PDA

View Full Version : Ky. Cops Looking for Convicted Molester

VintageEyes
07-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Ky. Cops Looking for Convicted Molester
By ROGER ALFORD

LOUISA, Ky. (AP) - As jurors deliberated his fate on child molestation charges, Truman Evans stepped outside of the courthouse of this small Appalachian community for what he said was a breath of fresh air.

But in the mere 30 minutes it took the jury to convict the former Baptist minister, Evans slipped away in a Buick he rented before the trial and parked near the courthouse.

Evans, 57, hasn't been seen since he fled July 1, and authorities are cautioning churches to be on the lookout for a man they say will manipulate people and is a potential threat to their children.

``If he surfaces, I believe it's going to be in a church environment,'' said Detective Rob Garnes, lead investigator for the state police.

Deputy Sheriff Rick May said while everyone was concentrating on the two-day trial, Evans, who was free on $50,000 bond, was biding his time and waiting to execute a plan to keep him from being sent to the prison where he had once worked as a guard.

Evans had taken the stand earlier in the day, claiming his two young accusers made up the stories about being molested because he had spanked them.

In case jurors didn't buy his story, May said, Evans had rented a bronze 2003 Buick Century the day before his trial began and parked it near the courthouse.

The car was found Friday afternoon at an Ashland shopping mall.

Garnes said the night Evans was convicted, he paid $4,880 cash for a purple 1998 Pontiac Sunfire at a car dealership in nearby Ironton, Ohio. Evans used an alias to register the car, Garnes told The Daily Independent of Ashland.

The salesperson recognized Evans and called police, Garnes said. The salesperson had driven Evans to the mall to leave the Buick, Garnes told the newspaper.

May theorizes that Evans, who arrived at court each day in a different car, planned to sit through the trial, then drive away in the rental car while the jury deliberated. That way, May said he could return and face misdemeanor bail-jumping charges if he was acquitted - or not return at all if he was convicted of the sodomy charges.

``He may have even left the country,'' May said. ``We really don't know.''

Jurors convicted Evans of first-degree sodomy and criminal attempt to commit first-degree sodomy for forcing the two children to perform oral sex on him. They recommended a life sentence, plus 20 years.

Garnes said Evans' ministry at the Bradley Gap Free Will Baptist Church ended amid allegations of an adulterous relationship and drunkenness. Testimony about those allegations was not permitted in the trial.

Garnes said Evans will likely prey on other children if he has an opportunity. The next victims, Garnes said, could be anywhere.

``If I had to guess, I would say he has left the area,'' Garnes said.

John David Preston, the attorney who represented Evans in the trial, said the evidence was ``hotly contested'' and he believes the conviction could be overturned on appeal.

Prosecutor Tom Skeans described Evans as a self-centered man who abused the children with no concern for anyone other than himself.

This guy was in my hometown! :mad: :eek:

miccit
07-11-2003, 10:32 PM
How awful. :( :mad:

mesue
07-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Is there a picture of this guy online?

lisarae
07-12-2003, 09:09 AM
I live about 20 minutes from Louisa, I go there every now and then. Thats so aweful, and so disgusting that someone could do that stuff to children.

Maggie02
07-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Can't exactly watch out for this guy if we have no photograph and physical description.

Maggie02
07-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Don't forget you can check on-line for registered sexual offenders at various sites. Try this one: http://www.klaaskids.org/

Click on "Accessing Megan's Law", scroll down and click on the state you want to find out about. Now this guy we are talking about now is not on KY's list yet...but it would have been nice because KY provides photos on their site of the criminal.

mesue
07-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Some newspapers have links to them and if his picture is in the paper she can post it from that.

ttistin
07-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Maggie02
Don't forget you can check on-line for registered sexual offenders at various sites. Try this one: http://www.klaaskids.org/

Click on "Accessing Megan's Law", scroll down and click on the state you want to find out about. Now this guy we are talking about now is not on KY's list yet...but it would have been nice because KY provides photos on their site of the criminal.

Do you happen to know of a site that I could go to to try to find a sex offender? I have been wanting to look up a guy, only thing is I cant remember his last name, just first. I know if i see it or a pic of him I will remember it, it did happen when I was 10 so we are talking almost 16 years ago. But if you know of anything please let me know, thanks

KATinKY
07-12-2003, 03:16 PM
this is so awful they found his car about 10 minutes from my house.
http://www.dailyindependent.com/localnews/278153716772195.php
HIS PICTURE:
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2003/07/10ky/met-4-missing07100-3274.html

Mini
07-12-2003, 03:21 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2003/07/10ky/07-10-2003_met-4_DAY_0710Evans_b.jpg

schsa
07-12-2003, 04:07 PM
It won't be too long and they will find him. He's smart but he's still in an area of the country where people will know that there's a stranger in their area. I give him 2 months top before he is caught. Must be kind of strange knowing that your are going to be incarcerated at the jail where you were once a guard.

Maggie02
07-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Ttistin, I posted a link for you to be able to check to see what registered sexual offenders are in your area. I posted it around lunchtime and the link is listed in the post.

kybeauty
07-13-2003, 07:29 AM
I live not too far from there! He makes me sick! I hope they catch him and QUICK! HE should NEVER have been allowed to escape!! EVER!

GeThang
08-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Was this guy ever caught? I don't remember if I saw anything on the news about it or not. Frightening thing is, I live In Ironton, and this dude passed through here!

tiffany21
08-03-2003, 05:58 PM
did they catch him

VintageEyes
08-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Yeah, they caught him. He was someplace further up in Ohio. Can't remember the name of the town though... never heard of it before.

GeThang
08-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks Vintage. I posted my little reply there before I found out we were acquainted in real life. LOL. Once again, small world!

gemini26
08-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Disgusting pig....hopefully now he is getting his in priso by the other inmates!!