PDA

View Full Version : Women's handmade shawls wrap recipients in prayer and love

janelle
07-18-2003, 11:42 PM
**VENICE, Fla. (CNS) -- With a prayer for Mary's guidance, the woman was wrapped in a soft tan shawl decorated with beads and charms. The shawl was an unexpected gift offered as a prayer that recent family troubles would soon come to an end.

Dangling from the fringe were beads with the letters of her children's first names, a tiny Bible, a decade of the rosary, a smiley face and a broken shell for the pain she was experiencing.

Then, several of her friends laid their hands on her, and the women prayed that she might find comfort in the shawl and the prayers of hope and love that accompanied it. The concoction of soft yarn can be called a peace shawl, comfort shawl or prayer shawl. But for this woman and thousands of others who have received one, the shawls are not only a beautiful piece of handiwork, but a tangible expression of prayer and comfort.

That is the concept behind the Shawl Ministry, created by Victoria Galo and Janet Bristow. According to the Web site www.shawlministry.com they originated the program in 1998, shortly after the two women graduated from the Women's Leadership Institute at the Hartford Seminary in Connecticut.

MnMLover
07-26-2003, 11:30 PM
was diagnosed with lung cancer this year and has for the most part given up.She knows that she can't really beat this considering the advanced stage that it is in,but I believe that her suffering will be lessened with our prayer.I requested one on her behalf and praise God! My prayer was answered! I wanted something for her that would not only comfort her but also have base in her faith.I am going to be forever appreciative in this being posted.Finally the person that has given so many others comfort is going to get comfort of her own.I didn't really want to request one with all the requests they had already recieved.People make these on thier own and I really didn't want to burden them with my request,but I asked anyway.We are truly blessed in this life that people are willing to be kind and loving to strangers in times of struggles.I am glad to be part of this world when I can do the same for others.These are wonderful people doing beautiful things.Thank you again for posting this.

janelle
07-28-2003, 01:16 AM
I'm so glad someone can be helped by this. It sounds like a wonderful ministery.

Praying for your mother-in-law. My SIL's mother has the same diagnosis. So sad. I'm going to request one for her. I'm sure the people who make these are very happy to be helping others so don't hesitate to ask them to help. Huggs.

GodsGiftsRFree
07-28-2003, 03:56 AM
What a neat idea and ministry!
I might order one for my 7 year old cousin -- she's about to have a corneal transplant this Thursday ...