PDA

View Full Version : How can I live with a man...

Starfox23
07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
...that spends $70.00 on a bunch of stupid, farking, pieces of brightly colored cardboard squares?

My husband plays Magic the Gathering (it's a collectable card game) and just spent $70.00 that we really don't have on a bunch more of those damn cards. $70.00 that could have went to groceries, bills, gas, SAVINGS. He's already got over 10,000 of the damn things and spends every Saturday off with his little buddies who play too :rolleyes:.
If I spent that much money on myself I would feel SO guilty, but he doesn't appear to have the same problem!
I'm going to open up my own private checking account that he's not going to know about and start keeping back money so I know it won't be wasted. Sneaky, but more and more necessary I'm thinking.
Stupid, wasteful, immature man. ARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

a12100
07-15-2003, 02:03 PM
My hubby is the same way.... Like almost $700 in the past few months on tools. I understand he used to be a carpenter, but used to is the key. He hasn't touched any of his tools in 14 months!!

schsa
07-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Consider your saving account to be your funds is only fair. Unless the man is paying the bills he has no idea what things cost or where the money goes. I think he may need a lesson in economics and your income. It sometimes is a bit of a shock when you find out that the grocery bill averages $150 a week and that doesn't include any extras. Maybe it's time for a little financial shock.

I believe that every woman should have her own money. I also think that when you are buying stuff and your kids are going without, there is a problem with the stuff buyer. Reality check time.

MrsManxieCat
07-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Emelle you so bad! My hubby and I used to go through that when we first got together. Money was very tight then but we still seemed to waist it on stupid crap. It was not until we got into trouble with money that we learned the hard way. I still until this day feel guilty when I go out and spend alot. We do however make it fair now a day's like he'll buy something like a game or a CD from one paycheck a month and me I will purchase like a few small things here and there but not to major! Hopefully one day you guy's can learn and be able to make it fair for one another is the point I am getting to! Living with someone who seems to not care is a very heard thing to do and I feel for you on that! It did take lots of fighting and such on our part to get to the responsible place we are today! Hey we all still get spending fits here and there though neither myself or hubby can deny that :)

mrs.john
07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
My dh has a habit of buying cars and trucks. Sometimes he parts them out, sometimes he sells them and "upgrades", sometimes he deals with a guy that does swapmeets, sometimes he just looks at them. All wonderful excuses for buying them, you see. And of course you have to pay for 30 day tags and title work for all of them. Some are gone before the 30 day tag is up. I told him to slow down or this place will look like Wonder salvage. Right now he has 2 trucks, a car, and a trailer thing--and at this very moment he has MY car. Go figure.

flowerfairy
07-15-2003, 03:44 PM
OMG I can relate!!! MY hubby plays hero clix...its a game kinda like magic and he can not stop spending money on those things! He is driving me insane. I think he started playing like 2 months ago and I am sure he has spent well over $300 so far on them. I don't get it but whatever lol

shelhop
07-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Ummm...I think you're married to my ex.
This man would get on these kicks. Everything was a hobby. He collected comic books (the rare ones), he collected trading cards (only the best), he took up paintball (and had to have the best of everything), even pool he needed the most expensive stick.
Mine's gone now. But I feel your pain.

MtyAphrdti
07-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Ravenlost
If he has over 10,000 cards you could start selling them. Some are considered "rare" and you can sell them at comic book stores, game stores, etc.

My son was hooked on Magic the Gathering when he was a teenager. He's outgrown it now.

THIS IS SO TRUE! When I was in college some guy walked to this fountain me and my friends hung out at and threw a shoebox full in the air and started praying. (Really wild scene) I think he was reaffirming his faith or whatever. So, my friends and I grabbed up as many as we could find after he left and sold the box for $500 to a guy that was obsessed with them (this is before ebay was anything). You should see if you could whittle out some that he won't notice missing and sell them! Or you could blatently sell some and when he asks tell him that you were hungry and there wasn't any money left for food and that every time he buys some cards, you are going to sell that many! ;) :D