PDA

View Full Version : What age would you let your kids see T3?

Sara156
07-17-2003, 09:15 PM
My hubby and I went to see Terminator 3 a couple of nights ago and there was a 4 or 5 year old watching it too. Am I just old-fashioned or is it strange to let your kids see movies like that??

suziebee20
07-17-2003, 09:27 PM
I guess to each parent it's their choice, I would never take a young child to see a movie like that. I saw a 7 year old sitting alone watching Hannibal in the theater, an usher asked him where his dad was, turned out his dad was in a seat by where we were, and told the usher he let him sit alone because "he's old enough to". I still wonder if that poor kid got nightmares, because that movie made me stay awake for days.

Sara156
07-17-2003, 09:31 PM
I agree! I read the book Hannibal and that was enough to scare me. My 3 year would have been up forever with bad dreams if he'd seen either of those movies. My friend's ex let her 2 year see Pulp Fiction. :P

lisahiser
07-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Well my boys are 5 and 7 and I am NOT going to let them see that movie. To me its just too much for them. I'll just stick with Disney, and any other G rated movie. (but not to mention that their father let them see the Matrix, when I wasn't around- that is a different thread all together)

peaceluver
07-17-2003, 10:21 PM
This is what upsets me, I babysit and have this kid that is totally scared of the dark. But he watches all these scary movies or movies that I feel are way to old for him. Some people just dont get it or dont care. Oh yes I watch this child at night.

Sara156
07-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by peaceluver
Some people just dont get it or dont care.

My thoughts exactly!!!

suziebee20
07-17-2003, 10:39 PM
This also reminds me of when I was at Blockbuster and this little boy about 4-5 as well grabbed a movie with a gross monster on the cover in the horrer section and asked if he could get it. His mom said "No you can't", and I thought that was good until she said, "Tonights a school night and you won't be able to fall asleep, we will come back Friday night." I just don't get it!

My mom never let me watch movies like that. Terminator gave me nightmares as a child. Also when I was young mom told me I wasn't allowed to watch Leprichan, I hid behind the couch and watched it, I was up ALL night long, learned my lesson fast!

jonette5
07-17-2003, 11:34 PM
I think it depends on the child. Some kids are more mature at certain ages that others. A parent should know what their kid can handle. My son has been watching horror films since he was 5. He begged me in the video store one night to rent "People Under The Stairs" I got it figuring after 5 minutes he would be scared to death and learn a lesson. He proved me wrong! He loved it and never had single nightmare. He is now a perfectly well adjusted 14 yr old boy who was not hurt in any way by watching those movies. He is very mature for his age and always has been, so I guess this is why the movies appealed to him so early.
I think you just have to go with your gut instinct about how you think your kid will react...of course they can prove ya wrong! LOL!

momfromTN
07-18-2003, 04:12 AM
I do not think any terminator movies would be appropriate for any child, since the rating is R. I do not care what others do, as their kids are their kids, but I do not allow mine to watch things like that. I even monitor cartoons, because these days, some of THEM are not even appropriate for kids, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

mlathroum
07-18-2003, 04:46 AM
With movies and cartoons the way they are now my kids watch nothing without me in the room. Unless I have already seen it and know it is appropriate. I know that seems harsh to others but we have cable and since they know how to you the remote they just flip channels until they see something that looks good. I can block certain channels on my TV and you have to use a code to watch them. I have done that to MTV and a couple others. My kids watch nothing that has an R rating. PG13 is watched by me first. My boys are 8 and 5 so they are still young enough for me to do this. I know the day will come though where I will have to let them watch some of it.

kaylaandbrittanysmom
07-18-2003, 05:05 AM
I grew up on horror movies,My mom let us watch them and I never had nightmares.I pretty much let my kids watch what I watch(they are 5 and 3).They do not watch movies with foul language or nudity.They will not usually make it through 5 min of my movies.There are some cartoons I will not let them watch(power-puff girls is one of them).It is up to each parent.The more you tell a kid they can't do something,the more they will want to.

captorquewrench
07-18-2003, 06:45 AM
some things depends on the kid......if my girls ask to see a movie im not sure of......eddie and i will go see it first and talk about it with each other and then with the girls. and each kid has been different on what was OK for them. so we see it, discuss, then talk to them. sometimes it's OK, sometimes its wait a little while, we will tell the girls this movie might be too scary. we will get it and watch it at home and you can tell us if it is too scary and we will stop the movie. we will also warn them if somthing pretty scary is about to happen. very rarely tho have we actually had to stop anything. right about when shaunnessy said "stop it's too scary" the scariness had peaked and things were winding down.

