PDA

View Full Version : I am really worried.......

CABANN
07-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Yesterday hubby and I ran some errands, and while we were shopping I saw him leaning against a shelf, kinda catching his breath. His skin tone turned red and he was very disoriented. I got him a cold water bottle because he said he was dehydrated but I think it is something more. He was a little disoriented for a good hour after that.

About a month ago, he finally went into the doctor (over tens years past since his last apt). And he found out he has high blood pressure. He was suppose to go back last week to finish up the test the doctors wanted to run, but he canceled that apt.

I just don't know what to do. He won't go back to the doctor. It was a fight to get him to go the last time. He is under high stress at work and hasn't taken a vacation in years. He did promise that he would take a week off this summer, but the way things are looking, that won't happen.

How can I make him go back to the doctors and finish off the test that need to be completed.

I am really worried about him.

DBackFan
07-20-2003, 08:03 AM
Gosh thats a hard one. I guess I would just tell him how much you love him and don't want to go the rest of your life without him! He needs to see the Dr, he may need meds to control the blood pressure. Best of luck to you and hubby too.

tootie71
07-20-2003, 08:20 AM
The same thing happen to my hubby....and it was high blood pressure.About being disoriented...he was on his way to work one morning and the headlights from an approaching car "blinded" him and he said he kinda lost it. He had no idea where he was for a few minutes.Had to pull off the road til his head cleared. It scared him so bad he did go to the doctor and is now on three different meds for high blood pressure.And doing great,btw. His face would turn so red and he was also under alot of stress at work.I don't want to scare you,but the doc told hubby if he didn't still taking care of hisself better (stress, eating habits,etc.) he would be dead before he was 40 and he is 37. I don't have any advice on how to get him to the doc, hubby wouldn't go either until that happen to him. (((hugs)))

CABANN
07-20-2003, 08:29 AM
He is on lisinopril for his blood pressure.When he went in the last time, his blood pressure was 180/100. He said he took it again at the local drug store it had gone down but he didn't tell me the #'s. According to him he forgot. Yeah right.

He is still slepping this morning which is very unusual for him to sleep in. But I am keeping everyone quite so he can get his rest.

I just wish he wasn't so stubborn and he would go back to the doctors. He really scared me yesterday.

Like I said it was huge fight to get him to make an apt. last time. I don't know how to make him go in again.

Willow
07-20-2003, 08:47 AM
That's scary. I hope you can get him to go back to the doctors.

Iluvbears
07-20-2003, 11:26 AM
High blood pressure can cause a heart attack or stroke. Your DH needs to go see his doctor.

Has your DH been checked for Diabetes?

Kelsey1224
07-20-2003, 11:34 AM
You are obviously not getting through to him. Time for some tough love.

I would ask him about the kind of life insurance he has. If you haven't made pre-paid funeral arrangements already. I would tell him that you are making appointments to meet with someone as it is obvious the way he is going...you are going to need this service soon. Tell him that you will probably be too upset when he goes to handle this and you want to take care of it now.

Also ask him if there are pension provisions through his employer that you need to know about.

Explain that since he refuses to take care of his health...you are going to make sure that you are taken care of when he is gone!

I get he goes to the doctor (after he gets mad...LOL)

In all seriousness...I am really not joking about this. This is what my step mother had to do with my dad. He was always sure she would die before him and he kept her in the dark. This was a wake-up call for him.

moe265
07-20-2003, 11:48 AM
If this is the first medication he has been put on for high blood pressure then it may not be the right one or not the correct dosage. Yesterday was a warning that he should take very seriously. He needs to walk in to the doctor instead of being rolled into the ER.

Widgetsx3
07-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Ask him If he won't go for himself will he please go for you. That you love him too much, and that you don't want to be a widow. Men....pig headed creatures that they are!

schsa
07-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Kelsey had it right. Sit him down and go over his insurance, since without medication he's going to kill himself, as well as any funeral arrangements. You might even consider going to a funeral home with him in the car so he understands that you expect him to die if he doesn't start to take care of himself.

Maybe he will get the point. And if he doesn't get some extra insurance on him so that you will be taken care of when you become a widow.

GAWildKat
07-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Ok CABANN, your hubby has me steamed. :mad: :mad: My dad suffered from HBP all of my life and it led to more serious problems like clogged arteries and heart attacks. Dad was 76 when he passed away in 97. I was to turn 23 the month he passed away. Granted he lived a long life but he missed out on seeing his newest granddaughter, and my fiancee. For years it was difficult to get him to the doctor to monitor his health but in the end it was me that helped change him a bit and he did a little better. He never even told us when he realized he had cancer til it was too late to be treated. In his eyes it was dying on his terms because he was ready. The doctors told me he might have lived another 10 yrs had he bothered to take better care of himself. Show this to your hubby and let him see. I spent most of my teen yrs in and out of hospitals because my dad had heart trouble. If you have children they could be heading for the same thing. I wish it on noone what I went through with Dad.

Missysmom
07-20-2003, 12:41 PM
High Blood Pressure is very serious. Make him go to the doctor.
My husband had high blood pressure, he didn't do what he was told, never took his medicine when he was suppossed to, still kept drinking beer.. Well, July 31, 1998 he had a stroke, stayed in a coma for two weeks, he died August 13, 1998. He never came out of the coma, he was 50 years old.. PLEASE Get him to the Doctor.

Tasha405
07-20-2003, 01:02 PM
I would just try to talk to him and let him know how much you care and how worried you are about him. {{{Hugs}}}

CABANN
07-20-2003, 01:40 PM
When hubby woke up, we had a long talk about what happened yesterday at the store. He doesn't think it had anything to do with his BP. He said he had a really hard week and probably didn't drink enough water. He went onto say that at least twice a day during the week he was up on the roof at his work fixing ac units or in the rafters adjusting vents. Since the temp. has been so high here (averaging 104)he feels he let himself get dehydrated. Every morning when he left for work I would send two large frozen water bottles with him so he could keep himself hydrated. But who knows if he even drank them. Afew times he would just leave them in his car.

When I asked him when he was going to make another apt. for the doctor he said when he gets time. I know he is very stressed and short handed at work, but I told him that he NEEDS to make time for it. He brought up at least 15 reasons why he won't be able to for a month or so. I found out that the Kaiser near us will take Saturday apt. so when he gets home from playing disk golf with the boys, I am going to have him call.

He also wants to wait until our oldest has his surgery scheduled before he starts making his own apointments. We will find out tomorrow when DS surgery will be because we meet with the surgeon.

I think I am going to have hubby read this thread and all the post. Maybe some of these post will make him think twice. I hope so. BUt if he won't make the call for another apointment then I guess I will have to do it for him. Then again I have no idea if he will cancel it or not.

Why does he have to be so stubborn?:mad:

Tasha405
07-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Just in case he reads it...

CABANN's hubby, please go see the doctor. She is really worried about you! High BP is so dangerous. I hope everything works out ok. {{{Hugs}}}

tljohn123
07-20-2003, 03:59 PM
I just had to reply to this.....
My dad did the exact same thing...he kept putting off his own health and well being because he 'didn't have the time'. We finally got him to make an appt. to see the dr. and then he cancelled it because my sister went into the hospital for a couple of days. He refused to order new glasses because of money---even though insurance was available.

Don't mean to scare you here, but unfortunately, my dad never did find the time. He died 10 days after his 38th birthday---he's been gone for 20 years now.

Cabann...make him TAKE the time...please

CABANN
07-21-2003, 10:23 AM
I asked hubby to read this thread and he kinda shrugged it off but I did catch him reading over my shoulder last night. I told him that I am not ready to be a widow yet and had him think what would happen to the four kids if anything happen to him. We talked into the night and he agreed if I made an apointment for a Saturday or even after 5 on a weekday that he would go in.

DH is looking and feeling better today after the weekend, I just hope he has a better week at work than he had last week. I wish he didn't have to push himself so hard and wear himself out. But he is so stubborn and has to be "Superman". MEN!!!!!!!

Kelsey1224
07-21-2003, 10:30 AM
High blood pressure is not called the "silent killer" for nothing.

I hope he carries through and keeps his appointment.

CABANN
07-21-2003, 02:20 PM
I made his appointment and I couldn't get a Sat. or evening time but I did get him in August 12 at 8:30 in the morning. I am not going to let him cancel it!!!!!!!!

DivineMsDi
07-22-2003, 08:43 AM
My mom has high blood pressure. She takes medicine but seems like it is fine...not changed her life at all, except has to watch what she drinks with the pills. Every day science comes up with better and better ways to treat things. I know how your hubby feels, I hate the doctors and avoid them as well, but sometimes you cannot ignore major problems. Good luck

BigLyd1
07-22-2003, 12:45 PM
I take Diovan for my HBP. No side effects or problems whatsoever. And it's kept my blood pressure low. I say it's worth it.

mesue
07-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Talk to him about strokes and provide papers from the internet, pamphlets, etc., the debiltating effects it will have on him, if he does not like drs he will be spendiing a lot of time with them and in and out of hospitals and therapy sessions. I used to work in a nursing home and saw a lot more young people there than one would think suffering from strokes. If he is like my husband and just shuts you out and won't listen write him a letter about how you feel and what might happen to him when just going back to the dr and following up is simple and quick compared to what he might go through otherwise. Good Luck!

Barbi_Route66
07-26-2003, 08:17 AM
(((CABANN))) Men (in general) do not like going to doctors.

From what you described, he is in danger of having a heart attack or stroke. He needs to keep all of his appointments with his doctor so that his blood pressure can be accurately monitored. Even though he's on blood pressure pills, they may not be working to their full potential & the doctor may need to change his medication numerous times until the right one is found. He may also need a duiretic, in addition to the blood pressure pills (getting rid of excess fluid will help lower his pressure).

If you have a printer, go to some medical sites & print out information about high blood pressure in put it where he will see it (tv remote). He may get the message.

Talk to him & tell him that he needs to take care of himself because you want to spend your golden years with him. Encourage him to take some time off from work (even if it's just a few days here & there. If he gets very sick because of his blood pressure, he won't be able to work.

That's a long time for him to see the doctor. Call back & ask the receptionist if they have any cancellations within the next few days. If not, leave a message for the nurse or doctor to call you about your hubby's blood pressure. They can override the appointment schedule that the receptionist has & they may be able to squeeze him in within a day or two.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.