PDA

View Full Version : We met with the surgeon for my son's chest,

CABANN
07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
After talking with the doctor about my teen's pectus excavatum, my concerns didn't lessen.

I guess Zach's chest is pretty severe according to the surgeon. I was told that Zach's heart is pushed to the side and a little "cramped". He/doctor said that to correct DS's chest he would go in through the chest area, remove a good portion of the cartiledge (sp?) and then put a bar behind the rib cage to pop the ribs up to the normal shape/position. The surgery will take at least 5 hours and Zach will have to be in the hospital at least 5 days. He wont be able to do any heavy upper body lifting for three month following the operation.
That means he will have to quite the rifle team since the rifles are at least 16lbs, and he spins, tosses and catches them. Zach wasn't too happy about that.

The benefits of the surgery are:

1. his heart won't be compressed
2. his lungs will have more room for air intake
3. self-esteem (DS won't be embarrasses to walk around without a shirt on)

On the negative side, since Zach's chest is so severe, chances are his chest could cave in again.

The bar will have to stay in for 4 years. Then another operation to have it removed.

I didn't like the idea of Zach having the surgery before, but now that I know his heart is cramped I feel the surgery has to be done.

We, as a family, are suppose to discuss it tonight and call back tomorrow to schedule it.

I am still scared that my first born is going in for a 5 hour surgery. It is so hard being a parent. I just hope I am making the right decision.

mugwump
07-21-2003, 02:25 PM
This must be terribly hard for you. Sending good vibes and

{{{HUGS}}}

CABANN
07-21-2003, 02:36 PM
thanks marci-h. I will take all the good vibes I can get.

ckerr4
07-21-2003, 02:37 PM
{{{CABANN and Zach}}}

Willow
07-21-2003, 02:44 PM
(((((cabann)))))

suziebee20
07-21-2003, 03:13 PM
(((((Cabann))))) It's a though decision to make, but I wish you the best no matter what your family decides iss best.

~Roxy~
07-21-2003, 04:04 PM
{{{Cabann&Son}}}

eve17
07-21-2003, 04:04 PM
{{{CABANN and Zach}}}

Victorious
07-21-2003, 04:05 PM
(((cabann)))

waterfowl
07-21-2003, 06:57 PM
(((((Cabann and Zack)))))

Tasha405
07-21-2003, 07:13 PM
{{{CABANN}}}

jadegentle
07-21-2003, 08:08 PM
{{{CABANN & Zach}}} It's hard watching your child go through surgery, I know. MY BIL's cousin had this done, but for his lungs. He had the bar removed last Thursday and things look great. Not sure how long he had it in, some years I believe, but he had no probs with it. I will keep ya'll in my prayers.

kidzpca
07-21-2003, 08:17 PM
As you know I have had to face having my dot, Tiffany go through surgeries, and many other medical procedures in order to save her life.

All in only a matter of about 10 months.

You will know what is best at the time you need to know it.

(((((((HUGS)))))))

jcw
07-21-2003, 08:49 PM
{{{{{{{{Cabann and Zack}}}}}}}}}}

jonette5
07-21-2003, 09:26 PM
{{{{{{{{Cabann and Zack}}}}}}}}}}

peaceluver
07-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Cabann and Zack I am prayig for you both.

justbeachy
07-22-2003, 06:14 AM
{{{Cabann & Zach}}} I have not experienced anything like this with my own but being a mother I cancertainly empathize with what you are going through. I wish you both the best.

feliciac
07-22-2003, 06:16 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{cabann & family}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

tresall
07-22-2003, 03:15 PM
You know that I'm always here for you guys. Just let me know and I'll be there in whatever capacity I can. :) Everything will be just fine. Think positive.

the1bea
07-23-2003, 05:40 AM
I know how scary it is to have a child go through surgery. my 3 year old had 5 of them since sept. 02. Surgery sounds scarry, but after its all done, things will be much better! Like you said, he will have more room in his chest, he wont be emmbarrased without his shirt.

CABANN
07-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Thank You everyone for the good wishes and ((((((hugs)))))))).

We tried to schedule the surgery yesterday but the doctor wasn't in the office, so the front office told us that they would talk to the doctor this morning and set up the apt. We are wishing that they can get the surgery scheduled for next week. Zach will have to quit his job for the rest of the summer but he should be still able to participate in the Summer Leadership Camp in Aug. for ROTC as long as he doesn't do push up and sits up. I guess we will have to talk to his Col. about that.

tresall, I will call you as soon as the surgery is scheduled. I know you want to be at the hospital when he is in surgery and I want you there too (Tresall is Zach's Godmother). But maybe you can help my mom and give her a break watching the kids during the week when I am at the hospital. I can tell you it is going to be a long week. I can't imagine leaving Zach . I am probably going to drive him nuts.:)

CABANN
07-23-2003, 10:15 PM
The surgeons office called today and asked me when I would like the surgery scheduled. I said ASAP because Zach begins his 10th grade year Aug. 25. Well she shuffled through papers/books in front of her and said " I don't think we can ge it completed before the beggining of the school year". So I said "Well, the earliest apointment that you can make and we will arrange our schedule around it. She did more paper flipping and then said I need to call the hospital to see what times they have.

I am ready to have this procedure done, as well as my son, but come on people, give me a date and time. Sorry but I am frustrated. I want this over with.

This surgery is already making me scared, and I don't want to put it off. I just wish we could have a date for the surgery.

Waiting is the hardest part.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: