PDA

View Full Version : I had to touch a snake.

justinenycole26
07-11-2003, 06:07 AM
Last night when I left for work there was a snake right outside my front door. At first I thought it was plastic because it was not moving. He (I don't know how to tell the sex of a snake so we will just call it a he) sat there looking at me for quite awhile before he slithered off into the bushes. This morning I got home from work and he was wrapped up in my dog's chain. I thought he would move when I walked toward him but he stayed there. This time I thought it was dead. When I got right up on him he moved his tail a little bit. At first it looked like he was just under the chain, but after I looked for a minute I realized he was wound through it. I tried pouring some water around it to see if it would go away but it just stared at me like I was stupid. I showed my finacee. He told me to use the leash instead of the chain :rolleyes: I asked him what I was supposed to do about the snake and he said "I'm not touching it" and promptly left for work. I realized if the poor thing was gonna get loose it was up to me. He was not only wrapped up in the chain, parts of him were caught inside the links. I started by his tail (seemed to be the obvious choice being that it was the furthest from his head) and slowly removed link by link. He did not move much when I was getting him out of the first 2 links. When I was getting a little closer to his midsection I told him "Look, I'm doing my best, could you help me out a little?" He slithered his tail out of the link I had just loosened. See, all I had to do is ask! I loosened up 2 more links and he was finally able to work himself out the rest of the way. He slithered over to the bushes and turned around and looked at me with a very gratified look on his face (yes, snakes have faces). He sat there for a minute not looking the least bit afraid of me. It was not an experience Iwant to have again anytime soon, but I could not just leave him there to die. It is supposed to be in the 90s today and he would have baked right there on my sidewalk. So that's how my day started, how was yours???? :p

justbeachy
07-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Wow! I am proud of you! Was it a grass snake? I am not afraid of snakes but prefer to not share their company if I don't have too. Spiders on the otherhand, I would rather chew my hand off than touch a spider!

shelhop
07-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Ewww...I don't think I could've done that, but good for you. I rescued a drowning bat from our pool once, though. It's funny, the stuff we do for another living creature in danger...even if it's something that normally disturbs the heck out of us.

captorquewrench
07-11-2003, 06:49 AM
did you feel like Stever Irwin? Crikey, that little snake was a beaut wasn't he? LOL

It's really not that bad touching them.

ive got a little snake that lives in the siding on my house at the front, he was sunning on my porch one night when the pizza man arrived. poor kid about wet his pants. Ive always just seen the tail end so i dont know what kind of snake we are dealing with. we tread very carefully at times now, until i know if we are dealing with venomous or non.

justinenycole26
07-11-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by justbeachy
Wow! I am proud of you! Was it a grass snake? I am not afraid of snakes but prefer to not share their company if I don't have too. Spiders on the otherhand, I would rather chew my hand off than touch a spider!

I don't know what kind he is, he is only about a foot and a half long or so, maybe not even that. He is brownish with some yellow around his face. And if he would have been a spider he would be out there baking away right about now. I do NOT deal with spiders in any way, shape or form.

Shancopp
07-11-2003, 08:52 AM
EWW! You are a much braver woman than I!!! It was a very nice thing for you to do, though. Did you dh feel silly after you freed the snake?? LOL!

FreeIs4Me
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Speaking for the snake, Thank You! That was very nice of you to do. Most people would have either left him/her for dead or killed it! :rolleyes:

Personally, I would have also freed him/her. But then again, I also have a pet snake so I am not afraid of them. :D

justinenycole26
07-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Shancopp
EWW! You are a much braver woman than I!!! It was a very nice thing for you to do, though. Did you dh feel silly after you freed the snake?? LOL!

He did not have much response when I told him. Kinda grunted and walked off. What a man! LOL

teenap
07-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by shelhop
Ewww...I don't think I could've done that, but good for you. I rescued a drowning bat from our pool once, though. It's funny, the stuff we do for another living creature in danger...even if it's something that normally disturbs the heck out of us.

oh my!!!!! I would have let that bat stay there...that is one of my biggest fears..ugh...bats!!! yuckers
went to aruba for my honeymoon went to what they called the Tunnel of Love...which actually was some sort of underground, had to be Indiana Jones cave, to get through and it was actually a fruit bat cave! ugh!
ran the heck out of there and just had my pic taken in front of the sign..blah!!!!
thank goodness we got our money back!

stresseater
07-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Here is a link to a coral snake. I am putting it here because I want everyone to know that not all poisonous snakes have the triangler head. Species that are pit viper related do but those are not the only poisonous snakes in the US.
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a117249.html
Just an FYI.;) ;) ;)

sweet~n~sassy
07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Ughh i could have never got the snake out. I such a chicken when it comes to snakes. Went for a walk with my girls the other day and saw one of those green garden snakes and thought i was gonna be brave and catch it. Ummm nope, as soon as I touched it and it moved I jumped back and screamed like a baby.

FreeIs4Me
07-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by kids=stress
Here is a link to a coral snake. I am putting it here because I want everyone to know that not all poisonous snakes have the triangler head. Species that are pit viper related do but those are not the only poisonous snakes in the US.
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a117249.html
Just an FYI.;) ;) ;)

Just remember "red on yellow, kill a fellow. Red on
black, venom lack."

On coral snakes, the color pattern is black, yellow, red, yellow repeat. http://www.wf.net/~snake/images/coral3.jpg

:D These are pictures of my HARMLESS milksnake when he was smaller. He is now about 3 feet long & between the size of a nickle & a quarter. :D

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/14/AE/19131156-39e3-00800060-.jpghttp://a8.cpimg.com/image/2A/AE/19131178-ef02-00800060-.jpg http://a3.cpimg.com/image/39/AF/19131193-a6fb-00800060-.jpghttp://a8.cpimg.com/image/6A/B9/19131498-3cd8-00800060-.jpg

Notice that the red does NOT touch the yellow! His pattern is yellow,black,red,black, repeat.

He is sooo sweet & gentle! :D

NINK
07-12-2003, 10:45 AM
i rescued some baby garter snakes from my dad's field the other day, so they didn't get plowed,disked,rolled in plastic and planted! they were cute lil things, i just picked them up and carried them away, my mom was freaking out, she was sure they were poisionous but we have only a couple poisionous snakes here and i know what they look like and i know what a garter snake looks like. she wanted me to take them with me and drop them off somewhere, she is nuts, i just took them across the street and let them go in the ditch.

Princess4J
07-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by captorquewrench
did you feel like Stever Irwin? Crikey, that little snake was a beaut wasn't he? LOL

LMAO !!!!

SORRY, BUT I GOT THIS MENTAL IMAGE
OF YOU, WALKING SLOWLY TOWARDS IT
THEN POUNCING ON IT, ROLLING AROUND.

:D

FYI* I WOULDN'T HAVE TOUCHED IT.
EWWW !!!!! YOU'RE A BRAVE WOMAN.