 OFF COUPONS AND BUY ONE GET ONE FREE COUPONS AND I COMPINE COUPONS,IT IS SOME WORK INVOLVED NO DOUBT.

BUT MY REAL SUCCESS STORY IS WHEN I USE MOSTLY $1.00 OFF COUPONS AND SHOP FOR ITEMS THAT ARE ON SALE CLOSE TO $2.00 OR AROUND $2.00 OR $3.00 IT REALLY CUTS THE GROCERY BILL PRICE IN HALF OR MORE
HOPE THAT HELPS SOME!

spicydeals
07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
What grocery store did you go to? just out of curiosity?

brooks45
07-22-2003, 02:51 PM
it is a ralphs grocery store here in calif!!

Xica
07-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by schsa
I wish I could do that well. No one around here double coupons anything and I'm lucky when I get $10 worth of coupons to reduce my bill.

There are no stores that double here either. Most of my savings come from HBA (health and beauty aids) usually purchased at Walgreens where they let people combine Walgreens coupons with manufacturer coupons or Rite Aid where I combine coupons with Rite Aid discounts and rebates. I don't have to HBA for years! Food is a different story. :rolleyes:

I get my coupons from the Sunday paper, coolsavings, smartsource, and anywhere else that lets me print them.

BigLyd1
07-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Now how did I know it was Ralphs? :D Brooks45, BTW, did you ever get my Red Fusion coupons?

brooks45
07-22-2003, 03:44 PM
thanx!!

dangerousfem
07-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Iluvbears
Ahhhhh...This is why I refuse to ever use coupons. The more I read about peoples ordeals with coupons. The more I avoid them....You couldn't pay me enough to use those damn things.

Your kidding?? I would never stop using my coupons for anyone! I save $75-$150 each and everytime I go to the store.. it is nothing for me to go into Giant Eagle (they double up to .99) and my total before coupons will be $120.. and after coupons $15.. I could care less rather the person behind me likes it or not.. they can go to another line...same with the cashier.. my grocery shopping is paying her salary.. no way would I trade in my savings because of some grumpy people.

Infin~
07-22-2003, 04:42 PM
I am so sorry you met an idiot...:(

But...could ya tell me...

What DOES it feel like to have men throw money at you?

:) :) :) :)

Hugs!

Gretch

Maeryn
07-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I have yet to find the couponing secret. Every time I take coupons to the store, I do the price comparison and more often than not I save more by buying the store brand than I do using the coupon for the name brand.

mesue
07-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Infin~
I am so sorry you met an idiot...:(

But...could ya tell me...

What DOES it feel like to have men throw money at you?

:) :) :) :)

Hugs!

Gretch

LMAO

cab244
07-22-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm afraid I have not mastered the are of coupon-ing yet either *sigh*

I'm gonna keep trying though ;)

Barbi_Route66
07-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Steve & I work very hard for our money. Whenever I go grocery shopping, I make sure ALL of my coupons I give the cashier are scanned.

A few years ago, the customer behind me at the check out got an attitude because the cashier was scanning like 25 coupons that I gave her & then I paid with a personal check. This guy was sighing very loudly (he was only buying beer). I shot him a dirty look & came very close to telling him to kiss a certain part of my anatomy! LOL! :D

The cashier could tell he was antsy so she really put fuel on his fire by telling me "Wow! You only paid $45 for $75 of groceries! I want you to shop for me!" :D

kelblend
07-23-2003, 11:40 AM
I know some do not like the instore grocery cards, but between that, sales and my coupons Tuesday I paid $149 instead of $196 for my groceries. That was pretty good, but I've done better. I was out of everything though, so I bought from need. LOL My store does double coupons. Some things though that the kids want, they know has to be on sale and Mom have a coupon or it isn't happening. They had those ice screamers pushups (with fred flintstone on front I think) that normally sell for $3.99 for 9 pushups (NOT i say!) on sale for half off. They were $2 and I had 50 cents off so doubled I paid a buck. I showed my daughter, she said, "Mom, coupons rock!" LOL :0)

Kelsey1224
07-23-2003, 11:44 AM
For those that haven't been successful...you are right...you do need to have a store that doubles them. In S. California I prefer Ralph's because they will allow you to use three of the same coupon (if you are purchasing three items of course.)

Von's only lets you use one coupon.

