PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

sadie01
07-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Saw this earlier and thought some of you all may be intrested...

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Analysis of Studies Finds Little Effect From Long-Term Use
By Sid Kirchheimer
Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
on Tuesday, July 01, 2003
WebMD Medical News

July 1, 2003 -- Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers.

The researchers found only a "very small" impairment in memory and learning among long-term marijuana users. Otherwise, scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies.

In those studies, some 700 regular marijuana users were compared with 484 non-users on various aspects of brain function -- including reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information.

Surprising Finding

"We were somewhat surprised by our finding, especially since there's been a controversy for some years on whether long-term cannabis use causes brain damage," says lead researcher and psychiatrist Igor Grant, MD.

"I suppose we expected to see some differences in people who were heavy users, but in fact the differences were very minimal."

The marijuana users in those 15 studies -- which lasted between three months to more than 13 years -- had smoked marijuana several times a week or month or daily. Still, researchers say impairments were less than what is typically found from using alcohol or other drugs.

"All study participants were adults," says Grant, professor of psychiatry and director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.

"However, there might be a different set of circumstances to a 12-year-old whose nervous system is still developing."

10 States OK Marijuana Use

Grant's analysis, published in the July issue of the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, comes as many states consider laws allowing marijuana to be used to treat certain medical conditions. Earlier this year, Maryland became the 10th state to allow marijuana use to relieve pain and other symptoms of AIDS, multiple sclerosis, cancer, glaucoma, and other conditions -- joining Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Medicinal marijuana is available by prescription in the Netherlands and a new marijuana drug is expected to be released in Great Britain later this year. In the U.S. and elsewhere, Marinol, a drug that is a synthetic form of marijuana and contains its active ingredient, THC, is available by prescription to treat loss of appetite associated with weight loss in AIDS patients.

Grant says he did the analysis to help determine long-term toxicity from long-term and frequent marijuana use. His center is currently conducting 11 studies to determine its safety and efficacy in treating several diseases.

"This finding enables us to see a marginal level of safety, if those studies prove that cannabis can be effective," Grant tells WebMD. "If we barely find this effect in long-term heavy users, then we are unlikely to see deleterious side effects in individuals who receive cannabis for a short time in a medical setting, which would be safer than what is practiced by street users."

Grant's findings come as no surprise to Tod Mikuriya, MD, former director of non-classified marijuana research for the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies and author of The Marijuana Medical Handbook: A Guide to Therapeutic Use. He is currently president of the California Cannabis Medical Group, which has treated some 20,000 patients with medicinal marijuana and Marinol.

'Highly Effective Medicine'

"I just re-published a paper of the first survey for marijuana toxicity done in 1863 by the British government in India that was the most exhaustive medical study of its time in regards to possible difficulties and toxicity of cannabis. And it reached the same conclusion as Grant," Mikuriya tells WebMD.

"This is merely confirming what was known over 100 years ago, as well as what was learned by various government findings doing similar research -- marijuana is not toxic, but it is a highly effective medicine."

In fact, marijuana was available as a medicinal treatment in the U.S. until the 1930s.

Lester Grinspoon, MD, a retired Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who studied medicinal marijuana use since the 1960s and wrote two books on the topic, says that while Grant's finding provides more evidence on its safety, "it's nothing that those of us who have been studying this haven't known for a very long time.

"Marijuana is a remarkably safe and non-toxic drug that can effectively treat about 30 different conditions," he tells WebMD. "I predict it will become the aspirin of the 21st century, as more people recognize this."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: The Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, July 2003. Igor Grant, MD, professor of psychiatry, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine; director, UCSD Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center. Tod Mikuriya, MD, president, the California Cannabis Research Medical Group, Oakland; former director of non-classified marijuana research, the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies. Lester Grinspoon, MD, professor emeritus of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston; author, Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine and Marihuana Reconsidered.

