PDA

View Full Version : New York May Pay For Convicted Murderer's Sex Change

Lisa03
07-18-2003, 05:56 AM
WHAT IN THE WORLD?

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The state is considering an appeal of a federal judge's decision allowing a lawsuit by an inmate asking the state to pay for his sex-change operation to go forward.

That's according to a spokesman for the state attorney general's office.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Kahn Tuesday turned away the state's motion to dismiss Mark Brooks' lawsuit against prison officials, saying prisons are obligated to give inmates suffering from a medical disorder some form of treatment based on an evaluation by a doctor.

Brooks sued the state in September of 2000, arguing that authorities ignored his requests for psychological and physical treatment.

The 34-year-old Brooks was convicted in 1990 of murder and is serving a sentence of 50 years to life.

CNN reports that Brooks murdered a person in the '80s for $4. The network also reports that if he gets the sex change, Brooks would serve the remainder of his life sentence in a women's prison.

Victorious
07-18-2003, 06:43 AM
:eek:

momfromTN
07-18-2003, 08:01 AM
HELL NO! Would be my answer. :<

schsa
07-18-2003, 09:37 AM
No way. I'm sorry but the penal system didn't cause his mental anguish. I am all for mental health assistance but not a sex change. There are too many people who would like to have a sex change but can't afford it because it isn't covered by their insurance. Why should we foot the bill for something that is considered cosmetic? Next things the prisoners will be asking for Botox and chemical peels.

Sorry but if he wants to wear dresses and earring fine with me but no sex change. Not in my lifetime.

SaraSmiles
07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Oh my world! Everyone email state reps, govenor of NY. I am looking now for email addy's. That just burns my b*tt!

Iluvbears
07-18-2003, 10:06 AM
He just wants to satisfy the other inmates. He wants to take the place of the women the men can't get. Then again, I wonder if they allow this if he'll be places in a womens prison so he doesn't get raped by ever tom, dick & harry...

I believe if they allow this then they allow other operations. Prisoners get to may right as it is already. There should be a fine line somewhere. IMO, I don't think they should get dental, medical, schooling or anything. I see it as, if you get locked up for murder & so on. You should remain in a little cell with no privilages or anything. The people who work their asses off don't get free sh*t why should they?

a12100
07-18-2003, 10:38 AM
They did this before... A guy in a chicago prison had a sex change that was paid for by the state of Il. I can't remember if he had the whole thing done or if it was just the top half. But I remember seeing the news report and this guy had his own private room, he would invite other inmates in there and the would have sex, do drugs, etc... All of it was caught on tape.

IMO wanting to become a woman at the age of 34 is NOT a mental disorder... If I was a woman in prison and they wanted to send him to stay there I would have a fit!

lisahiser
07-18-2003, 01:02 PM
You know what, these people are in prison for a reason. The tax payers are feeding them and clothing them, putting a roof over their heads and giving them medical attention when needed, I honestly do NOT think that the tax payers should be providing for anything of that sort. If they have a mental problem fine. But a sex change is out of the question! They should just deal with what god gave them!

Iluvbears
07-18-2003, 11:33 PM
In the state of North Carolina we as tax payers are paying the following per inmate.

Cost of Prison Incarceration Per Inmate

Minimum Custody ~ Daily Cost $50.04 ~ Yearly Cost $18,265
Medium Custody ~ Daily Cost $65.17 ~ Yearly Cost $23,787
Close Custody ~ Daily Cost $80.19 ~ Yearly Cost $29,269
Average ~ Daily Cost $62.43 ~ Yearly Cost $22,787

I believe that's 20,000 to much. I doubt that includes medical & ect.

Someone posted not to long ago how much it cost to house inmates. If I remember correctly, their figures were a lot lower than what I just posted from Divisions of Prison website. Their claim was it would be cheaper to put someone in prison for the rest of their life than it would to put them to death. I know wrong thread to be posting this, but it popped into my mind.

Barbi_Route66
07-19-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by momfromTN
HELL NO! Would be my answer. :<

I don't live in New York but things like that tick me off!

Right now, my insurance denied approving a colonscopy for my hubby (he needs this procedure...passing blood...Coventry's stand is that this is not related to GERD/acid reflux). They did however approve him taking a Barium Enema (scheduled for Monday). I pay for our health insurance (via payroll deduction) but Steve can't get approval for a procedure he needs. I'm sure that someone in prison who needs to have a colonoscopy & is suffering the same symptoms would have already had the procedure...at the expense of the taxpayers. What gives??

justme23
07-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Iluvbears
In the state of North Carolina we as tax payers are paying the following per inmate.

Cost of Prison Incarceration Per Inmate

Minimum Custody ~ Daily Cost $50.04 ~ Yearly Cost $18,265
Medium Custody ~ Daily Cost $65.17 ~ Yearly Cost $23,787
Close Custody ~ Daily Cost $80.19 ~ Yearly Cost $29,269
Average ~ Daily Cost $62.43 ~ Yearly Cost $22,787

I believe that's 20,000 to much. I doubt that includes medical & ect.

Someone posted not to long ago how much it cost to house inmates. If I remember correctly, their figures were a lot lower than what I just posted from Divisions of Prison website. Their claim was it would be cheaper to put someone in prison for the rest of their life than it would to put them to death. I know wrong thread to be posting this, but it popped into my mind.

That was me, and my figures were about the same as the medium custody you have quoted... not 'alot lower'... and it's not a 'claim'... you can do a search on the death penalty on the net and find any of the information I posted... it's all out there, ppl just choose to ignore it cause if they don't see it then they feel can feel justified in legally killing them.

Sorry for not posting on topic, but I was the person referred to here so I responded to it.

Here is the post referred to in it's complete context:

No, it's not... there's more to paying for the death penalty than the 70 dollar lethal injection... there is the 2-4 million dollar capitol murder trial, then there is there is the $61.58 (this amount based on FY2002 in Texas, but is about the same in every state) a day it costs to house her for sometimes 40 years in some states amounting to $899,068. Let's not also forget the appeals the state requires you make if you are sentenced to death row, sometimes also making it to the 2 million mark. All this opposed to the $1,348,602 (assuming she lives to be 90) plus about $200,000 to have a non-capitol murder trial. I can not understand why ppl still believe that state sanctioned murder is still cheaper... it's not by any means cheaper... as you can see, it can sometimes cost up to 3-4 million dollars MORE! And in her high profile case, it likely would have been that 3 million more cause the prosecution would have spared no expense due to public outrage.

Here's the webpage I got the $61.58 at in case you're at all interested. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/drowfacts.htm

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/deathrow.htm

julie_angel
07-19-2003, 12:10 PM
How friggin lovely. These states are kicking children off of welfare, food stamps, and medical, but they can afford to give a prisoner a sex change. :rolleyes: