PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done if....

LitWtch
06-29-2003, 09:59 AM
you were at the grocery store and there are baggers there that work only for tips. They take turns and wait in line for the next station to open. There was a "lady" bagging my groceries, and there was a man patiently waiting for the next round. I had a very large order, and the man started to help, as they all do.The "lady" tells him not to bother, and continues to bag the groceries. THEN, her friend comes on duty, and she proceeds to call her friend over to help her and tells them, in front of me and the cashier, "he (the man waiting patiently) can go else where"& then she told her friend "she told her she would save her a spot"! :eek: The friend decided it ws best to go else where, but the damage was already done, don't you think?

I'll refrain from saying what I did do, but what would you have done?:confused:

tiffany21
06-29-2003, 10:27 AM
I would of told the manager.

mlayton1994
06-29-2003, 10:45 AM
I would go to the manager about this.

Iluvbears
06-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Here where I live you can not give the baggers tips. It states clearly at the registers & on the entrance doors of all supermarkets. I don't see what the problem is about giving someone a tip for helping. But then again 90% of the time you gotta bag your owe groceries because theres not a bagger in sight. I believe if you have to bag your own stuff and pay out the butt for items, you should get a 20% discount off your total bill.

As for your question..I wouldn't go running to the manager. There's a time to confront the manager about things and there's a time not to. The manager may favor one employee over another. The lady may be his/her favorit. I myself, Would get more satisfaction out of telling the "woman" (in question) what I thought.

kat08011
06-29-2003, 10:55 AM
i would find the male bagger and tip him!

LitWtch
06-29-2003, 12:31 PM
:D :D :D

I should have explained - this is a military commissary, and the baggers work for tips ONLY. I already have a call into the general manager, who is not in until tomorrow.
Any how, here's how I DID manage the situation:

The man, after the "lady" was done and waiting for me to pay, kindly walked into his station and apologized for not helping. I told him it was not his place to apologize, as I had seen how she treated him, and heard what she had said. Even the cashier apologized. I had her take the groceries to my friends car just outside the doors, and she loaded them into the car. My friend (a male) began to help and she told him not to. After she was done, I closed the back and thanked her politely and proceeded to get into the car. She "kindly" reminded me that the baggers work for tips only at that time. I turned around and told her I was aware of that fact, and the tip I had for her was that perhaps she should learn to treat her co workers with a little more kindness and courtesy.
Was I too much in the wrong NOT to give her a monetary tip when normally I would have given her $4?

DreamWarrior
06-29-2003, 12:40 PM
I would have given the monetary tip to the gentleman that apologized. Seems to me that he earned it much more than the woman who bagged the groceries.

HumNbirdMO
06-29-2003, 12:41 PM
No, I don't think you did the wrong thing...sounds like she got the tip that she deserved!! Did she say anything to you after you gave her whatfor??? I bet the look on her face was priceless LOL!! Maybe (hopefully) she will keep what you said in mind the next time she decides to shoot her mouth off and treat a co-worker like crap.

LitWtch
06-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by HumNbirdMO
Did she say anything to you after you gave her whatfor??? I bet the look on her face was priceless LOL!!

Oddly, when I said what I did, she just quietly walked away as if she was EXPECTING me to say that:eek: :eek: It was then that I decided a call to the general manager was in order.

I don't mind them bagging and carrying the stuff to the car - I just really do not like to do that, heck, I don't even like putting them away! But I always try to treat them with respect, and always tip them well. Most of the baggers here are college kids and retirees. I wanted to give the tip to the man, but if I did, then it is like he stole her tip, and I had another plan.
I will definately be speaking with the manager tomorrow, and will also let him know how courteously the man and the cashier handled them selves.
What REALLY irks me, EMELLE, is when they start to speak a different language, thinking that you don't understand them! I usually shoot back with a comment in their language - now THAT look is priceless:D :D :D

Dolly<3
06-29-2003, 09:50 PM
I would have given her what I normally give the baggers (if I tipped baggers; we can't here) b/c she did her job. I'd have given the man half of what I gave her b/c he offered to help, and would have if she had let him. Maybe even the same amount.