The other advantage to Ralph's is their membership card. I realize that they are marking up slightly...but I have comparison shopped and their regular price (before Ralphs club) pretty much matches the competitor.

But again...part of the secret is using coupons when items are on sale so that you are getting double savings. So...you stockpile these items when they are at their lowest price...then you have them when you "need" them.

BigLyd1
07-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
... In S. California I prefer Ralph's because they will allow you to use three of the same coupon (if you are purchasing three items of course.)

Yep, what Kelsey said. But our Ralphs only doubles two of the same coupon.

harloo
07-23-2003, 11:57 AM
That was awful. He should of never did that. I would of took the $3 and laughed in his face, and said thanks. Then still asked the cashier to take my $ off.

Hmmm how do you get a good discounts on groceries?

Well, You can wait for certain things to go on sale, and use a coupon for that item that has more value than the sale price.
Most of the time the cashiers will just scan the coupon ,take off full price and move right along unless the scan won't take off the price. Then they sometimes say I can only take off the sale amount, but otherwise they just scan it.

An example:

I bought 2-12 packs of sunkist used bogo for 2.50
2 haagen daz used free coupons(was on sale but the cashier took off full price, also let me use $1 off 2.
bought 2 packs hebrew national beef franks for $5(had $1 off coupons)
2-4 pack of snapple on sale for $5 and had $1 off coupon
1-act 2 box b1g1f in store sale (used a $2 coupon from email) paid .59 for 2 boxes.
1- tombstone pizza on sale for $3.33. used $2.50 coupons

When all was said and done I paid like $7 something after discounts.
And we don't have doubling. Walgreens will let you use their in store coupons, and a manufacturer one.

Like I hoped they would let me use $2.00 off coupon act 2 when they had the popcorn on sale for .79 last week. They did, but I tried to get a bag of hersheys for $1.50 thinking maybe they would just take the 2 bucks off. But the cashier said only .79 cents. still a free box though.

So it's a hit and miss thing. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

BigLyd1
07-23-2003, 12:46 PM
I use lots of coupons but for the fruits and veggies and meats, I just look for what's on sale. I use the coupons for as many other items as I can--including healthy snacks, canned goods, mixes, cereals, drinks (mainly juice and water), paper goods (mainly toilet paper), pet food, and coupons really come in handy with toiletry items.

Kelsey1224
07-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Fireball...you are right about there not being coupons for fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as meat.

For me...this is where Teri's list comes into play for me. Her list does include those items which are at their cheapest...even if there isn't a coupon. For example...she will list the fruits on sale, as well as what meat products are on sale...i.e., chicken breasts.

With regard to meat...I really stock up on the sale items and they are put in the freezer. One week it will be chicken, another pork, another round steak or roast, etc. I do have a really large freezer which is full of meats, etc.

Fresh fruits and vegetables can not be stocked up on, obviously. Those things are purchased each week as needed...but I do try to get those items which are on sale.

Anyone can do this...you don't need Teri's List. You just need to comparison shop using the ad papers that come to your home.

Barbi_Route66
07-23-2003, 01:15 PM
It's true there are rarely coupons for fresh produce & meat. Once in a while, I will get coupons like a free half gallon of milk when you buy 3 boxes of cereal or $1.00 off fresh produce when you buy 2 bottles of salad dressing. I generally have a coupon for the item I have to buy in order to get the free item.

I buy store brands & sale items. Sometimes when a brand item is on sale & I have a coupon, I will sometimes save an extra dime or two uisng the coupon for the brand item.

puffy
07-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Discounts on Fresh fruits, vegetables and meats? Thats why my husband is in the liquor aisle searching out those wine tags! Last trip to Ralphs he contributed:

3- $1 off Any Fresh Chicken
1- $1 Dairy product
2- $1 off Any Beef
4- $1 off Fresh fruits or vegetables
1- $1 Deli Cheese

Our Ralphs is so great that they will double whatever I have with a big smile on their face! Not only that but it makes my husband so proud to contribute to our savings himself! A big thank you to whomever first posted about winetags oh so long ago... Theyve saved me tons and have kept my DH excited about going grocery shopping.

