PDA

View Full Version : Common Courtesy

squirt
07-20-2003, 07:04 AM
:confused: What about excuse me!!
Where did IT go? When I am shopping and I cut in front of a person :eek: I always say excuse me, but if someone cuts in front of me do I hear it NOPE!!! If you accidently bump someone in the act of walking down the street, entering/exiting a building, do you say 'excuse me'. Or do you wait to see if they are going to come at you with cuss words. Where did common courtsey go??

Another one is in traffic, the line is thirty cars long, a person is waiting to enter the street from a gas station, or a drive way. Do you take a minute to let them in!!! I sometimes do, a wave of the hand to say thank you would be nice. It irks me no end when they do not.

Where did common courtsey go!!! It seems we've lost it someplace in our fast paced world.

If we take a minute to say thank you, or excuse me, it will make our day better, even if they don't appreciate it, it makes us or least me feel better.

And I always like to say 'Have a good day'.

tiffany21
07-20-2003, 07:37 AM
I think people don't take the time out to think about the little works. as thank you and excuse me :rolleyes:

Crick
07-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by squirt
:confused: What about excuse me!!
Where did IT go? When I am shopping and I cut in front of a person :eek: I always say excuse me, but if someone cuts in front of me do I hear it NOPE!!! If you accidently bump someone in the act of walking down the street, entering/exiting a building, do you say 'excuse me'. Or do you wait to see if they are going to come at you with cuss words. Where did common courtsey go??

Another one is in traffic, the line is thirty cars long, a person is waiting to enter the street from a gas station, or a drive way. Do you take a minute to let them in!!! I sometimes do, a wave of the hand to say thank you would be nice. It irks me no end when they do not.

Where did common courtsey go!!! It seems we've lost it someplace in our fast paced world.

If we take a minute to say thank you, or excuse me, it will make our day better, even if they don't appreciate it, it makes us or least me feel better.

And I always like to say 'Have a good day'.

I always say "excuse me" if I have to go around someone in a store. I always say "thank you" after checking out, Will stop to let someone out in traffic, Wave to them if they let me out into traffic, and I smile and say "good morning" or "good evening" to people I pass while walking. Don't think it's a lost art nor does it take any extra effort. Just the way I was taught. Think it's also appropriate to hold the door open for someone entering a building or room behind you regardless of their age or sex.

ckerr4
07-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Aw Crick, you've been talking to my husband, lol. He wil hold the door FOREVER (it seems)!!! He always holds the door for people, man or woman. It's how he was raised. I mean, I hold the door for people too, but after a while, I think, hmm, I should go home now, but not him. I always think the store should pay him:p

squirt - I was just thinking about this the other day. I was walking behind a pregnant lady at the mall, coming out of sears, and she practically slammed the door on me and my son (who is almost 4)! I understand she's pregnant, but I was RIGHT BEHIND her!! That made me think - why can't people be polite anymore? I remember when I was pregnant, people wouldn't hold the door for me. They would cut me off, take my parking place. So maybe it's just me? But of course, I see it's not.
I wonder if it's how people are reared, but I just don't know:confused:

Willow
07-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ckerr4
Aw Crick, you've been talking to my husband, lol. He wil hold the door FOREVER (it seems)!!! He always holds the door for people, man or woman. It's how he was raised. I mean, I hold the door for people too, but after a while, I think, hmm, I should go home now, but not him. I always think the store should pay him:p

squirt - I was just thinking about this the other day. I was walking behind a pregnant lady at the mall, coming out of sears, and she practically slammed the door on me and my son (who is almost 4)! I understand she's pregnant, but I was RIGHT BEHIND her!! That made me think - why can't people be polite anymore? I remember when I was pregnant, people wouldn't hold the door for me. They would cut me off, take my parking place. So maybe it's just me? But of course, I see it's not.

