PDA

View Full Version : Question about landlord making repairs

belle5691
07-12-2003, 04:19 PM
On Wednesday our central air motor locked up. I was not able to make contact with the owners until Thursday evening--they were out of town on vacation. Thursday they began making phone calls to the other owners who handle all the repairs, paperwork, etc. The people I called are personal friends who are the ones who rented us the place anyway. The other people were made contact with by Friday at 2 pm. They have tried to call us back a few different times and for some reason our phone calls are not all coming through. It has not only happened with them, but with my parents, and other friends. Seems like the calls only come through when they want to!:rolleyes: Anyway, Im not stressing about it, they are supposed to be here in the morning to work on the ac---on a Sunday! I am actually impressed that they are not making us wait until Monday. Anyway, my SIL who lives with us has done nothing but complain, its too hot, it makes her need more oxygen, if she has to go to the hospital cause she can't breathe, they are going to have to pay her bills, and on and on and on and on....you get the picture. Im just thankful that the high has been 90 since the ac broke, not a big deal...relatively good temps. SIL has the one fan in the house turned on---and right on her...not on the room, not anywhere, but on her! And she still complains. Off the subject a bit I guess...What I wonder is---should I have expected faster service than this? I don't have a problem with the time it has taken yet, this is a major repair. SIL has a problem. Just wonder if other people would be uptight about it taking 4 days?

cpbaby
07-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Could be worse. You could be dealing with an insurance company if you owned the house OR if it wasnt covered by insurance, it wouldnt be getting fixed, or you would be looking for money SOMEWHERE. Ours died two years ago, high that week was 105 steady, LUCKILY our homeowners covered it, but it took two weeks to get the repairs approved.

Tell SIL I said to grow up.

belle5691
07-12-2003, 04:33 PM
I hear ya CPBaby! My 9 year old is more mature than this 42 year old! Just ignoring her now...LOL...

miccit
07-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Sorry about your a/c.

Not to change the subject, but have you looked at your post about free things to do in K.C. I found a couple of things you might check out.

Hope they get there in the morning to fix your a/c

schsa
07-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Read your rental agreement or if you don't have one the state laws prevail over everything. Here a landlord has 15 days to respond to any complaints for repairs except for major appliances like the air conditioner or the water heater. Then they have 72 hours to get the repair in place. Considering the time of year they might be having a problem trying to get someone to come to the house. A/C people are working every hour this time of year.

Syrinx
07-12-2003, 04:39 PM
I don't think that sounds bad at all considering that they're paying someone to come out on a Sunday and that you had some problems getting in touch with each other.

Boy, I'd be glad just to have air conditioning!

ckerr4
07-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I think that if YOU are not bothered by it, then no, it is not a long time to wait. Considering that the people were out of town, I think they did a good job in arranging for it to be fixed, and like you said, on a Sunday. I understand your sil is upset, but I think she could take a clue from your patience and understanding about the situation.

lisarae
07-12-2003, 09:20 PM
We rent from a friend of my dh, with no contract or agreement. Sooo, last summer, our a/c went out and was out a week. We called our landlord, and he sent out his SIL to take care of things. He said that he stopped by with a repairman and come in while we were gone and they checked it out, and they had ordered a part and it would be in a few days. Well a few days went by and no part, we started thinking... he could not have been here. He doesnt have a key anymore. The lock broke on the door and WE replaced it just a few weeks before. Luckily our neighbor does a/c repair for a living. He come over here and fixed it. And we ended up taking the fees out of our rent.
But hes lied to us before about different stuff so we weren't surprised. I cant wait to get out of this place.

Gitty
07-13-2003, 12:27 AM
4 days is nothing. However my landlord has a on call repair person. If the landlord can't be reached and I feel it's a emergency, I call the on call person. AC isn't a emergency. You or your SIL could have gone to the mall, museums, even the library or Barnes & Noble. They have recliners and AC. Also There is no law that says a landlord has to provide AC, so SIL is SOL! Her complaining just makes her warmer,LOL!

Carlie
07-14-2003, 10:21 AM
lisarae, I could be wrong, but you really should give a key to your landlord.. I believe that you can be evicted if the landlord does not have access to your place.. since you've changed the locks.. could be wrong though.