PDA

View Full Version : I have to share...good news

jonette5
07-13-2003, 06:57 PM
For the past two months there has been nothing but stress, stress, stress, bad news, bad-news, bad-news in this house.
Well today we got some good news! My daughter...who is a senior in high school this year, got chosen for the "All Star" cheerleading squad. This is a HUGE honor. She will get to go to London from Dec. 26th till Jan. 2nd and be in the News Year parade over there. It is televised so I hope I get to see it. Wish I could go with her, but the cost for her is going to be heck to come up with....but I will NO MATTER WHAT! This is a chance of a life time for her and we are all so excited! This family really need a dose of good news for a change! WHOOO HOOO!

So....if any of you know of places that sponser kids to do stuff like this let me know PLEASE! She is going to contact some local "big-wigs" and company's and see if they will help. If they won't, I will stand on the corner with a tin can if I have to, but she IS going!

I'm so glad I have this forum...I am just bursting with pride for her and happiness too and I just had to tell someone! LOL!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mesue
07-13-2003, 07:06 PM
How wonderful! I hope everything works out, don't know anything about sponsors but just had to respond with congratulations, shes a very lucky young lady to have such a loving determined Mom. Good Luck!

CaptCritter
07-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Thats GREAT!! Congrats to you guys. If you need to stand on the corner with a tin can let me know what corner and I'll drop what I can in for her!! What a great opportunity, I wish her the best!!

Shancopp
07-13-2003, 07:23 PM
I just saw a "coffee can" donation can at a local gas station to raise money to send the local cheerleaders somewhere? Maybe you can see about putting a few of those out and checking them every nite!
Maybe she and her friends and family can do a car wash or bake sale or yard sale to raise funds too!

redwine
07-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Hi, congrats thats great news!! Don't know if your a couponer or not but if you are stock up on the free stuff with cpns and have a yardsale. It'll sell very fast and raise some $$$. Good Luck

kelblend
07-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Congratulations!!! You must be very proud of her. :0)

julie_angel
07-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Congratulations! That is awesome news!!!:D

Barbi_Route66
07-13-2003, 10:04 PM
That's terrific! :)

Sunee
07-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Wow congrats. That's quite an accomplishment. I'd be busting at the seams :).

Quaker_Parrots
07-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Shancopp
I just saw a "coffee can" donation can at a local gas station to raise money to send the local cheerleaders somewhere? Maybe you can see about putting a few of those out and checking them every nite!

Before you do this, check with your local law enforcement agency, to make sure it is ok, some departments frown on this

By the way, congrats

tsquared
07-14-2003, 07:57 AM
that is so cool...the cheerleaders here get together and do bake sales to raise money for their things....maybe a group of them coulld get together and do this??? just a thought from and old man......

schsa
07-14-2003, 07:59 AM
She might want to hit up some of the local sporting goods stores for donations. And it's time to get those car washes and bake sales going. I'm sure that there are other kids who are not going to have all of the money to go so they might want to band together and see if they can do some fund raisers. Right down to selling hot dogs and potato chips outside a local grocery store.

They should also consider a raffle if they can get someone to donate something of value. But they need to get started now. Car washes will get them a few hundred through the summer. They should consider mowing lawns and any other summer activity where they can make a few dollars. If they work it out right they should be able to raise enough money to cut down the costs for everyone.

noodnick
07-14-2003, 08:00 AM
That is such wonderful news! No suggestions for fundraising, but just had to congratulate you and your daughter.

jonette5
07-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks to all for your "congrats" and suggestions. Only 2 girls from town made the "All Star" team so car washes and bake sales and stuff might be hard but we have thought of those. I am going to call the other girls mom this evening when she gets off work to see what she thinks. My Dot. thinks maybe some of the other cheerleaders will help out. Dot. is busy now typing up letters to businesses and community leaders! The cost is $2282.00 with the first $400.00 due Aug. 4th. We have that but we are gonna have to work our butts off for the rest. Already had yard sale planned for Sept. So we know where those proceeds are going! LOL! Dot has job at Office Max so she is gonna ask them for donation, also I told her to save every penny she can from pay check! We will manage some how I know. My Mom said she would help with the cost too so that is nice.
Thanks again for all your good thoughts!

squirt
07-14-2003, 12:25 PM
congratulations, start putting your pennies together. If you save all your change will that help. Put all your change in a container every night (every member of the family), next day do the same. Don't use change for anything, save it, save it, hope she has fun on her trip.