PDA

View Full Version : Does THANK YOU exsist anymore?

Mami2Cute
07-19-2003, 04:41 PM
A petty vent but my vent none the less.

Whats up with people not knowing how to say thank you? I do tons of trades, as well as sell NIP Stickers (for .25 BTW, when most stores retail for .99 or higher) Make Trade Slips & Address Labels (also cheaper then anyone else I've seen offer) And if someone buys alot from me I even add in extras!

In my goodie envies I stuff them full, and even my goodie boxes and single items I sell I try to throw in something extra. If it be a baby item maybe some NWT socks or a cute NIP rattle, something to say 'thanks for buying from me' yet rarely do I hear or see a 'thanks for the extras' even a simple 'thanks, got the package today' would be wonderful.

*sigh*

OK... back to the real vents.... I'm just a bit frustrated with the ones who dont know the words THANK *and* YOU. But big HUGS to all that do e-mail or post a thanks. The few that do remember to say thanks are the ones who keep me selling items.

tiffany21
07-19-2003, 04:52 PM
I know what you mean

MsLynn
07-19-2003, 04:57 PM
THANK YOU for reminding us that a little politeness goes along way

justme23
07-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by zitra
I agree, you should be thanked if you send extras, and told when your package arrives, but i don't agree with expecting ot be thanked, because you sent the package (unless extras were added). If you are doing a trade or someone is buying from you, you should not have to be thanked for sending your end.

I don't think it's a matter of expecting it really, just a matter of common courtesy... you say thank you when you finish your purchases at stores, don't you? I think it's equal to that, no they don't NEED the thank you, but it's common courtesy and politeness... I try to always say thank you, even to the cashiers that are rude, if nothing else I atleast get a smile out of them and then I realize they've just had a bad day and really needed that thank you.

moe265
07-19-2003, 05:26 PM
I agree that it is a courtesy. I cannot believe how many of my daughters friends never even utter the words after spending the night or getting a ride to the pool etc...

A thanks after a transaction is complete leaves a good impression for future dealings IMO. :)

momfromTN
07-19-2003, 05:33 PM
I think the practice of thank you notes has also, sadly, gone by the wayside. Now, of course one shouldn't give a gift just to get the thank you note, but I consider it really rude to not write them, especially for weddings and graduations. This might sound petty, but last summer my DH's parents had their 50th wedding anniversary. The night before just them and their own kids, went out to dinner. No spouses or grandkids, were included, which I think was TERRIBLE and rude not to at least include spouses. I worked on my feet after just having a miscarriage, preparing food for the party that was the next day after the "exclusionary dinner". I am glad my PIL had a nice party and that is what I wanted. But, none of the spouses of their kids were told thank you for anything. No note, not even a brief "Thanks" verbally. Of course, my DH thinks I am over-reacting. But this is one incident in a long line of them from my inlaws. You are only considered "family" when it is time to slave in the kitchen or clean up. I didn't really expect a note, but MIL especially just acted like it was her "due". It sucks to not be appreciated.

Tasha405
07-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Thank you! :)

Yeah, it does suck when you do something nice for someone and they can't even as much as say thanks. {{{Hugs}}}

WWiREMAN
07-19-2003, 06:22 PM
I most definitely use Thank You more than enough, but your right, most people do not.

a BIG THANKS for reminding people to just stop and take the time to say, THANKS!

freeplease
07-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Like when you go out for dinner, and the server is busting his behind to serve your table. We say thank you everytime he drops by, but I notice many tables act as though the poor guy is bothering them. But let that glass of water go down a quarter of an inch, and all h@ll breaks lose. Just complaints abound about the service...
I'm teaching my kids that a thank you is painless, too. The next generation lies in wait. lol

HumblePie98
07-19-2003, 06:52 PM
I agree with you. I sent an RAOK with specific requests in it, and NADA, not even "yeah I got it."

I always emaail the person I'm trading and say Thank you! I got my end. Its just rude not to!

Iluvbears
07-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Does THANK YOU exsist anymore?

It exsist for those who are greatful.

Just pat yourself on the back for being nice and adding extra's.

EricsnKy
07-19-2003, 08:04 PM
The ones whom don't say it are the ones who probably never have. Many unpolite people in this world.

I recently sent out a RAOK and that person PM'ed me to say thanks and ALSO mailed me a thank you card. I totally did not expect the card and told her she didn't have to do that. But I did appreciate it. It made my afternoon a little brighter :D

reneep45
07-19-2003, 08:28 PM
i've had trades where i payed paypal right away, then i get an email, asking me to be sure to leave them feedback ,they should have posted mine when they got the payment ! but they didn't !!i do anyway hopeing they will but anyone that ever ASKED ME TO DIDN'T FOR ME !!!!!!! or they pay me & i send out right away, soon as i get payment i post feedback, but they don't for me !!! that is not fare !

hotwheelstx
07-19-2003, 10:50 PM
I agree 100%!!!! :confused: :confused:

I have done several RAOK'S on here and not many have said thank you. I take it in stride. Then again, when I do these things it's posted on here w/out giving any thanks or recognition for what you've done.

I truly don't mind going out of my way for anyone who "truly" needs/wants help but a thank you is nice to hear.

I guess I come from the old school. When I was younger for birthdays and Christmas gifts (except for parents) I had to sit and write everyone a thank you note or call them personally.

What really bothers me is when I send out a package and wait for someone to lmk they've received and they don't. I have to email or call and ask. I don't feel I should have to do that.

So much for being thoughtful. BTW.......I still do send thank you cards w/payments if I've purchased something on a board. Some are truly surprized. :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

ebgreen74
07-19-2003, 11:50 PM
I know what you mean too-I sent a big package of stuff for my newphews b-day-he just turned 4 so he's not exactly gonna call me up long distance by himself and thank me on his own. My sister never even bothered to call and thank me.

MoodyBlues
07-20-2003, 04:54 AM
I have to agree with all that was said here.. It is sad to see that those words have sort of floated out of some people's vocabulary.

I have a 3 year old and she says "Thank you" to whoever helps her or gives her something. Heck, she even tells the dentist and doctor "thank you" for the stickers she gets.. even if they make her cry. We went out to dinner last night and she said "thank you" to our waitress when she brought her her food. The waitress looked at us and said "It's a shame that a toddler can say 'thank you' and I don't get that from most the adults that come in here". In turn the waitress thanked US for teaching our daughter that.

A simple Thank you can make all the difference in a person's day!
Thanks for pointing that out!

blondeairhead
07-20-2003, 06:25 AM
I agree that thank you needs to be used more!!! Even an e-mail saying 'I got the item' would be appreciated some times....ESPECIALLY if its an RAOK!!!! And feedback....it seems people really want it but don't bother to return the favor! As for children, my children are VERY polite....I sure wished more parents taught that value! Great point to bring up!!:) THANK YOU!!!

SaraSmiles
07-20-2003, 06:57 AM
I agree, what has happened to common courtesy. I was 'grilled' at a wedding the other day about what is the deal w/ children in the south saying, thank you, your welcome, Yes ma'am, No sir, etc. The 'ladies' said they found it rude to be called 'Yes Ma'am.' I politely explained my child(who is a 23 paratrooper) was taught that as a common courtesy. Proper etiquette, manners they have just gone out the window.
My father doesnt bother if he doesnt get a 'thank you' r a thank you note, email r letter.
From that wedding, my SO gave a $200 gift, not a thank you verbally r in the mail. This is in CT. I find that very rude.
Still waiting for that 'thank you' note.
I should have started my own vent. :o
Sara :)

Mami2Cute
07-20-2003, 08:23 PM
((HUGS TO EVERYONE))

Atleast we all are in the same boat.. and THANK YOU LADIES that have reminded me that some do say thanks still.

And Moody, I too find it hard to believe when my own children say thanks more then the older people I run into.

At my SIL birthday party (she is 6) half of the kids, ranged in ages of 6-10, they were rude rude rude! I wanted to tie a few of them up since I somehow seemed to get left with all 20 of them... They were yelling and screaming over who got what piece of cake, how much ice cream, what plate, just everything they could. And there was my 2 y/o saying thank you tons and tons. He gave us all a nice laugh when he was handed his plate (said thank you), was served some cake (thank you again) ice cream (another thank you) and 2 more thank yous when he got his napkin and fork. All the adults were "awwww" about him and saying thanks and I was thinking, 'Did your kids EVER say thanks?'

Thank You is contagious in our home, his little brother who is almost 1, if he doesn't say thank you (what comes out sounding like tay you) then his big brother (the 2 y/o) refuses to give it to him. I have a little helper in teaching manners now i guess, and he even gets me when I forget to tell him thank you, lol

ocvachick
07-20-2003, 08:39 PM
from working in a grocery store for awhile and a thrift store.. all local, i learned how to respect the words "thank you" and "have a nice day" the ones who actually said those 2 lines made my days brighter. Some people just walk by and never say a word, throw money on the counter and walk away.

i try to be as nice as i can be to people until given a reason not to be. more people should be polite and respectful these days.