Kelsey1224
07-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by puffy
Discounts on Fresh fruits, vegetables and meats? Thats why my husband is in the liquor aisle searching out those wine tags! Last trip to Ralphs he contributed:

3- $1 off Any Fresh Chicken
1- $1 Dairy product
2- $1 off Any Beef
4- $1 off Fresh fruits or vegetables
1- $1 Deli Cheese

Our Ralphs is so great that they will double whatever I have with a big smile on their face! Not only that but it makes my husband so proud to contribute to our savings himself! A big thank you to whomever first posted about winetags oh so long ago... Theyve saved me tons and have kept my DH excited about going grocery shopping.

I have to plead ignorant on wine tags? What are they.

BTW...Welcome to BBS!

brooks45
07-23-2003, 01:32 PM
thank you all again!! hope this can help some!! here in calif and some other states (not all states) have what they call wine tags(grocer coupons) that slip over the neck of bottles of wines in the liquer dept,, here in calif you can get these wine tags legally without having to buy the wine!! these wine tag coupons are good towards dollars and cents off eggs,meats,veggies,fruit,flowers,hallmark cards,even a blockbuster movie rental and they have them where they say buy a item and get another item free too!! and it depends on whats available at the time you search for them,,but these wine tags are like gold lol!! espicially the meat coupon dollars off! so keep your eyes out for them at your grocery store in the liquer dept,hope that helps answer your ?? fireball!! if u live in calif or a state that have them,, look for these!! goodluck!!

brooks45
07-23-2003, 01:34 PM
zitra!! here in calif you can get the wine tags with no purchase involved

brooks45
07-23-2003, 01:44 PM
not sure about illinois or not!! I would think your best bet is to look in the liquer dept next time your at the grocery store to see if they are there or hopefully someone else here knows!! wish i could be more help!!

brooks45
07-23-2003, 02:22 PM
IF! YOUR STORE HAS THEM IN STATES OTHER THEN CALIF YOU CAN ALWAYS ASK THE STORE MANAGER IF U CAN GET THE WINE TAGS WITHOUT THE PURCHASE OF WINE!! ALL THEY CAN DO IS SAY NO! WORTH A TRY!!

kgerstorff
07-23-2003, 02:35 PM
WOW I didnt know about wine tags, im going to look for them the next time i go shopping. I do alot of my shopping at ALdi's they are alot cheaper then alot of other stores.

puffy
07-23-2003, 06:00 PM
:D :D :D

I'm glad I helped!!! All of the winetags my DH snags say "No purchase Necessary" and have no limitations other than an expiration date... the next time I have a surplus I'll post em here and send em out to whoevers interested. My DH has been pretty heavy handed collecting them, I have to remind him that other people in the world use these too... lol... and with just 2 of us there's only so much chicken I need in my freezer.

Angeleyez
07-23-2003, 06:10 PM
WOW!!! 172.00 in groceries for 62.oo!!! He could have threw 3.00 at me all day for all I would have cared!!! That's great!!

harloo
07-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
THANKS! But, that still doesn't answer my question.

All you got on this trip was junk food: the extra treats that don't represent most of what your family eats: ice cream, soda, pizza, hot dogs.

How do you find coupons to pay for the primary grocery items like fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, lean meat?

I don't see how you eat anything but artery-clogging junk food if you depend on coupons so much 'cause I can't find any coupons for healthy food.

Yep that's true. That was just one instance though. What I find is that their are always high value coupons in a variety of papers for shampoo, snacks, dog food, drinks, tv dinners, the basics. There are not alot for healthy eating. I really don't find too many coupons for meats or vegatables.

I buy all my veggies at the mexican store. They are very cheap avocados, tomatoes, oranges, apples, grapes, cilantro, garlic, etc

And I wait for meats to go on sale at the store. I buy lean turkey ground(sometimes you can find this on sale), tbone steaks(was just on sale) chicken etc. A butcher is better though.

Also, I don't eat all this food all the time. I keep it for guests, or for a day when noone feels like cooking. I just store most of this stuff.