© 2003 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

julie_angel
07-03-2003, 11:25 AM
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I did so much in my younger years, I would have no brain cells left if that were true!;)

sadie01
07-03-2003, 11:27 AM
That's what I was saying!! I score high ( no pun intended) on those I.Q. tests etc... Bouttimethey came out and told us.. lol

julie_angel
07-03-2003, 11:36 AM
I score high ( no pun intended)

OMG, LMBO!!! :D

I agree because I always have, too. I think that it is *highly* effective in treating anxiety and depression. People can flame me all they want, I know it to be true.:o

sadie01
07-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Me too... That's how I passed alot of my tests in HIGH school... lol
But there are a few people that still make me wonder if this statement is true or not... lol

julie_angel
07-03-2003, 12:01 PM
lol, Sadie. It is actually the alcoholics I worry about. ;)

BeesKnees
07-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by julie_angel
lol, Sadie. It is actually the alcoholics I worry about. ;)

ummm somebody is bound to take offense to that......:(

Xica
07-03-2003, 12:31 PM
They should just legalize it.

sadie01
07-03-2003, 02:29 PM
I was reading some place yester day, I think it was on FARK.COM about a whole family in Iowa or Idaho who got busted for growing it in their homes... One of the main reasons is because they didn't have the drug tax stamp..Um, ok, where do they get those?! I am lost on that.

~L~
07-03-2003, 02:42 PM
The drug tax stamp (if I am thinking of the right thing) was an idea the President came up with in the 1930's. His plan was this - Allow people to smoke and grow weed as long as they had the tax stamp. The catch was, that no stamps were ever made.

I thought that they took the tax stamp law off the books yeaaars ago.

Xica
07-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by EMELLE
No, they can't legalize it, cause then everyone would get the munchies and the stores would be sold out of Doritos, Ben and Jerry's and YooHoo's. :p

They'd just produce more and everyone will be happy. :D It's not like I smoke anyway, so what do I care? :p

sadie01
07-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Let me see if I can find it... Actually, I think it came from HoustonChronicle.com...

Gone... sigh... Guess I should have read the article in the STUFF mag i got on the drug tax stamps...

jaybird
07-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Your daily dose of doobie? (since someone mentioned the medicinal use of pot)

Okay if not full legalization, should there be pharmacueticalization of cannabis? And why won't the government 'let' people use marijuana as medicine? I can tell you why. Because as people have more experience with cannabis as a medicine, they'll find out for themselves that its toxicity has been greatly exaggerated, its usefulness undervalued, and that it can be used for purposes the our government disapproves of. Once the American people figure this out, they will be less supportive of the present prohibition and its enormous costs. Including the arrests of something like 700,000 people a year.

So there you have it and there you are. Life according to jaybird.
:D

Done thinking for sure now!

Njean31
07-03-2003, 05:38 PM
well, let's see........been smoking for 19 years (up until recently), and yes i agree with the theory on it's usefullness for treating depression and anxiety. AND I must say, my mind is as sharp as ever, as is my Intelligence level:) the only downside i can see from smoking pot is it is definatley harmful to the lungs, it can be a stepping stone for harder drugs, and it impairs judgement in some folks (especially teens who already have deranged judgement sometimes):)

badswife
07-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Njean31
the only downside i can see from smoking pot is it is definatley harmful to the lungs, it can be a stepping stone for harder drugs, and it impairs judgement in some folks

I do not buy into that "stepping stone" theroy. Most people who have smoked pot have already tried cigarettes. I think if a person is going to do "harder" drugs they will do it regardless of wheather or not they have or do smoke pot.

Most of the people that are into harder drugs do not have the money to support 2 drug habits. (yes I am PRO POT!);) :D ;)

badswife
07-04-2003, 09:11 AM
I AGREE WITH YOU!
any news on the ghost???

NASCAR38
07-04-2003, 09:22 AM
I Smoked pot When I was In high School I Remember my Dude, Where's my Car Days Clearly .. I dont See anything Wrong With Useing it for Medical reasons .. I Rather Be Around a 'Pothead" than A Drunk anyday !;) :D

MOOSEdaddy
07-04-2003, 09:31 AM
MMMMMMMM~CANNIBAS!!:D :D A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A FRIEND INDEED~:D :D

Hillbilly
07-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by MOOSEdaddy
MMMMMMMM~CANNIBAS!!:D :D A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A FRIEND INDEED~:D :D :D;):cool:

julie_angel
07-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by BeesKnees
ummm somebody is bound to take offense to that......:(

