PDA

View Full Version : I need advise again......

MySonNick1
06-12-2003, 04:03 PM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!! Ok. the woman called me back today. Now I need a different kind of advice. She wants me to babysit and she wants me to start tomorrow. The thing is, the hours are horrible I think. I would be watching her 2 boys from 2:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. every day and some days I would be watching them from 5:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. Now the pay is good but that is a lot of hours. What are your guys opinions on this Would any of you watch them or not? Or if you ever have watched kids for this many hours, Is it really hard? Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok....Here's the thing, I babysit, and someone called me the other day needing a babysitter, she called like on Monday, well I was out and when I got home it was late so I called her on Tuesday, well she said she wanted to come and meet us and we could meet them and she wanted to do this yesterday, Wednesday, and she said she would call me on Wednesday morning and get my address and stuff, but she never called, so I called her yesterday, wednesday at about noon, and she said she was busy packing cause they have to move this weekend and she would call me back when she was done packing, but she never called me back and she still hasn't called, and needless to say, she didn't come yesterday because she never called to confirm it or get my address. The reason I called her yesterday was because I needed to see if she was still coming or not. So, I was wondering if I should just give up on this, Not call her again and just assume she found another babysitter or doesn't need a babysitter anymore, or should I wait and see if she calls me again and if I do this how long should I wait, or should I call her and see what's going on? I don't want her to think I am bothering her or I am impatiant or anything. Please help. Thank you.

Brandy

~MK~
06-12-2003, 04:04 PM
I say give up, she probably found someone else.

FreeIs4Me
06-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Look at it this way - if you are waiting around for her to call for your address, you probably don't want her as a "client" cuz you would have to wait for to pay you, too! LOL!

Forget about it unless she makes the attempt to meet you.

MySonNick1
06-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Machande_Kennels
I say give up, she probably found someone else.

Well, she did say she couldn't find anyone else that would watch them, because when she told the other's the hours she needed they didn't like the hours. She needs her kids watched from 2:00 in the afternoon until 11:00 at night.

odyssey
MySonNick1 I think wait a few more days, like yousaid she is very busy lots on her mind, Call Monday afternoon and just tell her that if she is interested to come right away because you may be filling that spot with another child. It is a small white lie, but might get her motived to come down or finally say she is not interested anymore.
good luck

MySonNick1
Originally posted by FreeIs4Me
Look at it this way - if you are waiting around for her to call for your address, you probably don't want her as a "client" cuz you would have to wait for to pay you, too! LOL!

Forget about it unless she makes the attempt to meet you.

Thank you.

MySonNick1
06-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by odyssey
MySonNick1 I think wait a few more days, like yousaid she is very busy lots on her mind, Call Monday afternoon and just tell her that if she is interested to come right away because you may be filling that spot with another child. It is a small white lie, but might get her motived to come down or finally say she is not interested anymore.
good luck

She said she is very busy, she is moving this weekend. Thank you for your input.

Shancopp
06-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Yup, if she wants ya, she'll call. I had a few peeps do that to me or say, We'll be there at 5 to meet ya. Then never show! I knew that was someone I didn't want to sit for! Good luck.

MySonNick1
06-12-2003, 04:45 PM
I had suggested to her that we meet this weekend sometime, but she wanted to meet yesterday. So I said ok..and then I waited for her to call and she never did, so I don't know anymore.

Danny
06-12-2003, 08:00 PM
My advice is to go about your life as usual - she may be busy but it's just rude not to call and to keep you hanging.
If you do take on her kid(s) you will probably be waiting for her to pick them up hours after she is due and waiting for the money she is supposed to pay.
I would hope you value your time more than that. A responsible person keeps their committments or calls to cancel or reschedule. She isn't suddenly going to become more responsible because you have her kids!

MySonNick1
06-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Danny
My advice is to go about your life as usual - she may be busy but it's just rude not to call and to keep you hanging.
If you do take on her kid(s) you will probably be waiting for her to pick them up hours after she is due and waiting for the money she is supposed to pay.
I would hope you value your time more than that. A responsible person keeps their committments or calls to cancel or reschedule. She isn't suddenly going to become more responsible because you have her kids!

You are probably right, I'm still not exactly sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I guess I'll figure it out soon.

MySonNick1
06-13-2003, 12:20 PM
just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who gave me suggestions on this.

janelle
06-13-2003, 12:30 PM
If she calls great, if she doesn't then forget about it. When I sewed for people some would call and tell me they would show up but they didn't so I just forgot about it. I wasn't sewing on anything of there's and yes even some of those didn't come back. I just figured if it was important to them they would contact me. You will always have lots of other people in need of your survices.