And you are right though, if you are gonna eat healthy then it won't be cheap. Especially if you are going on a diet. I went on the scott and white diet and came out paying more than expecting. And my arteries are not clogged. I'm in great health.:) ;)

harloo
07-24-2003, 09:01 AM
do you have to buy wine to get the tags? I don't drink.:D

Xica
07-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by harloo

In California there's no purchase necessary, but like fireball, I don't feel comfortable taking the tags when I'm not buying the wine.
I think there are just a few states that don't require the purchase.

mesue
07-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by harloo

Thats ok harloo you keep the tags and coupons and send me the wine I'll make sure theres not a drop wasted even if I have to get wasted to do so.LOL

harloo
07-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by mesue
Thats ok harloo you keep the tags and coupons and send me the wine I'll make sure theres not a drop wasted even if I have to get wasted to do so.LOL

ROTFLOL! You are crazy mesue!!!:D :)

brooks45
07-24-2003, 04:26 PM
for those that are curious about buying nothing but junk food,etc with coupons! for the most part yes!! but i figure when i save a $110 on my grocery bill by using coupons i can use that saved money and buy meat,bread,milk,etc healthy foods and iam still saving!!

kelblend
07-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Sometimes you can email the companies that sell the produce shrinkwrapped. I received a coupon for strawberries by doing a survey on the company's site. For the life of me, right now I can't remember the name. My store had carried them, then of course once I got the coupon, they didn't anymore. They got some more back in right before it expired. LOL

mesue
07-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Not trying to start an argument but was just wondering if its against the law for them to make it (coupon)purchase necessary for an alcoholic beverage and so they put it on the wine bottles for the wine buyer but cannot make it purchase necessary since its an alcoholic beverage. Just curious if thats the case. Anybody know?

Donnagg123
07-25-2003, 07:14 AM
I just don't get how you do it. People live on vegetables, meat, grains, but there are rarely coupons for that. The coupons are for chips and ice cream and stuff that's bad for you. How do you feed a family a HEALTHY diet and use so many coupons?

I understand how you feel. I would love to serve my family healthy food, but the sad fact is that healthy food is expensive. When you live on a limited budget you have to find the foods that are more filling than healthy. And if you get a coupon for that "filling" food item them maybe you are able to buy something healthier. When it comes to choosing between a pound of grapes for 99 cents or a pound of hamburger for 99 cents...which is more filling and will feed more people? I wish I had the luxury to feed my family fresh fruits and veggies all the time, but I don't. They wonder why America is so overweight? It is not because they are lazy, most of the time it is because they are broke and when you can get a whole meal at McD's for the same price as a couple pounds of fruit or veggies that is pretty sad. JMHO Most of the time I don't use coupons on food. It is the cleaning supplies and health and beauty items I am able to get for free or dirt cheap. I have used them on other things but only whne I get it free or cheap.

Donnagg123
07-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
I think you can eat much healthier than McDonalds and cheaper.
Well, a couple of pounds of fresh fruit or vegetable IS better than a big mac that's loaded with fat and sodium and toxic additives.
A 5 pound bag of rice is $1--that'll feed someone for weeks at half the price of one greasy big mac.
Same story with beans, which are full of protein.

I agree that it is better for you, but it is not as filling or as cheap. I cannot find rice or beans that cheap.

Carlie
07-25-2003, 10:48 AM
I take winetags off bottles, and coupons off products. I've asked not only the management if it's ok, but the wine stockers (which are hired by the different wine companies..not store employees..) and they say as long as the package is not damaged when I take it off, then I'm good to go. I even had the wine distributer give me a bundle of winetags, and they've told me numerous times that it's ment as something to catch the consumer's eye. and that anyone can have them, whether or not they buy the wine. it's all promotional items. You cannot say it's stealing when you get permision to do so LOL.. If you do not like it, oh well.. I spent lots of time collecting my winetags, and I'm not feeling guilty for doing so LOL... (btw.. most people that do buy the wine, takes off the winetags in the first place.. they don't use them! You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen this happen right before me.. of course, I'd walk right behind them and pick them up LOL)

kelblend
07-25-2003, 11:22 AM
What if the particular type of wine you wanted to purchase was missing it's tag, but another type had one? Would anyone feel they had the right or no rights to take the tag off the one not being purchased and put it on the one being purchased? Just a question to throw into the mix.

brooks45
07-25-2003, 12:19 PM
LOL!

Xica
07-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by brooks45
IN SOME OPINION IT IS NOT OK TO TAKE WINE TAGS!! BUT IT IS OK TO GET THE WINE TAGS WITH THE PURCHASE OF WINE SO THAT ETHICALLY YOU CAN TAKE THE WINE HOME AND USE IT FOR COOKING AND GET DRUNK OFF YOUR TAIL IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILDREN AND FAMILY MEMBERS AND SAY IAM A GOOD RIGHTOUS HONEST PERSON!! YIPPEE!!

