PDA

View Full Version : A hawk killed one of my babies!

WitchyGurl
07-12-2003, 06:37 AM
I have several banty roosters. Yesterday a big hawk killed one of them :( It wasen't my favorite rooster but he was pretty. "Lightning" is my favorite and I'm afraid he may be next on the menu. He's real slow and he follows me like a dog. He also like to be picked up and petted. He almost fell asleep in my arms this morning lol.
I wish it wasn't illegal to shoot hawks. I know there's a reason they're protected, I just don't want to loose anymore chickens.
On a lighter note, I got 8 bantems at auction last night. The littlest 6 will stay caged for awhile. I'm more worried about snakes eating them. :(

tiffany21
07-12-2003, 06:41 AM
I am so sorry

mlathroum
07-12-2003, 09:01 AM
I am so sorry about your little baby!!
There has to be something you can do. I will ask Hubby when he comes home if there is something to use to keep the Hawks away!!

ttistin
07-12-2003, 01:25 PM
ohhh that is so sad, I am sorry.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}

WitchyGurl
07-12-2003, 03:40 PM
I had another one killed today. I think instead of a hawk, it's an eagle!
I just watched a bunch of crows chase it off.
I put my 2 remaining feather footed bantems in my rabbit hutch until I can figure out what I'm going to do to protect them.
Yes, little Lighning is still with us. I don't have a clue how he's made it other than the fact he stays most of the time with our Turkey.
Fabian is the other one that's left out of the original 4.
The other bantys will probably end up with a seperate coop and a fenced lot. Where I'm planning is shaded most of the day. With the trees being over it, they won't be an obvious target from above.
I'll still net part of it though!
I also noticed this morning, one of my Dominique roosters has an eye missing. I'd sure hate to loose him! I'll have to watch him to see if he's going to give up on life. :(

brumzoo
07-12-2003, 05:58 PM
{{{{{Witchygurl & chickens}}}}}
I am so sorry for your loss...:(

Barbi_Route66
07-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Sorry about your little rooster. :(

Queensown
07-12-2003, 06:09 PM
I'm so sorry! I raised some baby ducks before, so I know how attached you can become to farm type birds.