PDA

View Full Version : I wuz robbed!!

Gumball1960
07-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Normally I don't post in here but this qualifies as a Vent/Whine if I've ever seen one..

I'm having some work done on my car and they haven't finished with it yet but that's not the problem right now. In the last few days I've had $500 stolen from me! The people that are working on the car (3 of them came to bring it back the other day) brought it back but are supposed to pick it up again today so they can finish the work on it. The part they ordered wasn't due to come in until Monday. Two of them asked at different times to use my bathroom. I said fine, go ahead. Later that night I found out $100 was missing from my wallet. (My wallet had been sitting on my desk but not really in plain sight, was draped with some papers over the side.) I know I didn't spend it, it was folded up and was placed deep in the back pocket of my wallet. Tonight I found out another $400 is now missing from where I thought I'd hidden it fairly well. These people are the only ones that have been in my house unsupervised and the money WAS there 3 days ago, I saw it. I can't prove that either of them took it so going to the police won't do me any good. It's my word against theirs. I needed that money to pay my MC bill this month and now will have to dip into my savings to pay it. :mad: :mad: I have searched all over the house and it is nowhere to be found. I am so
p!ssed about this. I told a friend and she said I should tell the daughter of the woman I think took it. Maybe so but I have no idea of how to say it without sounding insulting. Any ideas?

Gumball1960
07-14-2003, 12:50 AM
So what do I say to her? They are supposed to come over tomorrow (today) to pick up the truck and do some yard work too. I need to know how to say or ask about it.

ahippiechic
07-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Sorry that happened to you! :( But I would do like chelle says, just ask her straight out if she knows anything about it. Probably won't do any good, if she did take it, I doubt she's gonna own up to it. But Ithink I would just have to ask about it.

schsa
07-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Wait until they have finished the work they are suppose to do before you confront them. Then bring up the missing money. Talk to all of the at the same time and make sure that they understand that they were the only people in the house besides yourself and the money is missing and that they are the only ones who could have taken it. Then say something to the effect that you want your money back or you are going to the police (regardless of whether it's your word against theirs it can't hurt to bring this up) and you will be charging them accordingly. The worst that can happen is that they leave and never darken your door again. The best is that they return the money. You have nothing to loose at this point.

a12100
07-14-2003, 09:41 AM
I would take it out of the bill for the car. When they ask where the rest of the money is, tell them that you had it but it was stolen coinsidently (sp?) at the same time they were in your house. Tell them to check their pockets.

Tasha405
07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
:eek: I hope you can find out who took it! {{{Hugs}}}

squirt
07-14-2003, 11:54 AM
why oh why did you let them in to your bathroom, it is the oldest story in the book, they ask to use the bathroom and while one of them keeps you busy by talking to you, the other one is going through your personal belongings, thieves have used this for years. You will never get the money back, but I would report it to the police for the simple reason you don't know how many other people they have done this to. Maybe you can afford it, but the next person may not. There are people that do this as scams. Wait until they have finished the work, in between do not let them back in your house, and take the amount stolen out of the final price. Make sure you get a receipt for the work done on your truck, plus they are supposed to give you a warrenty on the work done. I'm sorry you lost the money, it's a tough lesson. I know you feel violated, again hope you are alright.

Iluvbears
07-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Is your bathroom near your desk? I also don't quite understand the situation. Why in the world would you allow people in your home unsupervised? That's almost asking to get robbed, no offence.

Anyway, You learnt the hard way, never allow anyone in your home without supervision.

mom2cvam
07-14-2003, 07:32 PM
{{{{{{{{Gumball}}}}}}}}

:( I'm sorry that they took your money like that! Thats just plain wrong. :(

Shancopp
07-14-2003, 08:59 PM
Sorry Gumball! That just sux! Don't know what I'd do...probably call the police anyway...maybe they'll question them and they'll get scared and fess up. Too bad you couldn't trick them and tell them you have evidence! Tell them if they give it back, no charges will be pressed or something like that. (((HUGS)))