PDA

View Full Version : Computer help badly needed

BearsBunny2
07-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Ok, I was tripping over Norton Clean Sweep not being able to clear out my internet history. Well in another forum, someone suggested that I download this program to get rid of index.dat files. Well this program deleted my windows and I have been trying since last night to get it back. I keep getting error messages when I am trying to install windows98se. I am using my start up disk but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this fixed.

Gia
07-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Doing the Bump........I don't have an answer but I bet'cha Tech will if and when he see's this post~:p.......Good Luck!

Gia
07-19-2003, 04:27 PM
What happens when you use your startup disk? Maybe we can get you to the next step.

bonniejeanne
07-19-2003, 04:54 PM
My son says that if it's labeled index, you should not get rid of it. Did you just want to get rid of your temporary internet files? This is where your files are:

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files

Whatever you do, do not get rid of the index. You will probably have to call some sort of support line to help you reinstall.

cathych
07-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Anything that had *.dat on it means that it has data on it you are using. Next time, to clear out your temp internet files go to windows explorer, scroll down to windows, click on it, then click on temp internet files, select all & delete. I do not like Norton because it causes a lot of problems. I don't know the answer to getting windows back on. Do you have a windows disk? Not a startup disk, I mean the program. I think that you should load that. You do not have the necessary files to do a start up disk, your computer is looking for them & can't find them because you deleted them.

BearsBunny2
07-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Well I finally had to just reformat my hard drive, which really sucks. Now my monitor is set wrong and I can't fiqure out how to change it since it won't let me move the slider things to correct the screen size and I only have 16 colors.

justme23
07-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BearsBunny2
Well I finally had to just reformat my hard drive, which really sucks. Now my monitor is set wrong and I can't fiqure out how to change it since it won't let me move the slider things to correct the screen size and I only have 16 colors.

The answer to this is updated drivers for your video card. Sorry you had to reformat... don't listen to ppl about computer help, unless you really know them or it's 'small' problems... things like this happen alot cause ppl are just flat mean.

squirt
07-20-2003, 07:55 AM
I know we are not supposed to post other forums here, but I found a site with computer help
http://www.worldstart.com
Maybe they can answer your computer problem.
Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you get it straightened out.
Have a good day

squirt
07-20-2003, 07:59 AM
yea it's me again, I found another site that might help you with your computer problem
http://www.computerhelpatoz.com
They have all kind of answers, Hope this helps

Brewcrew
07-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Hey there
Thanks for the site I just was able to get some info I was looking for and it helped me I am so New to this game of Puttering If i am wrong at answering your post Iam sorry

BearsBunny2
07-20-2003, 06:13 PM
I'm finally up and running, thanks all for your help. Yes worldstart is a good place to get help, I'm already a member and the people there we a lot of help.