If I didn’t want to tip her, I’d have asked her to stop and let the man behind her do it (or help her do it).

justme23
06-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I think what you did was fair... I'm glad they don't bag groceries here... even women w/ families who do all the shopping suck at bagging groceries... You do NOT put health care products (shampoo soap toothpaste) in the SAME BAG AS MEAT!!! And once and for all, would you pick my damn bread up by the little piece of plastic on the end and quit smashing it w/ your huge mammoth looking dirty hands! I tell them when I get there, do NOT touch my bread I'll scan it myself and it's your lucky day, I'll bag my groceries myself. I tell you, I was praising God above when our Kroger got a self scanner and I got to do it all myself... but since I AM doing it all myself, I should get a 20 percent discount since the stockers are the only ppl I'm paying for now.

Sorry to vent on your vent.

justme23
06-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Zitra, I would agree w/ you, except she said the baggers ONLY get payed in tips in a later post. While she did not deserve a big tip and how the OP handled the situation is beyond acceptable considering the way this woman acted... I probably still would have given her a minimal tip ($1.00) because she DID bag the groceries and take them to the car... but only because the tips are their pay and NOT because she deserved it.

LitWtch
06-30-2003, 04:56 AM
NOw, now, let's not argue! LOL! I did ask if what I did was acceptable or not...
At our commissary, we have very few choices: paper or plastic, bagger or no bagger (which leaves me to bag my own, also which I don't care to do).
We cannot tell the one to stop and get the next person up, as that is not fair to the initial bagger - they must go in order. She was half way done with my order when she did this. The man came in line then, and started to help her. She told him to stop, that she would do it herself, then when her friend came on duty, she called her over. My male friend had already gotten his groceries, and brought the car up to the front of the store, not even 20 feet from the cash register, so it's not like she had taken a great deal of time walking to the parking lot and then having to walk back. If I had tipped the man, she would have recourse and had him relieved from his job for accepting a tip that she had bagged. I did say I normally tip very well - this is the first time in 16 years that I have not tipped a bagger, regardless of how they did the job. It just plucked on my last nerve that she treated another person like that in public. Our baggers do not have senoirity, since they technically do not get paid - their money is tax free and cash. Friends of mine usually average $200 or more a day, so I really don't think she will miss the $4 I would have given her. Yes she did part of her job, but the other part she did not do - common courtesy and respect. She offened me, her customer, by treating the man, and my friend, in such a manner. Then she "politely" reminded me that they work for tips only, which is AGAINST the rules. Technically they are there to provide a free service and are permitted to accept tips when they are offered!
Perhaps I should have given her a minimal tip, perhaps not - my choice was to give her a tip on how to treat her co workers.

bajagodiva
06-30-2003, 05:22 AM
I totally agree with how you handled it. I would have done the exact same thing. The "tip" you gave her is a more valuable one anyway :D

ieatalot
06-30-2003, 08:04 AM
I would have told her to get away from my stuff & then ask the man to please do my bagging. I always tell the cashiers around here that I will bag my own things, that way its packed heavy & full & the way I want it done but then again I am strange, I love going gorcery shopping & putting the stuff away. I don't even like it when my hubby tries to help me unpack!

ieatalot
06-30-2003, 08:28 AM
yeah I understand that but I don't think that rude woman was following any rules either so I still would have told her to back off & she how she likes being belittled in front of everyone.

Donnagg123
06-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by zitra
I unndersttod that ips are the ONLY pay these baggers receive (I used to shop at a commisary myself), but a tip is a gratuity for good, curteous work. Just becuase the work is performed, does not mean a tip should be given. This bagger should know that gettign tips depends on alot of things, not just doig nthe work, but being curteous and gracious while doing the work. Also if a person says I wil ltake the bags out myself, where does a bagger get off saying "no". Just becuase they "work for tips" does not mean, that a person HAS to tip them, if they don't like their behavior or service. When I shopped at a commisary, I tipped good baggers, but only if they had the good attitude to go along with it. I do the same i would do for anyone else who recieved tips. If a waitress was rude, even if they got my entire order right, and the food was good, I would not tip that person.

