PDA

View Full Version : No excuse for this type of carelessness!!!

Hollie1974
07-15-2003, 12:43 PM
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2331649/detail.html

CLEVELAND -- A 3-year-old is alive, thanks to some quick thinking by a couple of 12-year-olds.

Boy Rescued

NewsChannel5's Joe Pagonakis reported that the toddler was left alone for about 30 minutes Monday inside a sweltering day-care center van at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, and officials are now trying to determine how it happened.

The 12-year-olds, Ryan McCloud and Anthony Gageri, are being touted as heroes after noticing Jeremy Hayko, 3, sitting alone inside the front of the van. Rainbow Day Care, of Westlake, had taken 21 children to the zoo for the day for a field trip, since all Cuyahoga County residents had free admission Monday.

"It's crazy. I mean, we just walked by and there's a 3-year-old's face just sitting there and looking at us through the window," Ryan said.

The boys quickly alerted parent Becky Marinozzi. Police were called to the scene, and Jeremy was rescued from the front seat of the broiling van.

"There were a bunch of car seats and a little boy sitting in the front seat sweating," Marinozzi said. "It was awful."

"I feel like I'm a really big hero," Ryan said.

Jeremy is doing OK, NewsChannel5 reported, although officials said it could have been a life-threatening situation. He was reunited with his mother, Katie Hayko, who rushed to the zoo as soon as she heard what happened. She said she is very grateful to the boys for saving her son's life, but she has a lot of questions for the day-care center.

"My son wasn't hurt, thank God, but I don't know whose kid may be hurt the next time," she said.

Officials still not sure exactly what happened -- whether leaving the boy in the van was an oversight or whether it was intentional. Child endangering charges are possible.

There was no comment from Rainbow Day Care. The center passed its latest inspection with no violations, NewsChannel5 reported.

Thank goodness for those two older boys! If I was the toddlers mother I would have someone's head mounted on my wall!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Candice
07-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Hollie1974
[Thank goodness for those two older boys! If I was the toddlers mother I would have someone's head mounted on my wall!!
Ditto!! I don't understand why this keeps happening.. :(

1busymomma
07-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Hollie1974
[url]

Thank goodness for those two older boys! If I was the toddlers mother I would have someone's head mounted on my wall!!

Ditto for me to. That is ridiculous. I hope the family sees some serious results from that one.

Tasha405
07-15-2003, 01:14 PM
:mad: I'd like to know why they left him in the van to begin with. They need to take these people who do this to kids and stick them in a car with the windows up and no a/c on, so they can see what it feels like.

Shancopp
07-15-2003, 01:21 PM
I imagine it was an over site..though a very poor one on the workers part. It is sad and scary that these things happen and thank God the boys saw him. The people who INTENTIONALLY leave kids/babies (or animals!) in hot cars w/ windows up oughta get the same done to them! GRRRRR!!
Thanks goodness that boy is safe now!

Hollie1974
07-15-2003, 01:22 PM
And what really floors me about this is the kid was in the FRONT seat!! How do you miss a child that is sitting in the front seat?!?!

Edited to say Shancopp the above was no reflection on what you wrote. You and I were posting at the same time. :D

a12100
07-15-2003, 01:30 PM
This is why I am sooo glad that I am a SAHM and will hopefully never have to deal with day care.

A similar thing happend here recently. A day care in the area had left all the children unattended for about 1/2 hr. One boy was attacked by another boy and was bitten all over. Who knows how many times these kids were left alone before they were caught.... The worst part was that even after all this the parents of some of the children that went there were fighting the courts to ALLOW the center to stay open!!

Maggie02
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
I hope she is not going to ever put her son back at that daycare.

kelblend
07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
How the heck do you leave a 3 yr old in a van at the zoo??? Sorry, I would mount someone's head as well!!!

Shancopp
07-15-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm surprised they didn't do a head count or something...21 kids is alot to just "eyeball"!! I wouldn't take my kid back there for sure!

MelanieAnn
07-15-2003, 11:16 PM
*SIGH*

I am sick of reading about these thoughtless people that leave or "forget" their children in the car. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

One reason I hope I never have to deal with a day-care center.

childbrite
07-16-2003, 04:02 AM
I know...I live in Westlake here...I couldn't believe that story myself! My children used to attend the Rainbow Child Care in North Olmsted two years ago...made my skin just crawl thinking about it!!! I am sooo glad they aren't there anymore.