PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever used this to clean out babies ears?

magicwoman19
07-09-2003, 07:59 AM
My sister doctor told her to put a couple drops of Baby oil in her babies ear, and then wait about 15 mins and then give a bath and the put some water in it to get the oil out. It is suppose to loosen the wax build up and take it out. I just wonder if any one else has done this, as Savannah always has wax build up and thought about doing it. I just wonder if it is safe?

TIA, Lisa

unicorn9149
07-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Call your doctor's office first before trying it. I would be very careful before putting anything in a small chld's ear.

Gia
07-09-2003, 08:30 AM
{{{Lisa&Savannah}}} Big hugs to you both :)

A safer way to clean baby's ears.
Ear wax is actually a good thing. It protects the ear canal and eardrum from foreign bodies such as dirt, bugs, etc. It usually falls out on its own, but sometimes you have to wipe it away. Be sure to only clean the outer ear. Use JOHNSON'SŪ Safety SwabsTM to gently clean and dry your baby's ears. The unique shape of JOHNSON'SŪ Safety SwabsTM has been clinically proven safer for children.
http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/images/newsletter/newsletterProd_safety_swabs.gif

Gia
07-09-2003, 08:33 AM
I also found this site sweetie...I hope it is helpful :)
http://click.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babyearinfections/10871.html#3

janelle
07-09-2003, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't put water into a babie's ears. I don't like water in my ears. LOL Is your sister really a doctor?

Gia
07-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by janelle
I wouldn't put water into a babie's ears. I don't like water in my ears. LOL Is your sister really a doctor?

Janelle~I think she meant her sister's Doctor:)

magicwoman19
07-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah I ment my sisters doctor, SORRY!!!! That is what I was thinking too, that water wouldn't be a good idea. I might try those johnson and johnson thingys. But I hate touching her ears, I just usually take a washcloth and wipe the inside of her ear and then behind it.

Gia
07-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by magicwoman19
I just usually take a washcloth and wipe the inside of her ear and then behind it.
I think that would work just fine sweetie~:)

kelblend
07-09-2003, 10:25 AM
When my son's ears were really waxy and he was an infant, the doc told me sweet oil. I would not do that unless your baby's doc specified it directly for your child and even then I think it's just for a specified amount of time not whenever. I think the washcloth is fine as well.

magicwoman19
07-09-2003, 10:35 AM
I have used sweet oil in my ears, it helps when my ear hurts:)