PDA

View Full Version : My poor sunburned rooster!

WitchyGurl
07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
We got 4 feathered footed bantys at auction. One of the roosters had most of his back and tail feathers picked off. He got sunburned and I've spent several days rubbing aloe vera on a roosters backside!

OK you can laugh now.

He is doing a lot better. His feathers are slowly coming in, not quick enough if you ask me. He's staying in the shade most of the day.
Out of all of the bantys I got, he's real friendly, follows me like a dog. I can easily pick him up and he bok-boks softly to me.
I love chickens! My daughter loves "Lightening" too. Hey, she named him LOL! I personally would have named his Snail, he don't run too fast. I guess I wouldn't run too fast either if my butt was sunburned :D

DBackFan
07-08-2003, 10:29 AM
OMG I am LMAO!! Sorry poor fella..lol

ldavern
07-08-2003, 10:45 AM
I started raiseing chickens this year,, I've never told anyone this because I know they'd laugh their A$$ off,, but Mine like to be held too:D :D :D :D :D It's so calming just to sit and watch them:) :) :)

mlathroum
07-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Poor Guy!
One of my coworkers has chickens. I would love to raise them and roosters!

ladybreaker
07-08-2003, 11:29 AM
just to let you know--the feathers will not come back in untill it colls off again!!the chickens are moulting now and tend to be quite "ugly". if you want him to have bright,shiny feathers when they do come back--soak him some dog food and feed it to him for the extra protien--since that's what feathers sre made of!!if you need any more chicken advise--pm or e-mail me cuz that's what i do for a living--lol.

ladybreaker

longknife_99@yahoo.com

blueyez37811
07-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Bwahahaha!!! My kids refer to "male genitalia" as a chicken!!! When I read the title to this thread, I spit Mt. Dew all over the keyboard! Sorry to hear your chicken is burnt. Hope it feels better soon!

I'm just glad to see it was a real chicken and not a "chicken"!!!

squirt
07-08-2003, 04:07 PM
poor little rooster, hope he gets well soon

ldavern
07-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ladybreaker
just to let you know--the feathers will not come back in untill it colls off again!!the chickens are moulting now and tend to be quite "ugly". if you want him to have bright,shiny feathers when they do come back--soak him some dog food and feed it to him for the extra protien--since that's what feathers sre made of!!if you need any more chicken advise--pm or e-mail me cuz that's what i do for a living--lol.

ladybreaker

longknife_99@yahoo.com
I have some questions too,, would it be okay to feed the hens the dog food too,, they haven't started laying yet,, they are only 4 months old..I have some more questions but I'm not going to ask here,, everyone would be ROTFL

NASCAR38
07-08-2003, 04:57 PM
He's a Lucky Rooster to have Someone Like you to care For Him :)

I hope His Sunburn Gets better Soon ...

swoose
07-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Hooray! Now I know where to go with all the questions my boys have about their chickens they got at Easter time. We still have 4 out of 6. (Someone left them out one night and only 4 came home in the morning.) We have "Chick", "Ken" (bad pun!), "Mrs. Bigglesworth" and "Unshyable Chicken." We laugh at them everyday. We call them the ladies. All hens. They are hilarious.

Ladytiger
07-08-2003, 05:20 PM
{{{{Witchygurl}}}} and {{{{RoosterButt}}}OMG-I am laughing SO hard-and after the day that I have had today-Thank You. Kiss the Chicken for me!:D

and how about that email??

Iluvbears
07-08-2003, 08:15 PM
A friend gave my son 7 hens & a rooster. All but one hen is loosing her feathers. The rooster isn't loosing his feathers. I had no idea why they lost their feathers. I thought they had a disease of some sort, & the reason why he gave them to my son.

