PDA

View Full Version : Autism...Helppppppp

saundra
07-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone,

My 2 year old is doing some quirky things. I told his
doctor at his well child check and she said that he may be
showing signs of autism and to bring him back in 3 months.
Jacob is losing his speech, does not point to what he wants,
he flaps his fingers, and need constant routine or he screams,
he also does not make eye contact, or want to sit and cuddle
for more than a minute. He is beautiful and looks normal.

When I found this out I started to look up stuff online on
autism and found out my husband (believe it or not) show some
of same signs. He was never diagnosed. My husband can be quirky
at times also. He does a lot of repetitive stuff. He is very sensitive to sounds and crowds. He does not communicate
well. (What comes out of his mouth seem a lot worse than it
is meant.) He has had 1 failed marriage. But the more we
are looking into his childhood behavior, (screaming through
the toddler stage, constantly covering his ears, non-com-
munication skills, and non social skills), he still needs
routine at 32 years of age. Can someone his age be tested
for autism? I told him we should talk to the doctor when
we take Jacob in Sept. My husband Charlie is a great guy.
He is a first time parent to Jacob and step parent to Heather
and Alex from my previous marriage. Some of his parenting skills
have not been the best. He has not physically hit the kids or
anything like that. He yells though and says things that hurt
the kids feelings.. But I am thinking that it all making sense,
why he does the stuff he does. What do you think?

aimefisher
07-06-2003, 09:35 PM
My nephew is what I believe is called a functional autistic.
Here is a web-site that may be able to give you some more information.

http://www.autism.org/

mesue
07-06-2003, 10:37 PM
There was a movie out a long time ago about a family who had a son diagnosed with autism whose child sounds more severe than your child and managed to overcome it using techniques much different than what was used then, they used constant gentle intervention. This movie was based on a real family and I think there might have been a book also. If anyone knows this movie and book please post it. I will do a search and post if I find it. Good Luck Saundra and family!

unicorn9149
07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
My niece has autism. She has been going to special schools since the age of 2. She was finally tested for mercury poisoning (from baby immunations) and found she had a high level of mercury in her system. She has been going thru detox and after every treatment they've seen a lot of improvement. Just wish they had tested her 2 years ago when I first told hem about it. She is 5 and her learning and behavior level is that of a 2 1/2 yo

rugratsX2
07-07-2003, 12:28 AM
I don't understand why they want to wait to test your baby. My 20 month old is a lot like you describe your son, but worse. Early Intervention came to my house to evaluate her and she will be starting therapy later this month. The sooner therapy is started (if needed) the better. Then if they do come you can ask about your hubby. You can PM me if you want to know more. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{saundra}}}}}}}}}}}}}

saundra
07-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Thanks for all your support and hugs. I am truly blessed with my family. I know that things can be worse. My other 2 children have learning disabilities also. They both have small muscle tone issues and have central auditory processing disorder. (It takes longer for the brain to process what is said or sometimes they just can't hear you, but their hearing is perfect).

Heather has a 80 degree rotation in her hips, which makes her toe in horibbly. She has to wear inserts or special shoes. She never walked or talked to til she was 3. Now she is going into 7th grade and she is won't keep quiet..LOL..She look normal, very pretty, but can walk awkwardly.

My son has laxity problems in his upper body. It takes forever for him to write anything. I was told that with his processing and his writing that he will need a note taker in higher grades. He is now going into 5th grade.

When I think of all my kids and hubby, I think I am blessed.

God must thought that I am the type of person who can handle this. I worked for boces for 3 years and loved it and then God gave us Jacob.
I think Heather and Alex and Boces, were a test run for what lied ahead.

Sun_Angel
07-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Saundra, I KNOW what your going through!!! My son at a year old said a handful of words, then BAM, one day stopped talking all together, would hardly eat, got very anti-social, and ALSO did not want to be cuddled. Screams a LOT, buit of course that is probably because the little guy doesn't know how to communicate any other way. Your son sounds like he is going through EXACTLY what mine is. At over 3 years old now he is FINALLY getting back some of his language and acts semi normal. He also has some kind of sound sensitivity that we plan to further investigate if we can ever get people in the medical profession to call US BACK! :mad: He holds his ears anytime he hears low humming noises, noises that are barely noticeable to normal people. Anyways, if you need to talk or want some more info, please don't hesitate to email me at lookin4abargain2003@yahoo.com The diagnosed him as OCD and mildly autistic

gemini26
07-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Check out this site. This is run by my friend who has gone through this. Through a strict diet her son is coming around and doing better. They were just here and he is so much better already. You can email or call her and she has a book written about her experience as well.
http://www.autismrecovery.com/michelle_bio.html

TxWildCherry
07-07-2003, 01:23 PM
if the dr wants to wait to run tests i would suggest you get another drs opionion never know might find somethig the first one missed