PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a sunburn?

ocvachick
06-29-2003, 12:23 PM
HELP! Yesterday I burned up really bad. Even my eye is swollen almost shut. Im not blistered, but didnt get much rest last night... What do I do for this? Ive tried aloe and its not touching it.. just making me feel REALLY cold.

TIA

Samantha

Widgetsx3
06-29-2003, 12:31 PM
There is no evidence-based research to support the safety and effectiveness of the following home treatment measures, but they may help relieve your sunburn symptoms.

Use equal parts of milk and water to make a cool compress.
Add oatmeal [0.5 cups (118.29 mL)] or baking soda to a cool water bath.
Use a moisturizer or light powder to smooth areas where skin rubs against skin (chafing).
Use calamine lotion for itching.
Cut a raw potato and spread the juice on the sunburned skin.
Use chamomile diluted in warm water or brewed into a tea to sponge on the sunburned skin.
Add 2 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil to 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to smooth over the sunburned skin.
Avoid breaking open any blisters and watch for any signs of a skin infection while using home treatment measures.

miccit
06-29-2003, 12:32 PM
Take some Advil to take out some of the inflammation. If your eye is almost swollen shut, you should probably seek medical attention. Call your doctor or ER and ask them what you should do.

Cool compresses might help. Cool baths might also.

Hope you feel better soon.

ocvachick
06-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Thank you all so much for your help. I went to the grocery store and got some Sooth-A-Caine which has aloe, menthol and lidocaine.

I plan on taking some advil.. or benadryl since I seem to have some allergies on top of this. (Cold symptoms)

If I get any worse Im calling a friends Dad who is an EMT and might have to let him take a look.

Thanks for all of your help :)

PreciousDarlin
06-29-2003, 03:25 PM
If you can stand the smell, vinegar is good for taking the heat out of a sunburn as well.....

squirt
06-29-2003, 04:23 PM
I can feel your pain, yes vinegar helps, but it burns like h**l when you put it on. I wish I had an idea, but other than vinegar None.
I know how you hurt

ocvachick
06-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think by the time this is all over Im going to stink anyways, I can barely take a shower! LOL

I dont think I can stand anymore burning feeling. The lip balm worked great on my lips.. My ankle is a bit swollen as is my forehead, so if that doesnt look better in the morning Im going to make a DR's appointment.

Thank you all again.

Samantha

Juli67
06-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Aloe Vera gel and noxzema work very well

cpbaby
06-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Evaporated milk works too. Put it on paper towels and lay it on the burned places.

Bless your heart. I dont go outside much for that very reason.

evrita
06-29-2003, 07:40 PM
I know the aloe makes you feel cool but it also gives your skin the moisture it needs helps prevent peeling too. This is coming from a sunburnt person too. 4 hours in the sun with sunblock :(

ocvachick
06-29-2003, 09:42 PM
thanks everyone... i just got out of the bath tub and had a nice soak. dont feel so dirty now, put in some aloe shampoo (yea i know a bit weird) had the bubbles going and now im spraying on some more aloe. hopefully ill get some rest tonight. if not poor everyone that has to come into contact with me tomorrow! LOL

Gumball1960
06-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Another thing that works (I've used it myself) is soaking some rags or old wash cloths in cool tea, lightly wring them out so they are still wet but not dripping and lay them on the burned areas. It does work but I think it has to be from tea bags and not instant. :) It really takes the heat out quick.

adair
06-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by PreciousDarlin
If you can stand the smell, vinegar is good for taking the heat out of a sunburn as well.....

that is what I always found to work best

justme23
06-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by ocvachick
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think by the time this is all over Im going to stink anyways, I can barely take a shower! LOL

I dont think I can stand anymore burning feeling. The lip balm worked great on my lips.. My ankle is a bit swollen as is my forehead, so if that doesnt look better in the morning Im going to make a DR's appointment.

Thank you all again.

Samantha

I got some pretty serious 2nd degree burns from the sun when I was like 13... back then I could wear a 2 piece and my body was sooo bad I could hardly lay on silk sheets, much less move. My grandmother (cause my father is a jerk and wouldn't) made me a docs appt after 3 days when the swelling wouldn't go away and bubbles started developing... they have a spray that is prescription only and lemme tell you... my bubbles went away in 24 hours and I started peeling w/in 48... it is a life saver for sure... Please see your dr... burns that cause swelling are usually severe 2nd degree and need attention.

MistyWolf
06-30-2003, 07:35 AM
Just got back from Florida and while I was there of course got a little too much sun. A friend of mine who lives there said to use vinegar .. she said to put a half a cup in a lukewarm bath and it will sting for a few minutes when you first get in, but she said the vinegar will take the skin out of your burn and will also help you to not peel. I didn't do it cause when I lay in the sun and get red it always (well almost always) goes away by the next morning.

I did use aloe vera gel with lidocaine & menthol and solarcain which helped.

Hope you are feeling better

Bick'sMom
06-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I feel for ya. We went to Florida last spring, I have never been there and had no idea that I would burn as bad as I did. I wore sunscreen but I still burned....my face was so swollen I looked like the beast in beauty and the beast.

vinegar is what I used but it sounds as though there are maybe some more pleasant smelling home remedies! Good Luck with it.

ocvachick
06-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Today Im feeling a bit better. I got some rest last night, which helped everything and everyone i had to be around today LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions.

nosamiam
06-30-2003, 05:21 PM
I had a bad burn a couple weeks ago. I found this site and used Ibuprofen and used 1% hydrocortisone cream. Make sure to drink alot of water and use cold damp wash cloth on the burn.

I felt much better once I did what the site said to do.

http://www.stlouischildrens.org/articles/article_print.asp?ID=558

Good luck!