{{{{beesknees}}}} I didn't mean to offend anyone. Please let me explain my remark, I wasn't making fun of anyone with an alcohol problem; it is a very sad disease.
The reason I said I worry more about alcoholics is because I know people with the disease and have seen the effects it has had on their mind, body, and spirits.
My father has been an alcoholic at least since Vietnam. His liver is starting to fail, his health is poor, and he has the mind of a child. My hubby's good friend since they were kids, is an alcoholic. He has drank so much, he has gained over 250 lbs., not from calories or fat intake; but because his organs are not working properly. He also has the mind of a small child, whereas he used to be quite intellectual. He is not dumb now, but he doesnt' think clearly.
My step-father is an alcholic. He has a smell to his body that won't go away with showering or cologne or anything. He is literally pickled, because his liver is not working properly. It is sad, I feel like I am watching these people die right in front of me and there is nothing I can say or do to stop them.
And I also have known people who smoked marijuana most of their lives, and haven't seen such problems with them. That is why I said that, not to hurt anyone at all. That was not my intention, and I apologize for not explaining myself. I hope I did not upset anyone.

stresseater
07-04-2003, 07:02 PM
I agree it is effective in treating depresion. It does it without all of the side effects of the top prescription medicines. I am also glad that there are now states where they can do research on it's effects here in the USA. Before there were only studies done in other countries and therefore it was easy for our government to tell us they were bogus studies. It gave the drug czars the leadway to lie to us about it. Wonder how they are going to try to discredit the studies here. and they will try.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SaraSmiles
07-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Ravenlost
It's discrimination! I think all marijuana users should raise he!!...why should cigarettes and alcohol be legal and safe drugs like marijuana aren't? Discrimination I tell you!!!

I agree. Cigs and alcohol do more for a body. They should legalize it get all those people out of jail for something that is natural.
Put some real criminals in jail like the crack and crank heads.

bears984
07-04-2003, 08:12 PM
okay so maybe most people it does not effect that way but maybe they need to meet my brother and study him LOL he has no brain left and all he has ever done is pot he can't even read a child's book any more and he used to be very very smart!

justme23
07-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Well... not to offend cause I really don't have issues w/ the use of pot... but I AM a smoker... and quite frankly, I'd rather them make cigarettes and alcohol illegal so I could quit!!! But I'm just being selfish... Be High! :) :)

janelle
07-04-2003, 11:52 PM
But did you hear Bill O'Reilly show today? one man called in and said when he was growing up his father was always whiped out on drugs--prescription and he never had a relationship with him, doesn't now. O'Rielly said that people who need to medicate themselves to that extent are horrible to live with since all they so is think of themselves. They are so self-involved trying to maintain that good feeling all the time they don't have time to be a good parent or think of anyone else. The children suffer and anyone else in a relationship with them when they have to have their drug of choice be it marijuana, alcohol, or prescription drugs.

Drugs can do that to people and then they end up ignoring more important things in their lives, like other people. Ozzie Osbourns' son recently decided he didn't want to turn out like all his friends he hung out with. Most are in their thirties and still living with their parents drugging and have nothing to show for their lives. He checked into a drug rehab center. Said he doesn't want his life to be ruled by a drug.

justme23
07-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by janelle
But did you hear Bill O'Reilly show today? one man called in and said when he was growing up his father was always whiped out on drugs--prescription and he never had a relationship with him, doesn't now. O'Rielly said that people who need to medicate themselves to that extent are horrible to live with since all they so is think of themselves. They are so self-involved trying to maintain that good feeling all the time they don't have time to be a good parent or think of anyone else. The children suffer and anyone else in a relationship with them when they have to have their drug of choice be it marijuana, alcohol, or prescription drugs.

It happened again, Janelle!! I agree w/ this... I've seen it first hand... I'm sure there are 'recreational' users who would never be high in front of their children and so this doesn't apply, but I have a cousin who swears she just can't make it through the day if she's not high, and her stepson (who, btw, because he IS a SS isn't loved much anyways, even tho she can't have kids of her own...) is ALWAYS in desperate need of clothes and school supplies and LOVE because these ppl spend all their money on pot (and we wonder if there aren't other drugs cause there WERE in the past, but we have no proof now), get high, and send this kid outside or to his room (I lived w/ them, I'm not speculating, I have seen it first hand)... the only time they ever have contact w/ him is to yell and scream at him. It's really a sad situation and I've told her step mom to call cps on them (I have annonymously a couple of times), but they don't even believe she still smokes pot, much less anything else... They never take care of themselves, it's no wonder they don't care of this kid.