Oh please. Just because some people don't think it's ethical to take tags without making the purchase doesn't mean they're spouting off about how "righteous" they are. :rolleyes: If you were trying to be funny, I'm sorry but I don't see the humor in making fun of people who don't agree with what you're doing.

Stealing is stealing. Going to church, sunday school, choir, whatever does not take away from that fact. I AM NOT calling anyone a thief. In some states it's perfectly LEGAL to take tags without a purchase of wine. In some states, it could be considered shoplifting.

brooks45
07-25-2003, 12:30 PM
hmmm

brooks45
07-25-2003, 12:31 PM
hmmm

Xica
07-25-2003, 12:32 PM
If you're in CA, it's not illegal, therefore you're not stealing. What's to worry about? I think the point fireball made was that just because it's legal does not mean it's ethical. We're all adults, however, and are free to make our own choices.

brooks45
07-25-2003, 12:33 PM
ok!! hmmm!!

brooks45
07-25-2003, 01:45 PM
hmmm!!

puffy
07-25-2003, 11:46 PM
When I first read the opinions stating using "no purchase necessary" wine tags without purchasing wine as being equivalent to ripping open packages to get "purchase necessary" movie tickets I was seething. I thought about it all day long as I was very personally offended by someone calling me a thief (as I'm sure you might understand). As the day went on I started to understand how someone might see this as stealing as it would seem that they are placed on bottles solely for wine purchasers. I get that viewpoint. In the end Brooks45 and everyone else who has ever used a wine tag without purchasing wine, if they want to think of us as unethical immoral coupon obtainers I'm okay with that considering I dont know any of you and cant really judge your judgement of me. I guess it all boils down to how we each feel about things within our selves. If you dont agree with what I do thats great, I'm sure you are all able minded people who will do whats right for you, its what makes life an interesting journey. Signing up for samples of items you dont intend to ever purchase, signing up for multiple samples and/or coupons of the same type, fudging your information to ensure receiving free magazines, taking surveys under multiple user id's. I am sure that we all do things that someone else out there will judge as immoral and unethical. I for one, only find one of the listed items questionable (wonder which one?:)) but I'm sure ALL of them are okay for someone and NONE of them are okay for someone else. I am willing to gain and maintain friendships with those from either camp.

Edited to add: Brooks45- I think I crapped in your thread!! I'm sorry!

brooks45
07-26-2003, 05:14 AM
no!! lol!! you didnt crap in my thread

puffy
07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Thats EXACTLY what I was stating Zitra!! Not everyone does what I posted!!:) It was NOT an accusation in any way shape or form :p. Just took a moment to point out that we all have different rules we live by, and as long as your rules dont infringe on my right to practice my own rules (unless I'm psychotic of course) and I remember that your opinions are perfectly valid even though I dont apply them to myself or agree with them then I, for one, will be sleeping pretty at night! And in the end I appreciate the comments from those of opposing viewpoints, it allowed me the time to think about it more deeply and feel more secure in the choices I make while I'm out bargain hunting.

harloo
07-26-2003, 10:03 AM
What I don't understand is why do people get offended over someone saying that taking wine tags is unethical? IMO, it's their opinion. Who cares?

It says no purchase necessary in California, which means in California you can get the tags free. Now whether someone agrees with it, or don't agree with it then who cares?

I wonder how can people get so offended over any little thing? A coupon thread turned into a war zone about wine tags. :eek:

Shancopp
07-26-2003, 10:25 AM
ANyone wanna send me some wine tags??? (if it's legal!) Never see em here in IN!

Shancopp
07-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Edited...double post?????

brooks45
07-26-2003, 01:36 PM
I just wanted to ad one more thing that i forgot to mention about wine tags!! to begin with not every single wine bottle has a wine tags on them. the wine distributor walks up to the cases and cases of wine on shelfs and put the wine tags on the necks of the wine bottles randomly
example... 5 wine tags well be put on necks of wine out of the 50 bottles of wine,they are a promotional item!! no differant then a display of forms that you get off of displays when you get a try me free form,,,etc they are promoting the wine!! I have even seen the same wine tag put on differant bottle wine company so it is not just one wine company putting out one coupon wine tag!! I would think it is the distributors distributing them on the bottles (not in all cases but some)

brooks45
07-26-2003, 06:49 PM
I give up!!