PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone for sunburn?

belle5691
07-03-2003, 08:51 PM
My kids went to the pool Monday, and I feel so badly. They came back pretty burnt. I was really dumb to not think before I let them go. Today my oldest woke up swollen from the burns....had to take them to dr and they were prescribed prednisone, and an antibiotic ointment. It hurts me that I let them get that badly burnt. :(

gemini26
07-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Prednisone brings down swelling. Just make sure and follow directions and make sure they are weened fro it as it can be harmful to them if you just take them off of it, especially if taken for a long period of time. I hope they start feeling better soon!

belle5691
07-03-2003, 09:12 PM
8 days worth:( I hate that I didnt think more before this ever happened to them. I should have realized with them being blonde and fair skin. But they had their cousin with them...and he is olive complexion, dark hair, and they were having fun...

PreciousDarlin
07-03-2003, 09:31 PM
When my mother took Prednisone after having my younger brother (as well as a chemo pill regiment for her kidney problems) it caused her to swell really badly. And the chemo caused her to loose her hair. By the time he was 6 months old, Mom wouldn't leave the house unless she had to.

twinkiesmom
07-03-2003, 09:37 PM
I usually sunscreen my kids b4 I let them go to a pool. I sunscreen em everyday anyway. Kinda like a seatbelt habit. The $6 big bottle lasts both kids for over a year. I never have a problem w/burns. I use 45 spf.

Hope your baby feels better soon.

miccit
07-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Sorry that happened Belle. I hope they get to feeling better soon. The prednisone with really help with the swelling. Keep them really hydrated though cause the burn will dehydrate them.

My MIL didn't put sunscreen on my kids when she took them on vacation last year. She said she forgot, yet she remembered to put it on my FIL every day.:mad: I never let them out without sunscreen. Too many people in my family have had skin cancer. Even with my kids being biracial, I am still paranoid.

Barbi_Route66
07-04-2003, 03:47 AM
Prednisone will help with the inflammation. I guess they must have had a very bad sunburn to prescribe prednisone (I take a small dose of prednisone for my Rheumatoid Arthritis).

I hope your little ones will feel better soon. Keep sunscreen on hand for the next trip to the pool.

trufflez
07-04-2003, 04:36 AM
Is the prednisone in pill or cream form. I have used both, but am using the cream form now for eczema. I noticed the paper I got with it said it was for skin irritations, eczema, etc. The big thing was after applying to not cover any of the areas. If its a low dose pill form and they are only on it for a short amount of time the side effects may be none. The only side effect I have is being hungry. My friend and nieces get real touchy (like constant PMS).

belle5691
07-04-2003, 12:06 PM
The prednisone is in pill form, and the cream they gave them is triamcinolone acetonide. Neither of my kids are ever out much, but their cousin was visiting for the first time on an extended stay....and we just didnt think. Not very responsible of us. I know that sunscreen is going to be a staple in my house from now on.

gemini26
07-04-2003, 12:26 PM
You learned your lesson so don't beat yourself up anymore over it. Just sunscreen them always and they will be fine!

Ladytiger
07-04-2003, 07:17 PM
I RUN from Pred-it's a steroid. Even when they wanted to give it to my cats I said "no". They are always trying to push that on DD for her asthma-funny how when I refuse it they can find something less dangerous.
Be careful Belle.

gemini26
07-04-2003, 09:41 PM
I took prednisone for my bells palsy for a few weeks. High does and I had to wean off of it. There can be terrible side effects but I never experienced them.

archaic
07-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Be very careful with prednisone. I have had to have a hip replaced because of it and now I must have my knees replaced. I was given prednisone since I was a kid for a terrible allergy to poison ivy. I also took it because I was an aphresis donor. What they didn't tell me was that it destroys bone.

kelblend
07-06-2003, 10:45 AM
One doc gave prednisone to my kids when they got this rash that wasn't poison ivy and they even thought fifth disease(but it wasn't), but it sure cleared up the rash fast. I also had it myself when I got that horrible spider bite last year. You should see some sort of progress with it fairly quickly. (((belle and kids)))

rugame2
07-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Be very careful of prednisone. I have to take it off and on for chronic sinusitis. As a result, I developed precancerous cells on my cervix twice.

belle5691
07-08-2003, 03:42 PM
I ended up weaning Jared from the prednisone after the 3rd day when late Saturday evening, he got the urge to go outside, and try to catch some kittens he thought he saw out my patio doors, then once outside, he was singing to the kittens...and then got scared when he thought he saw a bat out there. This is SO NOT normal for Jared---he is normally so quiet you barely know he is around. So glad the worst of it all seems over with.....No more prednisone, burn mostly healed up...all is kinda good healthwise right now.