Maeryn
07-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Just like any other substance/behavior, people can become psychologically addicted to marijuana. We're all different, and our bodies react differently to things. My brother had an addiction to marijuana....along with lots of other things. But I don't think it should be illegal. Medicinal use should be legal.

Part of the reason it's not made legal is because the feds would lose face after spending so much money on the War on Drugs. The pharmaceutical industry doesn't want it to be legalized for medicinal use, for obvious reasons. AND, if they legalize the growing of marijuana, they'd have to legalize the growing of hemp (which actually shouldn't have been illegal in the first place since it hardly has any THC at all). Legalizing hemp would take a lot of $$ away from the cotton/textile, paper, and a lot of other industries. Inexpensive, environmentally safe alternatives?? Lordy, we can't have that!!

Candice
07-05-2003, 02:50 PM
For all of the parents on this board that smoke weed, do you smoke infront of your kids or with your kids? Do your kids know you smoke? Or do you hide it from them? Are you telling your kids not to use drugs?

I'm not trying to start anything, I was just wondering. I hope I didn't come off as rude or anything. :) Just some questions... that's all.

Maeryn
07-05-2003, 03:43 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with kids being exposed to medicinal use. If the use is related to an addiction, I don't think the kids should be seeing it.

janelle
07-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Yes but if you smoke it around your kids don't they get high as well? Look at Robert Downey. His parents did all kinds of drugs and let him do them too at a very early age. Now I would call that child abuse. He has been in and out of drug re-hab for years. Just has that monkey on his back forever put there by his parents.

If I was a parent I would rather err on the safe side when it came to my kids. Who needs it unless for medication and if you have a life threatening illness anyway?

stresseater
07-05-2003, 09:24 PM
If I was a parent I would rather err on the safe side when it came to my kids. Who needs it unless for medication and if you have a life threatening illness anyway?
If it were legal then it wouldn't be so expensive and people could afford to consume it other ways. (ie cooking with it) Then there would be no ill effects on children. As for who needs it several have stated that it is helpful for depression as well as glaucome and cronic wasting. There are studies to back up those claims too.

but I have a cousin who swears she just can't make it through the day if she's not high,

The part I have a hard time understanding is why is this such a stigma. There are millions of people who are the same only instead of pot they take prescription drugs.(ie zoloft,thorazine,adavan...):confused: :confused:
Generally the same effect only pot is natural. The only difference is the drug companies don't make any $$ off of it. This is the main reason why there are very few studies done on it here. The drug companies lobby congress for tougher laws and they don't hand out money for THAT kind of research. Maybe someday enough people will learn the facts about it's use and benifits that the government won't be able to continue to spread lies and misconceptions.:( :(

erinvictoria
07-05-2003, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kids=stress
[B]If it were legal then it wouldn't be so expensive and people could afford to consume it other ways. (ie cooking with it) Then there would be no ill effects on children. As for who needs it several have stated that it is helpful for depression as well as glaucome and cronic wasting. There are studies to back up those claims too.

The part I have a hard time understanding is why is this such a stigma. There are millions of people who are the same only instead of pot they take prescription drugs.(ie zoloft,thorazine,adavan...):confused: :confused:
Generally the same effect only pot is natural. The only difference is the drug companies don't make any $$ off of it. This is the main reason why there are very few studies done on it here. The drug companies lobby congress for tougher laws and they don't hand out money for THAT kind of research. Maybe someday enough people will learn the facts about it's use and benifits that the government won't be able to continue to spread lies and misconceptions.:( :( [/

Genius is all I can say. Medicine=money. I have a friend that
is so addicted to prescription pills, she is a mess. But, because
a doctor prescribes it, it's legal. She also can pass a job drug
screen. But she is soooo much more screwed up than my best friend
Carrie, who is only 31, has cancer and smokes CONSTANTLY. Also,
I drink, but responsibly, but I see people who drink act so rudely in
public, and later dismiss it as "Oh, I was just drunk" like that makes their behavior ok.