courtney likes things to seem very real......and fantasy type movies are just so so she thinks. Shaunnessy can handle scary better if the movie is not a true to life or something that could really happen.....she begged to watch Signs with us. eddie let her, but because the family was in our world and our reality, she freaked. LOTR and star wars she loves and theat doesnt scare her. if she can tell its make believe easily, shes OK and loves fantasy & sci fi. anything realistic or plausible to her freaks her out.

so....

T3........id have to see it first. maybe courney. definitely not shaunnessy. still probably a little over the violent/scary and language limit for both of them. generally speaking, it's probably not appropriate for any kids their age. that's why it was rated the way it was.

Syrinx
07-18-2003, 09:13 AM
My dad saw T3 last weekend, and was telling me the same thing, that he saw people with 5 and 6 year old children. He said he wasn't sure which bothered him more, the fact that people took kids that young to a movie that graphically violent, or the fact that none of these kids appeared to be bothered or frightened by it.

ttistin
07-18-2003, 09:31 AM
i dont think i would take my kids to see till they were older {right now oldest is 4} there are some movies Tristian likes to watch that as long as I remind him it is just a movie and not real he is fine with, he has started saying to me 'its ok mommy it is just a movie' lol

Now my sil's two kids came over one day and told me they went and watched the Hulk, they are 5 and 7 ok i thought till the 7 yr old started telling me about it {i dont know how many of you have seen it, i havent myself] but he was saying about how the hulk got mad at a couple of dogs and what he did to them, it sounded nasty.

In my opinion they were to young to see it, and I know I wont allow my kids to see if for a while.

SaraSmiles
07-18-2003, 10:08 AM
I agree, the movie is rated R for a reason. People need to crack down on their children. Can u imagine what kind of adults they will grow into?
I know, the step kids pretty much watch what they want too at their other house. Everytime, the 6 1/2 yr old watches a very scary movie he wets the bed.
I just dont get some parents. They need a thump on the noggin. Yesterday, Judge Judy went off on this dad for having blinders on regarding his 2 vandalizing young sons. Gosh, i could vent a book here. :p

sarahur
07-18-2003, 11:19 AM
not sure about t3 but the one that got me was saving private ryan, me and the hubby went to see it at the movies and these people had there 3 kids in there with them and none of them could have been more then 6. i bet you anything that those kids had nightmares for weeks i know i did.

Sara156
07-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sarasmiles
I agree, the movie is rated R for a reason. People need to crack down on their children. Can u imagine what kind of adults they will grow into?
I know, the step kids pretty much watch what they want too at their other house. Everytime, the 6 1/2 yr old watches a very scary movie he wets the bed.
I just dont get some parents. They need a thump on the noggin. Yesterday, Judge Judy went off on this dad for having blinders on regarding his 2 vandalizing young sons. Gosh, i could vent a book here. :p

I agree totally!!! Sometimes I think that people just take their kids because they want to see it and can't or don't want to find childcare. I know for a fact that my boys will never be watching movies like that at such a young age. If I can't find childcare, then I just won't go.

stresseater
07-18-2003, 04:43 PM
I haven't seen the Terminator movie yet so I can't comment on it but my daughter loves horror movies. As kids we use to spend the whole saturday watching horror movies and we turned out just fine. As a matter of fact both my brother and I seem to handel gory situations in real life better than most. (we don't freak out) My daughter knows the difference between reality and make believe(TV) She cut her teeth on the old puppetmaster movies(full moon productions) I plan on letting them see the hulk probably tomorrow and no it's not because I want to see it they do. I'd rather go see pirates of the carribian:D :D :D :D Where I draw the line in rated r movies is sexual content so they might not get to see Terminator because of thet. I'll have to watch it first.

m.l. geyser
07-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Mine have already seen it...they're 9,8,6. We had a problem with Austin Powers, the little one keeps going around saying, "mini-me, stop humping the laser beam". then asks me what humping is:rolleyes:

kaylaandbrittanysmom
07-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Zitra....They used to watch the power puff girls but they started to fight like they do on the cartoon.If they watch a show or movie and then start trying to do what they saw,then they are no longer alowwed to watch it.They have not had a problem with any other show except that one.

