PDA

View Full Version : What to do About Racist Co-Worker?

Candice
07-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Some new guy just got hired to work with my BF... and he's old and slow, and BF doesn't really like him because he's slowing him down. Then yesterday, they were talking while they were working and he starts telling BF that he's upset because his daughter is dating a n-! And ya know, my BF is white and I'm black... so our daughter is black too! He's upset, real upset but he's at work so he's trying to act right and just ignore it. Then the guy starts calling Mexican's... other bad things that I won't say! And we have 3 nephews that are mexican, so now he's really mad but he keeps trying to ignore it. But the guy keeps on so BF finally tells him that he can't talk that way around him. He wants to tell the boss but the only reason the old guy got the job in the first place is because he's a friend of the boss' and BF's scared that if he says anything, he'll get in trouble or have issues at work. And this is a very big deal for him, on my side we have white, black and asian people, and his side we have white, mexican and italian people so we are a really mixed up family and we like it that way! He just doesn't know what to do and he's so upset about. I mean he's mad because the guy is so ignorant but he's sad because he can't do anything about it. He didn't even want to tell me about but he said he had to say something. I think it's driving him crazy working with that guy all day though. What should he do? I wanna help him, I just don't know how. Any help would be much appreciated. :) Thanks.
Candice

nosamiam
07-01-2003, 02:59 PM
That's a tough issue! If the old guy wasn't friends with the boss I would say tell right away. Maybe your BF could talk to the boss about the situation with out telling him who the person is. How long has your BF worked for this place?

works4me
07-01-2003, 03:04 PM
That is just so wrong. He shouldn't be allowed to talk that way no matter who he knows....

tiffany21
07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
first I would have you b/f talk to the guy like he did and if he keeps on with all the mess I would go to the boss and approch him in a nice way. but first have the two of them talk it out. and just take it from their. hope he stops I hate people like that.

Candice
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by nosamiam
That's a tough issue! If the old guy wasn't friends with the boss I would say tell right away. Maybe your BF could talk to the boss about the situation with out telling him who the person is. How long has your BF worked for this place?
He's been there for a year and 2 months now. I don't think talking to his boss without saying the guys name would do anything. There's only 4 guys that he works with so it's not too hard to figure out who he's talking about and another problem is that he's starting to think that maybe his boss is like that too if that's the kind of friends he has. :(

ckerr4
07-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Is it a national company, like a chain, or a small business? That could make the difference in how, or if, he approaches the boss. Then again, maybe if he just tells the co-worker why what he's saying offends him, the guy will stop (either because he's offended or embarrassed, etc). I hope your bf can find a resolution.

Maeryn
07-01-2003, 05:21 PM
I think this might actually be a violation of the law. If it's creating such an uncomfortable situation, he might want to get a legal opinion before he tries talking to his co-worker or boss.

DreamWarrior
07-01-2003, 05:30 PM
If I were him I would tell the boss anyway... that old man has NO right to talk to him about that kind of thing that way anyway... I mean yeah everyone is entitled to their opinions, but that kind of thing needs to be kept to yourself....

Ya also gotta wonder if the boss hired this old man because he knows about your race and is trying to get your BF to say something or do something so he can fire him.... some ppl just dont have the guts to do it themselves...