My son will stand and hold the door too. LOL We take a bus a lot because I don't have a car so if we are inside the little entrance way waiting for the bus and he sees someone coming he will go and open the door. Most of the people will thank him but every once in a while someone will walk through without saying anything. Depending on what kind of a mood I'm in when someone walks through without saying thank you I will say you're welcome. LOL My son will say how come you said that, they didn't say thank you. I tell him I'm just being sarcastic because they should of said thank you but I guess their mommy never taught them that word. LOL

justme23
07-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Patchouli
My son will stand and hold the door too. LOL We take a bus a lot because I don't have a car so if we are inside the little entrance way waiting for the bus and he sees someone coming he will go and open the door. Most of the people will thank him but every once in a while someone will walk through without saying anything. Depending on what kind of a mood I'm in when someone walks through without saying thank you I will say you're welcome. LOL My son will say how come you said that, they didn't say thank you. I tell him I'm just being sarcastic because they should of said thank you but I guess their mommy never taught them that word. LOL

Oh, I so do this... my husband holds the door forever and I always say you're welcome VERY loudly to the rude ppl who think it's his duty to open it for them... and when someone cuts me off in the store w/out saying excuse me I will say excuse you very loudly as well... perhaps if they get embarassed enough they'll learn to say it more... Hubby keeps tellin me I'm gonna smart off to the wrong person and get beat up or shot... but hell, even my BIRD knows how to say please and thank you, it can't be very much harder to teach a HUMAN.

Willow
07-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by justme23
Oh, I so do this... my husband holds the door forever and I always say you're welcome VERY loudly to the rude ppl who think it's his duty to open it for them... and when someone cuts me off in the store w/out saying excuse me I will say excuse you very loudly as well... perhaps if they get embarassed enough they'll learn to say it more... Hubby keeps tellin me I'm gonna smart off to the wrong person and get beat up or shot... but hell, even my BIRD knows how to say please and thank you, it can't be very much harder to teach a HUMAN.

Thank you is such an easy thing to say. It doesn't take much effort. I guess some people get so wrapped up in themselves and what they are doing that they loose all sense of courtesy.

suziebee20
07-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm the kind of person who always says excuse me. If someone bumps into me, I'm the one to say it... not sure why, didn't even notice I did it till boyfriend told me. I hold the door when there are people who are close to behind me. I understand where you are coming from, it seems some people are so in a hurry to get nowhere that they forget to be polite when they run ya down or see ya comin.

It's also nice to let people cut in front in big traffic, I'de do it if I drove, however I can't stand it when we are behind someone who lets every single person go either!

The world would be a nicer place if everyone said please and thank you.

Tasha405
07-20-2003, 01:00 PM
I always say excuse me, thank you and so on. Its just the right thing to do. Some people just don't care at times. I mean they will walk out in front of you, hit your buggy or whatever and then look at you like you're crazy. lol

Queensown
07-20-2003, 02:15 PM
I remember when I was pregnant, people wouldn't hold the door for me. They would cut me off, take my parking place. So maybe it's just me? But of course, I see it's not.

I have been noticing this alot lately, now that I'm late in my pregnancy I am quite umm... Slow when walking around the mall or wherever, and I find people will Sigh and practically knock me down trying to get around me because I'm holding them up. Today at the grocery store I was crossing at the crosswalk to get into the store and someone actually drove their car AROUND me rather than waiting for me to finish crossing. (And I mean made a BIG deal about swerving to the side, not that they went by when there was enough room to safely drive by) I'm so bummed that people are in such a hurry they treat people like this, I have developed a new respect for those who are disabled or elderly and have to deal with situations like this everyday.

ckerr4
07-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Isn't that something Queensown? It's not really that much extra time, but people seem to be in such a hurry:(
It just struck me as so odd, because I worked through my pregnancy (teaching), and everyone at work was so accomodating (put your feet up, do you need a break, etc) and then I would go shopping, or out to do errands, and people would act like I was just in the way! Like I was so big that I was taking up their space, lol.

MommyG3
07-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Isn't that something Queensown? It's not really that much extra time, but people seem to be in such a hurry:(
It just struck me as so odd, because I worked through my pregnancy (teaching), and everyone at work was so accomodating (put your feet up, do you need a break, etc) and then I would go shopping, or out to do errands, and people would act like I was just in the way! Like I was so big that I was taking up their space, lol.

Ckerr, it happened with me too. :rolleyes:

I have been trying to get my son to remember his manners, but he is the world's worst about cutting people off when he is in the store with me. :mad: I am gonna work him over when he comes back and tell him how sweet it is for a young man to hold the door for a lady. ;)

mugwump
07-21-2003, 11:05 AM
I agree with you, Squirt. Being of the older generation, I sometimes feel that courtesy is a lost art. I get tired of being pushed and shoved and having people literally gawk at me when I speak nicely to a service clerk or cashier.

squirt
07-21-2003, 12:00 PM
It's nice to know courtsey is not really a lost art, I try to put myself in the other person's place, haveing a door slammed in my face, not letting me in to get out of a driveway or service station. Again thank you for the feedback,
Have a good day