Iluvbears
07-18-2003, 10:14 PM
I have no problem allowing my son to watch any type of horror movies, or any movies. As a child my parents lets us watch what ever we wanted and we all turned out normal. None of us ever had nightmares from watching a movie. We knew it was "only" a movie. My son has never had a nightmare from watching movies, he has seen just about every horror movie out. He's been watching them since her was about 2 or 3, he is now 12 yrs old.

It all depends on the child(ren)

justme23
07-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Ugh... I don't like the terminator movies... but I DO get nightmares from scary movies (some anyways, if I'm not jumping through the whole thing then it's cool)... NOT cause the movie is scary really, but because my father tormented me as a child w/ scary movies... I can remember when the freddy movies first came out and the one where they find the kid inside his waterbed... I had a waterbed of my own and my father just loved telling me how freddy was going to do this to me... I was never told 'it's make believe', no, I was told 'IT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO YOU NOW!' Hubby knows I can't take 'em, so when he rents them he watches them after I go to sleep to find out if I can take it and then will watch it w/ me the next day if it's not too bad... but I can say, that as long as they watched them w/ hubby and he reassured them that it was only make believe and he thought they could handle it then I'd have no problem w/ them watching scary movies if we had kids... I don't want them to be a weinie about it like I am. Weird how things stick w/ you tho, even grown up and knowing it's all make believe I still can't sit down and enjoy most scary movies and freddy krueger movies will NEVER be allowed in my house... EVER!

tbtf
07-19-2003, 12:21 AM
I watched what ever I wanted growing up and I turned out fine. I let my kids watch scary movies all the time. They know the difference between make belive and reality. My oldest daughter watched them with me all the time and she is just fine. She is 19 now. I have 3 other daughters ages 7,10, and 12 and they enjoy watching horror movies with me and my husband. They do not have bad dreams or anything from watching them. I draw the line at sexual content or
nudity. That they can not watch. I guess it depends on the child and
the parent.

Tina:)

hotwheelstx
07-19-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by kaylaandbrittanysmom
I grew up on horror movies,My mom let us watch them and I never had nightmares.I pretty much let my kids watch what I watch(they are 5 and 3).They do not watch movies with foul language or nudity.They will not usually make it through 5 min of my movies.There are some cartoons I will not let them watch(power-puff girls is one of them).It is up to each parent.The more you tell a kid they can't do something,the more they will want to.

I totally agree w/you on all points. My mom would not let me watch cartoons when I was little (to violent). After seeing a couple of "scarey movies" I don't care for them at all. They don't scare me I think they are worthless........jmo.

Scooby on the other hand loves scarey movies. Has watched them since he was little. Not one nightmare about any of them.

I think it's up to the parent and how you approach a movie. If you say it's a "scarey movie, gross, intense" of course I think any child would be scared.......not knowing what these feelings really are or what they truly mean. JMO

ebgreen74
07-19-2003, 11:41 PM
I went to see T3 and there was a 7 or 8 yr old there with his mom. The kicker was that after the movie, I went to the bathroom, and she brought him in the bathroom with her-!! He's old enough to watch a rared R movie but not old enough to go to the bathroom by himself according to her???? I thought that was pretty nuts. I wouldn't let my step kids see it until they are older. Oldest is 7 now. Of course their mom lets them watch the Matrix and Queen of the Damned. :(

ttistin
07-20-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by zitra
I have seen hulk with my 2 sons who are 8 and 10. Your nephew kind of embelished with the "dog" thing. A "mad sceintist" type had mutated some dogs, into these cujo type things, but worse, and ordered them to hurt a girl, so after the "dogs" attacked the hulk and the girl he attacked them back.

The movie wasn't really that bad. Sometimes children say things that make you think they are, like saying hulk did some things to dogs.

ahh ok I havent seen it {kids want to though} and when he told me about it he was saying that it was so gross and blood was everywhere. Let me ask you, do you think a 4 {5 in sept} boy could handle it? As long as he knows it is just a movie he is fine with it.

My IL's watched 'signs' one night while my son was there and he had nightmares from it, course no one sat him down and said 'now you know this is just a movie, it isnt real' He only had one nightmare from it so I guess it didnt bother him to much.