Personally I've never heard of a "pot" driver. Though I've heard of
too many drunk drivers.

The laws about marijuana in Canada have changed recently, I live very
close to the Ambassador Bridge, I can't wait to see what happens
in future "marijuana" cases here. Canada being legal is going to
definately cause changes here......

Bick'sMom
07-05-2003, 11:58 PM
What were the changes in Canadian law?

ieatalot
07-06-2003, 05:56 AM
quick, someone hand me a doobie!

LadyBones
07-06-2003, 08:53 AM
i think this is fasinating, i for one have smoked pot for years (i'll admitt i still do) I have quit smoking ciggerettes when i developed asthma, but i am not quitting pot! It actually helps me breathe better. Question Do my kid's know? NO!!! Do i tell them drug's are Bad YES, But can i stop them when they get older and try it themselves probably not.
My DH smoked pot for years also, but since he's a trucker he won't anymore, thats his career our life. He don't mind me haveing it, Personally i only smoke on the weekends as i'm to busy during the week, pot is my relaxer, it takes all the weeks stress right out :)

Maeryn
07-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by janelle
Yes but if you smoke it around your kids don't they get high as well? Look at Robert Downey. His parents did all kinds of drugs and let him do them too at a very early age. Now I would call that child abuse. He has been in and out of drug re-hab for years. Just has that monkey on his back forever put there by his parents.

That's the kind of behavior you see with addiction, not medical use. Also, it takes more than just casual exposure to give somebody a "contact high". So it's very easy to prevent that from happening.

Downey's parents may have been to blame for introducing him to drugs, but now he's an adult and responsible for his own choices. He's got plenty of access to counseling and treatment, so he's got no excuse.

Parents who use marijuana for medical use need to make it clear that it's being used for medicine, not recreational use. Just like we tell our kids that the yummy-tasting Children's Tylenol is not candy, and it's only supposed to be taken when they are sick. Nyquil is 25% alcohol, and many alcoholics have used it to get drunk. Should it be illegal? Over the counter and prescription drugs have just as much potential for abuse...if a person has a addiction, they will find a way to feed it.

julie_angel
07-06-2003, 10:01 AM
I have to say about that Robert Downey Jr. thaing, my mother's ex boyfriend introduced me to cocaine at the tender age of 13. It was around me constantly, they snorted it, smoked it, sold it. Yes, for a while in my teenage years I had a problem. But, hello, there comes a time in our lives that we have to be accountable for our own actions. The only thing that got me through quitting my other addictions was smoking.
I hardly smoke anymore because I have a very small child to care for, and my hubby works alot. When I do, the kids either are not home, or are fast asleep and their Dad is home.
Also, I do it for depression/anxiety. I have tried everything from paxil, prozac, zoloft, etc, etc..
Also it is important to point out that when I do smoke, I don't smoke to get "high", I smoke to relax a little. there is a stereotype that all people that smoke are these burn-outs who can't think straight. That is not true.

BTW, I am currently on Vicodin for pain due to kidney stones. They get me woozier than smoking does, but we don't think badly of people who take that for medical problems. Just some food for thought.

badswife
07-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Candice
For all of the parents on this board that smoke weed, do you smoke infront of your kids or with your kids? Do your kids know you smoke? Or do you hide it from them? Are you telling your kids not to use drugs?

I'm not trying to start anything, I was just wondering. I hope I didn't come off as rude or anything. :) Just some questions... that's all.

NO WE DO NOT SMOKE INFRONT OF THE KIDS. AS FAR AS SMOKING WITH THEM, THEY ARE 8 AND 1 YEAR, SO NO TO THAT ONE. TELLING THEM NOT TO USE DRUGS, HAVEN'T GOT TO THAT PROBLEM YET. AND YES IF HE DECIDES TO DO THAT I CAN NOT TELL HIM NOT TO, THAT WOULD BE HIPICRITICAL. SO, I GUESS WE WILL JUST WAIT AND SEE WHAT KIND OF CHOICES THEY MAKE ON THEIR OWN. NOW HARDER DRUGS, THERE WILL BE A PROBLEM. MAYBE SOME WOULD SAY I AM A BAD PARENT, BUT THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAT I COULD BE DOING AND MY CHILDREN ARE VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF. ;)