PDA

View Full Version : Short-track tempers flare in New Hampshire (NASCAR)

Lisa03
07-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Calling Gordon's team "two-faced," Biffle was upset over what he called a broken deal to allow him get a lap back.

Biffle said he and Gordon's team made a deal, where Biffle would let Gordon get a jump on a restart, and Gordon would let Biffle back on the lead lap if a caution came out quickly.

Biffle let Gordon go on a restart on Lap 108, and the yellow flag waved two laps later. But Gordon didn't slow to allow Biffle to get past him.

An angry Biffle pushed Gordon up the track after the yellow and was later summoned to the NASCAR hauler because of the move. But once he explained his story, Winston Cup director John Darby agreed.

"I understand if he's way out there, he can't slow down and let me come back," Biffle said of Gordon. "But the caution comes out right away, and I'm not even five car-lengths off of him, and he runs me back to the caution and won't let me have my lap back.

"That's bull----. I don't do him like that. I let him go, like I said I would, and then he doesn't give me my lap back."

Biffle, who later made up a lap and rallied to finish 10th, said he would not have expected Gordon to give him a lap back, but "we made a deal."

"If I wouldn't have let him go right there, I might have been able to get in front of him, and then the caution comes out, I would have got him back on my own," Biffle said.

"Instead, I say, 'OK, go ahead' and make a deal. We get along good. I respect the guy."

But that didn't stop Biffle from being mad at Gordon.

"They're just two-faced," Biffle said. "That's the way it goes. That's this sport."

Biffle understood why he was called to the NASCAR hauler.

"They didn't know the deal-making going on," Biffle said. "(Darby) doesn't want me running the leader up in the fuzz going into Turn 1. I told them the whole deal, and he totally understands. He said, 'Jeff Gordon shouldn't have done that.' It's up to him."

Make People Mad Mile?
Biffle wasn't the only driver upset. Rusty Wallace and Tony Stewart shoved each other around under caution. John Andretti was ticked off at Jimmy Spencer. And Mike Wallace was upset at Ward Burton.

Seems the Magic Mile was more like the Make People Mad Mile.

The first guy to speak his mind was John Andretti, who was angry with Jimmy Spencer for an accident on lap 10.

John Andretti's team leaves a little present at Jimmy Spencer's hauler. Credit: Turner Sports Interactive
"I'm furious," said Andretti, driving his first race for Haas CNC Racing. "Jimmy Spencer flat just took me out. That's disappointing. It drives me nuts to think that another guy would do that.

"I got hit three or four times by him. I thought, 'Oh, well, he just got in deep' because I made a mistake trying to get around DJ and got sideways, so he got a run on me.

"But I was still on the outside of him. And then we got down into 1, and he hit me once, and then he hit me a second time and got me all the way around.

"It's really disappointing. He's got a full-time job. He's not making life any easier for me, I can tell you that. I don't know. I don't have much to say. I'm really, really disappointed for the team, I'm disappointed for me, I'm disappointed in the day. We had a good car, and we were just taken out for no reason."

Andretti didn't retaliate on the racetrack, but his team deposited some parts from the wrecked car on the lift of Spencer's hauler.

Spencer said he was mad, too, but not at Andretti. He was upset at an unnamed driver for spinning him out late in the race.

"We had a top-five car that finished 15th today," Spencer said. "I'm pretty upset right now, so I better not say too much. ... We got spun out, so that's the way it goes."

That's the way it went for Mike Wallace, too. He was mad at Ward Burton for spinning him out on lap 118.

"I guess (Burton) decided he needed the position worse than I did off 2, and he turned me around," Wallace said. "I guess you can't race with the 22. Sorry."

Dale Earnhardt Jr., running behind Burton and Wallace, saw it coming.

"Wallace made Ward really (mad)," Junior said on his in-car radio. "I think he ran into Ward about every lap for three or four laps. God almighty, that was awesome. A wreck waiting to happen."

On lap 165, Rusty Wallace and Tony Stewart were battling for position off turn 4 when Wallace appeared to move up, pinching Stewart into the wall. Stewart bounced off and clipped the bumper of Wallace's car, ripping it off.

Under caution, the two bumped again, with Wallace slamming into Stewart's car in turn 1.

"I'm driving like a dump truck," Stewart to his crew after the race went green. "The toe is all knocked out from the 2' putting us in the fence."

Wallace left quickly after the race, and crew chief Bill Wilburn didn't say much.

"We got run into a few times today, but that doesn't happen if you're driving away from them, and we didn't do that today," Wilburn said.

Seems like more than one driver "got run into" Sunday.

smeans
07-21-2003, 08:04 AM
that was an AWESOME race!!! definately one of my favorites so far this season. and i really got a kick out of tony and rusty tee hee.

MY MAN GOT ANOTHER TOP 5 WOO HOO!! GO RYAN!!!!

captorquewrench
07-21-2003, 09:39 AM
i didnt get to see all of the race..kids! LOL. it was great. good to see DJ back in the top 10 and WOW on Matt's points lead increase! WOO HOO matt!