You are right, because I used to be a server and I have seen people (other servers) that gave bad service and didn't get squat or maybe a penny. I think the same should apply in this situation too. Most would not give a server money just because that is how he/she gets their income if they gave bad service. JMHO

LitWtch
06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
OK, here's how it ends....
I spoke with the general manager. These baggers are independant contractors - meaning they are not hired by the commissary BUT they must follow a set of guidelines just like other employees. I will be going up to "identify" the bagger, because he suspects he has had other similiar complaints on her, IF she is the one I identify. She WILL loose her job if it is the same person. If she is a different person, she will be "given a few days off to think over her actions". The cashier also waged a complaint before I did.
Now do I feel bad because she may loose her job? NOPE - there is far too much discord in the world, but far more willing people who need the job and are willing to abide by the rules. She was rude and disrespectful to a co worker and a customer, she ASKED for a "tip". 3 strikes in a row. :(

Dolly<3
06-30-2003, 02:04 PM
If I couldn't have asked her to stop, I would have given her half of her tip for doing half of her job. There are plenty of mean, hateful people in the world doing their jobs, and I don't see their managers docking them pay for the day for being that way.

It's just not my place to judge people. For all I know, that man was a total jerk to her earlier that day. Even if she's just a bitter, callous person in general, it's not my place to judge her if she's not directing it at me.

Dolly<3
06-30-2003, 02:08 PM
P.S. Lit, I think you did the right thing. You did what you felt was right; your heart was in the right place and in my book, that's a GOOD thing. :) I think anyone w/any feelings at all would have felt sorry for that man.

Princess4J
06-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by kat08011
i would find the male bagger and tip him!

THATS WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE :D

dlwt
06-30-2003, 02:23 PM
I think you did the right thing ALL the way around. I also liked what you said to her. If she was paid something from you where is she EVER going to learn she did wrong?? We all need to take responsiblity for our actions

justinenycole26
07-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by dlwt
I think you did the right thing ALL the way around. I also liked what you said to her. If she was paid something from you where is she EVER going to learn she did wrong?? We all need to take responsiblity for our actions

Ditto! Very well said!

MySonNick1
07-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by LitWtch
NOw, now, let's not argue! LOL! I did ask if what I did was acceptable or not...
At our commissary, we have very few choices: paper or plastic, bagger or no bagger (which leaves me to bag my own, also which I don't care to do).
We cannot tell the one to stop and get the next person up, as that is not fair to the initial bagger - they must go in order. She was half way done with my order when she did this. The man came in line then, and started to help her. She told him to stop, that she would do it herself, then when her friend came on duty, she called her over. My male friend had already gotten his groceries, and brought the car up to the front of the store, not even 20 feet from the cash register, so it's not like she had taken a great deal of time walking to the parking lot and then having to walk back. If I had tipped the man, she would have recourse and had him relieved from his job for accepting a tip that she had bagged. I did say I normally tip very well - this is the first time in 16 years that I have not tipped a bagger, regardless of how they did the job. It just plucked on my last nerve that she treated another person like that in public. Our baggers do not have senoirity, since they technically do not get paid - their money is tax free and cash. Friends of mine usually average $200 or more a day, so I really don't think she will miss the $4 I would have given her. Yes she did part of her job, but the other part she did not do - common courtesy and respect. She offened me, her customer, by treating the man, and my friend, in such a manner. Then she "politely" reminded me that they work for tips only, which is AGAINST the rules. Technically they are there to provide a free service and are permitted to accept tips when they are offered!
Perhaps I should have given her a minimal tip, perhaps not - my choice was to give her a tip on how to treat her co workers.

I think what you did was acceptable. I wouldn't have given her any money either.