PDA

View Full Version : Medical ?

missymommy
07-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Anyone ever been told that they were having numbness in their hands and feet because they were dehydrated??

My doctor told me this today but I cannot find it anywhere. I am so confused. :confused:

Quaker_Parrots
07-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Sure he didn't day Diabetic? you have it with that too

twinfawn
07-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Soory missymommy I have never hear of it either..I hope you are ok......

BeesKnees
07-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Look up Raynaud's Syndrome; thats what itr sounds like to me, although I don't claim to be a DR.

http://www.solsticepoint.com/coldhand.htm

http://www.lebanonhealth.com/condi/707.htm

Happens in feet as well, the first link didn't say so I don't think. My Mom has it, and it is not nearly as scary as some of these side effects listed, such as gangrene. Its just annoying to her.

ckerr4
07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
I've heard it. Nothing more specific though. I'm sorry you're not feeling well:(

Gia
07-09-2003, 01:55 PM
I have never heard that one before either hon~I do hope you feel better soon {{{{missymommy}}}}

BeesKnees
07-09-2003, 01:57 PM
You know, if you are dehydrated I suppose it could do something to your blood pressure/circulation. But if you are not comfortable with his/her diagnosis, get a 2nd opinion.

missymommy
07-09-2003, 01:58 PM
tingling is what I mean Sorry, with my doctor when I asked him what he means by numb he says tingling is a part of that. My hands and arms tingle pretty badly most of the day for about a week now. My feet have been doing it on and off for about a week so badly at times that it hurts.

I also have been having nausea and dizziness that he says is because of my ears.

I am hoping he is right. But I was surprised at what it was.

captorquewrench
07-09-2003, 02:00 PM
numbness and tingling can be symptoms of dehydration:

from http://www.usariem.army.mil/nutri/appendc.htm

DEHYDRATION

Definition The net result of inadequate fluid replacement in the face of normal or accelerated fluid loss. It can happen at any temperature, whether physical activity is involved or not.

Causes mainly involve weather factors along with physical exertion, combined with not replacing lost fluids. Dehydration could also be caused by illnesses involving diarrhea/vomiting.

Symptoms depend on the percent body weight lost due to dehydration. Fluid loss resulting in as low as 2% loss of body weight can compromise physical performance. A 3-5% loss in body weight leads to a diminished work capacity while a 10-15% loss results in severe disability and even death. The following chart summarizes the symptoms of dehydration at different percentages of body water loss (listed as percent of body weight loss).

Symptoms of dehydration as percent of body weight loss
(from the chart at the link. scroll down to see which symptom is for which percentage of body weight)
Thirst Dizziness Delirium
Vague discomfort Headache Muscle spasms
Economy of
movement Difficulty breathing Swollen tongue
Appetite
suppression Tingling in limbs Inability to swallow
Flushed skin Absence of salivation Deafness
Impatience Bluish tinge to skin Dim vision
Sleepiness Indistinct speech Numb, shriveled skin
Increased pulse rate Inability to walk Painful urination
Kidney dysfunction (from the chart at the link. scroll down to see which symptom is for which percentage of body weight)

missymommy
07-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Thank you everyone and thank you captorquewrench I didn't find anything like that on webmd, I feel much better about it now!

{{{{{HUGGLES}}}}} :D

captorquewrench
07-09-2003, 02:07 PM
You're very welcome!

rain_cries
07-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Signs & symptoms : Signs and symptoms of heat stress illness which can occur alone or in combination include:

headache
nausea
hot / dry skin
tingling in extremities
malaise (a general sense of feeling unwell)
pallor (paleness or loss of colour to the skin)
lack of coordination (increasing difficulty making one’s arms and legs work smoothly or properly)
confusion and aggression

http://www.geocities.com/orchike/dehydrate.html