PDA

View Full Version : Coke Driver Allegedly Fired For Drinking Pepsi

odyssey
06-14-2003, 07:53 AM
http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0613/2269452.jpg
Coke Driver Allegedly Fired For Drinking Pepsi
Union Says Company Cited Rule Barring 'Slander' Of Product

POSTED: 12:44 p.m. PDT June 13, 2003

SYLMAR, Calif. -- Union officials were up in arms Friday after a 12-year route driver for Coke was allegedly fired after management discovered he was drinking a Pepsi.

Rick Bronson, a member of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 848, was fired Thursday after someone reported him to management for drinking a Pepsi, according to the union.

"Coke is really grasping at straws on this one," said Jim Santangelo, principal officer of Teamsters Local 848 and international vice president. "This is nothing more than an attempt to get rid of a pro-union employee. The Teamsters will fight every step of the way to get Rick's job back."

He said all "of this nonsense stems from the fact that the Teamsters have had a lot of success in organizing Coke merchandisers in Southern California recently."

"Rick Bronson was actively involved in these organizing campaigns and Coke management knew it. That's why they are firing him, and we will not stand for it," Santangelo said.

Bob Phillips of the Coca-Cola Co. did not want to comment on the specific allegations.

"In recognition of the state's laws protecting the rights of individual privacy, we don't comment on specific terms and conditions of employment with regard to any employee," he said.

Coke fired Bronson under a company rule that bars "slander" of the product, according to the union. Phillips said the company would not resort to a pretext to fire an employee involved with the union.

"I think I can tell you that we have at this company a strict policy against retaliation and the company does not retaliate, nor do we tolerate any retaliation against employees," he said.

Teamsters Local 848 has filed unfair labor practice charges against Coca-Cola over the incident, according to the union.

ilvmy3babs
06-14-2003, 08:14 AM
:confused: he should be able to drink what he wants.:)

squirt
06-14-2003, 09:59 AM
I was listening to KABC in Los Angeles last night and heard this, the commentator said the same thing happened to him, he was driving a coke truck and drank a pepsi, so they fired him.
What if you worked for Mc Donalds, and ate at Jack In The box, would they fire you also? What has this old world come to!!!

Widgetsx3
06-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Depends on if he was driving the Coke truck or not....if he was on personal time....no reason for the firing....but if he was in a Coke truck and drinking a Pepsi...I can see the problem. There are alot of companies that have rules like that. I know of a few upscale retail stores that you MUST wear their clothes while at work.....kind of makes sense...if you are in the business of distibuting or selling a certain product, why would the company want you "sdvertising" another.

suziebee20
06-14-2003, 11:57 AM
If he was on personal time then that's pretty dumb. I was thinking about putting in an application at Albertsons... hope they don't fire me if I get a job because I always shop at Vons.

Sun_Angel
06-14-2003, 02:06 PM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A US truck driver who worked for the Coca-Cola Bottling Company has been sacked after being spotted glugging down a soft drink made by the rival Pepsi company, union officials said.

Rick Bronson, who worked for the world's biggest soft drink firm for 12 years, was fired after someone reported him for supporting the enemy, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters said.

"Coke is really grasping at straws on this one," said Jim Santangelo, principal officer of Teamsters' branch of which Bronson is a member in El Monte, east of the California hub of Los Angeles.

"This is nothing more than an attempt to get rid of a pro-union employee. The Teamsters will fight every step of the way to get Rick's job back," he vowed.

The Teamsters claim that Coke really sacked the worker because of his work three months ago in organizing Coke merchandising workers under the powerful union's aegis.

The dismissal came after he was allegedly spotted in the back room of a store where he was making a delivery swigging on a Pepsi.

Bronson believes the person who reported him for publicly straying from his home brand had been hired by Coke to follow him and catch him off guard.

The union alleges that Coke fired Bronson under a company rule that bars "slander" of the world famous product after he was seen drinking the rival soft drink, Santangelo said.

"Hey, Rick's a Pepsi drinker, what can he do?" he said. But it's not as if he was seen drinking a Pepsi in Times Square on live TV -- he was in the backroom of a store.

"This wasn't slanderous, they just wanted him because of his union activity and because he is a union leader," he claimed.

A spokesman for the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. in Southern California, Bob Phillips, declined to comment on the allegations and on the case citing California's privacy laws, but said the company would not resort to a pretext to fire an employee active in a union.

"I can tell you that we have at this company a strict policy against retaliation and the company does not retaliate, nor do we tolerate any retaliation against employees," he said.

The Teamsters Local 848 has filed unfair labour practice charges against Coca-Cola over the incident, according to the union.

Coca-Cola in California and the Teamster have been at loggerheads over labour-related disputes, including strikes, involving Coke workers in recent months and negotiations over other contentious issues are still under way.

gravittr
06-14-2003, 03:45 PM
how sad. got better things to worry about

Donnagg123
06-15-2003, 09:41 AM
http://www.98funfiles.com/members/funfiles/ACFZXAjqf.jpg

ilvmy3babs
06-15-2003, 09:43 AM
:D good one donnagg123!:D :D :D

Widgetsx3
06-15-2003, 09:54 AM
roflmao @ Donnagg