PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! baby not sleeping, need suggestion

ladybugva
07-09-2003, 09:30 PM
My brother and SIL have a little baby that is around 3 weeks old. HE is not sleeping much. Appearently sleeps 1 hr or so up 3-4, sleep 1 hr ... most the day and night. It's their first baby and are a bit worn out now. Any suggestions? BTW she is nursing.

ocvachick
07-09-2003, 09:55 PM
I used to have to put my neighbors son to bed when he was really young... I used to methods I read somewhere on a baby massage kinda website.. Thats been so long ago I dont even remember where I found them. They worked wonders and he slept a long time.

He was a bottle baby but got breast milk at night only.

ladybugva
07-10-2003, 12:16 PM
I don't think he's hungry. Have tried swing, bouncy seat...
thanks for the tips, any other suggestions out there?

okie
07-10-2003, 12:44 PM
I would put my son in his swing.I also bought a musical fisher price fish aquarium and that would work too but the only down fall from that is i was replacing batteries once a week.I felt it was worth it though because i was able to sleep.My son had colic the first few months of his life though.If the baby is gassy that might make it not want to sleep also.My son had it so bad i had to get prescription drops for him.The babies days and nights could also just be messed up too.

Dragonfairie
07-10-2003, 05:09 PM
do they swaddle him? this helped me alot, my baby wouldn't sleep until she was swaddled. I couldn't lay her down either, she doesn't like being alone, ended up bringing her to bed with me which helped alot - every time I laid her in the baby bed she would wake up immediately, started laying her next to me in bed and she would sleep until ready to nurse and then go back to sleep. I have read that drinking a glass of red wine helps also late in the evening, it will get into the breastmilk, never tried it don't like wine. Also might make sure he isn't to cold or too hot. hth

DBackFan
07-10-2003, 05:13 PM
You REALLY don't wanna know what I did...lol. My granny started it I swear! She always had a "toddy" next to her so when the baby would be fussy she would dip his little pacifier in the whiskey and it always calmed them down. I tried it a few times and the 19, 21 and 26 old boys now are NOT alcoholics..lol.

Tasha405
07-10-2003, 05:40 PM
I had to use catnip tea on my boys because they were getting their days & nights mixed up. Someone a long time ago had told us to give it a try. Its supposed to help with the colic/gas problems. It would put him right to sleep though. I would make it in a coffee cup, add sugar to sweeten it a little and mix it with cool water in a little bottle. You can get it at GNC stores, not sure about Wal-Mart.

**I'm not sure about trying this on the baby since its only 3 weeks old. Mine were like 2 - 3 months old at the time.

magicwoman19
07-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Turn him, that is what my mom did to my sisters baby. You just flip em upside down, hold his head, and just flip really lightly. It is suppose to work. Savannah even had to have it done one time, and it worked for her too. I hope all goes well, I have such a great baby, she was the greatest newborn ever. She never crys, unless she is hungrey, or tired, and it is only for a few minutes. She is so great. I hope he gets settled in really soon. I breastfeed too, and I know it is tough getting up at night to feed em. Good Luck!

Quaker_Parrots
07-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Dragonfairie
do they swaddle him? this helped me alot, my baby wouldn't sleep until she was swaddled. I couldn't lay her down either, she doesn't like being alone, ended up bringing her to bed with me which helped alot - every time I laid her in the baby bed she would wake up immediately, started laying her next to me in bed and she would sleep until ready to nurse and then go back to sleep. I have read that drinking a glass of red wine helps also late in the evening, it will get into the breastmilk, never tried it don't like wine. Also might make sure he isn't to cold or too hot. hth

I agree with this, as young as the baby is, it feels insecure, and needs the extra warmth of swaddling, just like he was in mom's womb