I have a question, Do hens ever quit laying? I have eggs coming out of my ears. I just gave away 100 plus eggs to 5 different families & I still have more than enough. I guess i'll ask my neighbors if they want a couple dozen a peice...

ladybreaker
07-08-2003, 09:51 PM
yes-you all can e-mail me anytime--lol. the hens will quit laying,should be soon.soaked dog food works for all chickens-male and female. if they are young(under 1 year) you should also be treating for coccidiosis.this strikes only young fowl and will kill them after alot of suffering!they get bloody stools,become droopy and lose alot of weight. you should also make sure they are protected from fowl pox.

e-mail me with any questions and i'll be happy to help!!!!

ladybreaker

WitchyGurl
07-09-2003, 01:18 PM
He does actually have about 20 feathers working their way out. I know most wont come in til he molts. Dog food is OK just remember not to feed dog food that contains chicken protien. There really is a reason for not feeding them it. You can however feed your chickens hard boiled eggs (shell and all). My chickens also get a fair amout of table scraps, old milk, veggie peels ect.
I've had chickens on and off my whole life. My DH did work for a Tyson farm. I can't say enough BAD things about Tyson, but they did teach my hubby a lot NOT to do LOL!
I go to a homesteaders forum a lot,
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/
If you have questions about any farm animal, it's a great place to ask questions. It's also got a barter board!

I'm Willow_Raindancer there if you bump into me :D

brumzoo
07-09-2003, 05:15 PM
I had a pet chicken 2 years ago. Her name was Chi Chi. She was soooo wonderful! I will get another one (or two, or three ;)) when we buy a house.

WitchyGurl
07-09-2003, 05:56 PM
I've got 6 dominiques (2 are roos), 4 feather footed banty roosters (one may actually be a hen, I haven't seen that one crow yet), 2 Americana bantys (too young to tell what sex yet), 2 mixed guineas (both cocks) and Pistachio the Royal Palm Turkey!
Our next purchase will be a lady friend for Pistachio;)
I wouldn't mind some more Dominique hens either. Dominiques are also known as Dominekers, they're a very laid back chicken. Real easy mannered. Good eggs!
Next year I'd like to get some Bob-White quail too.
I also want a Patagonian Cavy!
It looks like a giant gerbil. Actually they sort of ARE a giant gerble LOL! They're the second largest rodent in the world.
Want to see one?

http://www.pawprintonline.com/photo-pcavy-2.jpg

They get UP to 35 lbs!
Now that's one big critter:D

I'll probably not get one for quite awhile. I also have 3 cats, 3 dogs and 2 rabbits.
Actually the rabbits are my daughters but you know how THAT goes:rolleyes:

swoose
07-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Oops! One of my "alleged" hens began crowing this morning. No wonder this chicken has always had an attitude and is always trying to pick fights with one of the others. This is just too funny!

WitchyGurl
07-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by swoose
Oops! One of my "alleged" hens began crowing this morning. No wonder this chicken has always had an attitude and is always trying to pick fights with one of the others. This is just too funny!

My Mom always tells me about a hen she had growing up that would lay eggs and crow. She said she didn't crow as good as a rooster, but she'd still crowed. It's supposed to be bad luck for a hen to crow, my Grandmother wouldn't kill her because she gave eggs. My Mamaw was a practical woman;)

ladybreaker
07-10-2003, 12:18 PM
i have many hens that crow!!LOL they usually do it toward moulting season due to the increase in testosterone(sp?) that happens when they stop laying eggs for a few months. the phillipino's consider a crowing hen very good luck!!

WitchyGurl
07-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ladybreaker
i have many hens that crow!!LOL they usually do it toward moulting season due to the increase in testosterone(sp?) that happens when they stop laying eggs for a few months. the phillipino's consider a crowing hen very good luck!!

I always figured there was something to it. That does make sense!
I was not raised to be superstitious, but if I get a hen that crows, I'll consider it GOOD luck;)

swoose
07-10-2003, 06:20 PM
We just found out we have to put a new transmission in the car. There goes two grand we don't have. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this crowing chicken. I told my DH about the good luck vs bad luck opinions. He just rolled his eyes and said "Perfect."