PDA

View Full Version : Weird phone call at work

KimNRandy
07-15-2003, 07:16 PM
I answer phones at my company and the calls are usually pretty straightforward. I answer the phone yesterday and this guy asks me how I am doing and who is he speaking to. I give him my name and then he says "Kim, can I ask you a question?" I say yes (my alarm bells are already ringing because he sounded strange) So then he says "Kim, do you smoke cigarettes?" So I'm like "What kind of question is that?? this is a place of business and you call me and ask me a question like that??? "I'm hanging up!" He says, "No Kim wait, don't hang up, can I tell you the truth?" I say, "yes, please do" Then he claims it's a survey for an initiation for WPI, a local college. Which I doubt because by this point, he sounds like a total freak who was doing god knows what while we are talking... I say "yeah, right" Then he says, "so kim tell me, do you smoke cigarettes?" Can you believe that?!? LOL I said "go get your kicks somewhere else" and hung up. How pathetic and sad is that choice of entertainment??? :eek:

I should have just said yes and started hacking into the phone..lol

julie_angel
07-15-2003, 07:27 PM
:confused:

People do the strangest things!

HumblePie98
07-15-2003, 08:06 PM
OMG! When i worked the front desk at a motel some man called in wanting to know how I liked it... Did I want to have phone sex.... :confused: WTF ya know, It freaked me out

twinkiesmom
07-15-2003, 08:43 PM
So . . . . kim, tell me . . . . . do u smoke cigarettes?

Don't tell me no . . . u prefer cigars either. LOL :D

1busymomma
07-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RescueAPit
OMG! When i worked the front desk at a motel some man called in wanting to know how I liked it... Did I want to have phone sex.... :confused: WTF ya know, It freaked me out

This happened to a friend of mine, called and asked for someone that did not exist. Then went into this spiel about modeling. Friend went along with all of the question asking about what she looked like cause she was bored and figured what the heck. Then the lady asks "Do ya' giggle?" :eek: my friend was so stunned she just hung up.

I have another friend who is overweight who checked in a guest. About an hour later this guest calls down and tells her how pretty she is and would she consider being a lingerie model posing with his wife and son in a picture? She hung up on him to.

MtyAphrdti
07-15-2003, 10:48 PM
This sounds like a psychology class experiment that I had to do a few years ago. We had to call a random stranger and try to keep them on the phone for as long as possible. I had to do this 10 times!

PreciousDarlin
07-15-2003, 11:39 PM
I answered the phone at work the other night about 10pm and the person on the other end asked to be connected to electronics. I told him that I was in electronics and he asked if we sold condoms. I was stunned and reiterated again that this was the electronics department. When he said yeah, I know, I told him that he would have to talk to pharmacy and transfered him. Some people are just stupid! But it will never beat a similar phone call our manager got one night. That one was hilarious!

KimNRandy
07-16-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by twinkiesmom
So . . . . kim, tell me . . . . . do u smoke cigarettes?

Don't tell me no . . . u prefer cigars either. LOL :D

Actually..I do smoke cigs..but I wasn't about to give him that kind of "satisfaction". ;)

KimNRandy
07-16-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by MtyAphrdti
This sounds like a psychology class experiment that I had to do a few years ago. We had to call a random stranger and try to keep them on the phone for as long as possible. I had to do this 10 times!

How did you do on the phone calls? Reminds me of the Penn Phone studies. Staying on the phone for 10 minutes with a total stranger could be agonizing sometimes. :eek:

lpelham
07-16-2003, 07:09 AM
It may have been on the up and up. In Arkansas, they used the tobacco settlement money to form coalitions and I work at the non-profit that has ours in our county. Our coalition - I think in conjunction with the State - was doing a phone survey of 3,000 residents in our county as well as a phone survey of 40 of the businesses. Maybe that is what he was doing and just went about it wrong. I know the business surveys were conducted by the business frat at our local college.

Libby

KimNRandy
07-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by lpelham
It may have been on the up and up. In Arkansas, they used the tobacco settlement money to form coalitions and I work at the non-profit that has ours in our county. Our coalition - I think in conjunction with the State - was doing a phone survey of 3,000 residents in our county as well as a phone survey of 40 of the businesses. Maybe that is what he was doing and just went about it wrong. I know the business surveys were conducted by the business frat at our local college.

Libby

Maybe so...but I'll tell ya..if that's the case, his approach is aaaallll wrong. And it was really creepy the way he kept saying my name. :eek:

lpelham
07-16-2003, 08:28 AM
I know we got quite a few of the work surveys back saying the people wouldn't take them over the phone, so I don't know how the students were handling the call. I am sure they were instructed how to do it, but you know if someone wasn't standing over them watching, some of them probably mucked it up anyhow. I don't know what kinda school WPI is, but our local college is just a community college and alot of the kids are just out of high school and not really mature enough to know how to conduct a phone survey. I mean phone surveys are hard to get people to consent to even if you do it properly!

Libby

KimNRandy
07-16-2003, 09:01 AM
WPI is short for Worcester Polytechnic Institute, a fairly prestigious school of science and technology. And there ARE some WPI frat houses here, but he certainly didn't sound like some frat boy trying to get initiated.

I wish he woulda called me at home..I could have had some fun with it...lol :p

Barbi_Route66
07-19-2003, 02:53 AM
The world is full of nuts...