MySonNick1
06-16-2003, 12:06 PM
bump

smeans
06-16-2003, 12:12 PM
aw man i dont know. do you know anything about the boys? do they seem like theyre gonna be a handful? the 2:00 to 11:00 MIGHT not be too bad depending on what time you usually go to sleep and how well behaved they are. But, the 5:00 till 11:00....ugh!! ive done alot of babysitting and i dont know if i would be willing to keep someones kids for that long. maybe you could tell her that you will do it on a trial basis for a week or two and see how it goes. as for the money, just keep in mind that on the long days youll be feeding them their breakfast,lunch,supper and snacks which *can get costly. so just try to keep that in mind. good luck and let us know what you decide

kelblend
06-16-2003, 12:17 PM
I couldn't do it, but that's just me. LOL I have three of my own though. You don't say the ages of the boys either or how many kids you have at home yourself. I'm just not a babysitter type of person . Up to 11 pm would make me think twice. There would be dinner, the bedtime and then waking them up (if they are small) when Mom comes back and so on and so on....

MySonNick1
06-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by smeans
aw man i dont know. do you know anything about the boys? do they seem like theyre gonna be a handful? the 2:00 to 11:00 MIGHT not be too bad depending on what time you usually go to sleep and how well behaved they are. But, the 5:00 till 11:00....ugh!! ive done alot of babysitting and i dont know if i would be willing to keep someones kids for that long. maybe you could tell her that you will do it on a trial basis for a week or two and see how it goes. as for the money, just keep in mind that on the long days youll be feeding them their breakfast,lunch,supper and snacks which *can get costly. so just try to keep that in mind. good luck and let us know what you decide

Well.....I haven't met them yet, but she says that the 3 year old can have a temper and the 1 year is very attached to her. She also said that she can provide their meals and snacks and stuff for the week.

MySonNick1
06-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Also, I do have a 4 year old son and he is the most important thing to me in the world, and I know that I need to pay a lot of attention to him and spend time with him. So I want to be able to spent time with him and give him attention but I know I will also have to give these kids attention and time too.

janelle
06-16-2003, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't do it unless I was desperate for the money. I like to have my evenings for myself and family.

janelle
06-16-2003, 12:54 PM
I need advice again......UPDATE!!!!
UPDATE!!!!!!!!! Ok. the woman called me back today. Now I need a different kind of advice. She wants me to babysit and she wants me to start tomorrow. The thing is, the hours are horrible I think. I would be watching her 2 boys from 2:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. every day and some days I would be watching them from 5:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. Now the pay is good but that is a lot of hours. What are your guys opinions on this Would any of you watch them or not? Or if you ever have watched kids for this many hours, Is it really hard? Thank you

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm putting your update back her, hope you don't mind.

debbyfaye
06-16-2003, 12:55 PM
There is no way I would babysit for that long. Even though I work in my home I consider it a fulltime "real job" and I don't want to take time away from my family. Granted, my daughter is home during the summer, but I can't devote the one on one time that I'd like to when I am watching my childcare children.

I can't even imagine watching from 2-11. Are you watching anyone during the regular daytime hours? That is just too long of a day. You need some time for yourself.

I hoard my family time and won't give it up unless I absolutely have to.

janelle
06-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Geesh, I just read the hours closer. You would be raising her kids for her. This is a bad situation.

MySonNick1
06-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ravenlost
I'm just curious. What is that woman doing from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.??? When my children were that age I would never leave them for such long stretches of time.

She said she works

flowerfairy
06-16-2003, 01:03 PM
I do in home daycare I have my 2 and watch 3 others. My feeling is that you need your family time I look forward to 5:00 when all the daycare kids go home and its time to get our dinner ready......That is my calm time and you definately need that for yourself mysonnick1!

smeans
06-16-2003, 01:07 PM
i agree flowerfairy

Danny
06-16-2003, 06:37 PM
If you do decide to watch her children - make sure you draw up a contract & take an application from her that includes where she works, alternate contacts in case of an emergency and medical permission slips in case of an accident needing medical attention. PROTECT YOURSELF no matter what.

justinenycole26
06-16-2003, 08:00 PM
No way in hell I would go for hours like that. Not to mention that she seems kinda flaky with not calling you back and all. That would lead me to believe she is not a very relaible person. Trust me, if you have these kids from 5am to 11pm you will be BURNED OUT after a month or two. Besides, does she really expect you to believe she works 18 hours a day? I don't think so. If you were my best friend and asking me this over a cup of coffee, I would tell you DON'T DO IT!

janelle
06-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Does her name happen to be Manda? LOL