PDA

View Full Version : I think my rose bush has a hormone problem........

Quaker_Parrots
07-17-2003, 03:51 AM
I have lived in my home for a year and a half (rose bush in question is the only one I have, and it was already here when we moved in, so don't know what kind it is) Last year, on my birthday , it bloomed(middle of June) This year I waited too late to trim the old vines off, plus, it was not very warm in May, and the beginning of June.
So I haven't had any roses(but it has grown out, and I have vines, and leaves).
Last year, I had a ton of Short stem, deep red (almost burgundy) roses, and when the last ones bloomed, they were dark fuschia.
Fastforward to 3 days ago, looked at my rose bush, and there growing in the middle of the bush..... a perfect, long stem, cream color with pink tip, rose!!!!!!!! WTH?????? Is this unusual? Freaked me out, for the one rose I get off the thing this year to be such a radically different color. Really pretty though, and smells sooooooo good. Here is a pic of it(sorry about it being a little fuzy)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p0984fcbdcf594edece703fae668b3b6f/fba647ec.jpg

mlathroum
07-17-2003, 04:33 AM
Don't know if it is true but I was once told that bees and such can cross polinate flowers. Maybe that is what happened.

Quaker_Parrots
07-17-2003, 04:42 AM
Last year I totally ignored the bush, don't know how old it is, how long it has been there, ect. This year, we have paid more attention to it (plant food, miracle grow, water everyday) and I only get the one bloom (course that is my fault for chopping it wrong time of year) Think I am going to go back to ignoring it, lol, get more flowers, I wish all of them were the color of the one I pictured (they are my favorite)

mrs.john
07-17-2003, 06:43 AM
I have a rosebush that blooms in that color. They are beautiful.

Quaker_Parrots
07-17-2003, 06:48 AM
I love them, they are my favorite (told hubby, IF he ever decides to get me roses, I love that color) my main gripe was that I just wasn't expecting to get that color,(or for that matter long stem) when they were all such a dark color last year and short stem, other than that, I am not complaining, would love more. And yes, they are a very beautiful rose

mrs.john
07-17-2003, 06:52 AM
That's my favorite rose too. Mine is doing really well this year. In a way, tho, it's kinda cool--every year you get something different, instead of being like me and buying 6 or 7 different rosebushes, lol. You've got it all in one, you just don't know what color or what year, lol.

Quaker_Parrots
07-17-2003, 07:00 AM
I think after the season is up, I will prune them this fall, instead of too late in the spring next year. and I think I will ignore it a little more, last year I had a ton of blooms, this year, so far that is the only one, I hope I get more, but doubt I will. I live in Michigan, so rose season doen't last very long, Last year it started in mid June. I haven't really noticed anyone elses rose bush, so I don't know if the season started late, or I goofed with my pruning. Oh well, maybe I will have better luck next year. Maybe I will have a bunch of that color, lol

kat08011
07-17-2003, 07:07 AM
i have a rosebush just like yours. its called pristine by jackson&perkins. im in michigan also, not a good year for roses here

mrs.john
07-17-2003, 07:57 AM
I'm in Ohio and mine have done pretty well. My dh is a landscaping freak, so I'm not sure what all he's done to them this year.

Here's a link that might help you http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/base.d2w/report?html=tips.html

Dragonfairie
07-17-2003, 09:58 AM
it could also be that the bush is actually two different bushes, one rare one being grafted onto a more common, it is cheaper for companies to do this and sell more bushes. I had one that was like that, it was one that when I bought it it was trimmed into a round shape at the top like a topiary with small roses, then the next year after "i let it go" it turned into a regular bush with normal size flowers.

Quaker_Parrots
07-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Dragonfairie
it could also be that the bush is actually two different bushes, one rare one being grafted onto a more common, it is cheaper for companies to do this and sell more bushes. I had one that was like that, it was one that when I bought it it was trimmed into a round shape at the top like a topiary with small roses, then the next year after "i let it go" it turned into a regular bush with normal size flowers.

I think you may be right, I traced this one back to the ground(didn't have far to go, and it didn't come off the main part of the rose bush, it came out of the ground, by itself, next to the bush(I keep saying bush, it is actually a climbing one) anyway, the part that came out of the ground, had this on it, and no other off shoots, just like a long stem rose

schsa
07-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Seems to me that your rose bush has been playing around behind your back.... Cross pollenation is just an excuse.

Still it looks beautiful!

Quaker_Parrots
07-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by schsa
Seems to me that your rose bush has been playing around behind your back.... Cross pollenation is just an excuse.

Still it looks beautiful!

Lol, I was beginning to think that too, had to be the Bees, cause there are no other rose bushes close by unless........

OH!!!!!! It had to be those darn Wild Rose Bushes at the back of my lot!!!!!!!!! They soiled my poor hybrids reputation!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, they did better this year than my hybrid. When they were blooming I would wake up every morning to roses in my bedroom (our br window is not far from those bushes, and we keep the window open at night with a window fan in it, it always smelled soooooo good in the mornigs when they were blooming)

peaceluver
07-17-2003, 07:42 PM
That looks just like my roses also. They have the biggest blooms with the most wonderful fragrance.