PDA

View Full Version : What is the matter with people???

Widgetsx3
07-16-2003, 09:00 PM
HONOLULU (AP) - A good deed is a costing a Marine plenty.

Cpl. Quentin Gwynn jumped into the ocean near a popular Honolulu tourist spot to save a teenager from drowning. During the rescue someone swiped his valuables.

Firefighters credit Gwynn, on vacation after serving in the war in Iraq, with saving the 16-year-old boy's life on Monday.

After the commotion, Gwynn and his girlfriend realized that someone had stolen her backpack, which contained a camera, identification, money, credit cards and a key to their rented motorcycle.

"It's really hitting home right now. It's disheartening," said Gwynn, 21. "They could have picked someone else to steal from."

Gwynn arrived in Hawaii on Sunday aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard. The ship had deployed Jan. 17 for Iraq.

The couple were about to take a second leap from a diving rock Monday when there was a panicked cry for help from the boy's friend.

Gwynn said the youth's body was limp and cold when he was pulled out of the water. He wasn't breathing and had no pulse.

The Marine helped revive the boy by performing CPR. The teen was later taken to a hospital.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Technologist
07-16-2003, 09:07 PM
I've always said, "no good deed shall go unpunished". I am sorry this happened to him, and them. Maybe the family of the victim can get some news coverage, and people will help them out.

Victorious
07-16-2003, 09:10 PM
That's horrible!:(

Hollie1974
07-16-2003, 10:12 PM
How horrible!

a12100
07-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Widgetsx3
"They could have picked someone else to steal from."

Maybe I am taking it out of contex, but isn't that kinda snotty??

tiffany21
07-17-2003, 06:57 AM
that is so bad. hope they find his items

momtofuss
07-17-2003, 08:21 AM
gessh what is up with people

SaraSmiles
07-17-2003, 08:26 AM
I hope that whoever stole their personal prosessions will return them after reading the news story.
I do hope someone helped the couple after. Please let me know if u hear anything else about this story. :)

Willow
07-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by a12100
Maybe I am taking it out of contex, but isn't that kinda snotty??

I thought that remark was kind of odd too. Should the thiefs have stolen from someone who was worse off than him? LOL I wouldn't like it if someone stole from me either but I'm not going to wish it on anyone else. At least the boy is okay. :)

lisajergen
07-17-2003, 12:48 PM
That is awful!

schsa
07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Wait, they go new clothes, free hotel rooms and food and we taken care of very well by the locals. There was more to the story than what is here. It appeared that everyone wanted to help them when they found out that their things were taken. I think if you can get the rest of the story you will know that things are ok.

cinnamonch
07-17-2003, 01:44 PM
The rest of the story

The public responded with money, meals, free accommodations in a Waikiki hotel and clothing, said Rika Ikeda, head of the Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii, which coordinated the donations.

"People don't even ask questions," Gwynn said. "I am really seeing the good side of Hawaii that a lot of people don't get to see."

Gwynn was on liberty from the USS Bonhomme Richard, which had been deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom since January. The ship arrived at Pearl Harbor Sunday.

IMO I dont think the comment the marine made was meant to be snotty or rude. Imagine his frustration at having been in Iraq fighting for freedom and to come home and have this happen to him.

Willow
07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Okay someone was robbed but someone else almost died. They are making a bigger deal out of the guy that was robbed. In the first part of the story that was posted all they said about the boy was that he was taken to a hospital. The media chose to update what happened to the guy who was robben but nothing was said about the condition of the boy who almost drowned. It's almost as if the boy is irrelevant.