PDA

View Full Version : Teen gets 20 years for "bum stomping"

Mini
07-12-2003, 10:38 PM
BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- A teenager has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the beating death of a homeless man in an attack he and his friends called "bum stomping."

Daniel Ennis, 18, who was sentenced Friday, pleaded guilty in May to second-degree murder in the death of Gerald Joseph Holle, a 55-year-old transient living under a bridge.

Prosecutors said the attack was an effort by Ennis and his friends to "clean up" their neighborhood by beating homeless men until they died or left the area.

Michael Farmer, 20, pleaded guilty last year to first-degree murder in Holle's death, as well as the bludgeoning death of 46-year-old George Williams.

The deaths were among a series of attacks on homeless men in 2001 in which three were killed and five others were hospitalized.

The teenagers were charged after they bragged about the attacks, which they called "bum stomping," according to prosecutor Michelle Grunwell. They used baseball bats, a crowbar, a steel pole and wooden sticks, Grunwell said.

Farmer will be sentenced after he testifies against the third man charged in Holle's death, Harold "Jay" Waterbury, 19, of Baltimore, prosecutors said.

Waterbury also is charged in the deaths of Williams and a third homeless man, Harry Lawhorn, 47. His trial is scheduled for August 5.

OMG how could anyone do this?? Especially to a homeless person!:mad: :mad:

Jayd
07-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by BSB Nick lover
OMG how could anyone do this?? Especially to a homeless person!:mad: :mad:
Unfortunately, the same way they can hit one and leave him to die hanging from their windshield. We have some sick sick saddistic people breathing our air these days.

Xica
07-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by BSB Nick lover
Prosecutors said the attack was an effort by Ennis and his friends to "clean up" their neighborhood by beating homeless men until they died or left the area.

How civic minded. :rolleyes:

Barbi_Route66
07-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Homeless people have feelings, too. This is very sad. :(

MelanieAnn
07-13-2003, 12:33 AM
:(

That is horrible.

mlathroum
07-13-2003, 04:49 AM
I live in MD about 20 minutes from there. There are certain places in Baltimore you don't go because of idiots like this. They are the ones that make our streets unsafe. Our homeless never bother anyone.
Hubby's park patrons even donate to the one shelter downtown.

Nimue
07-13-2003, 11:15 AM
This is so sad. dont they realize that those homeless peopel do have families. It may not be their fault that they have ended up on the street! Life deals you some pretty rough hands sometimes. If they really wanted to help clean up the streets they should have talked to the city about building a place for these people to go so that they could get cleaned up and get a job. That is one thing I never understood. People look at homeless people and say "why dont they do something to help themselves?" Well maybe they ould if someone would give them a break. To get a job you have to have a place of residence and to get a place to stay you have to have a job. it is bad enough that these poor souls have to worry about were their next meal is coming from let alone that they may be beaten to death by some punk with a calling. Sorry this is so long......this just burns me up.!

okie
07-13-2003, 11:44 AM
How awful,i think they should be doing life in prison.

schsa
07-13-2003, 11:53 AM
If they're lucky they won't survive 20 years in prison and after 20 years no none will employ them and they can end up homeless like the people they killed.

Iluvbears
07-13-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm very surprised he got sentenced to prison for a good legnth of time. The way society treats our homeless people. It seems like if you are homeless you are less of a person & it doesn't matter what happens to you.

Sunee
07-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Nimue
If they really wanted to help clean up the streets they should have talked to the city about building a place for these people to go so that they could get cleaned up and get a job.

If they really wanted to clean up the streets they could have beat each other to death and kept law abiding citizens from having to support them for the next 20yrs. Considering their crime I think 20yrs is not nearly enough :mad: