PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook a roast????

magicwoman19
06-12-2003, 11:09 AM
My mom gave me a roast before she moved away, and I was wondering how do you cook it? How long do you need to cook it? What do you put in with it??? I have never made one before. She also gave me some stew meat, and I don't know how to make that either. Can you all help! TIA Lisa

Princess4J
06-12-2003, 11:11 AM
PUT THE ROAST IN A CROCK POT.
YOU CAN BUY A SEASONING PACKET
(FOR ROASTS ;) ) ADD
CARROTTS & POTATOES.

JUST LET IT COOK ALL DAY.

FOR THE STEW MEAT

AGAIN CROCKPOT.

I PUT A HOT , RED ENCHILDA SAUCE
OVER IT, THEN JUST MAKE RICE & BEANS,

~MK~
06-12-2003, 11:14 AM
I make mine:

Garlic, onion powder, worchestire sauce, salt, pepper and a package of dried onion soup mix. Put a couple TBS. of water over it, add carrots and potatoes in the roaster.

*Make sure you put a bit of water in the bottom* Bake at 350* for about 2 hours, depending on the size.

magicwoman19
06-12-2003, 11:15 AM
whoo that sounds good. I don't have any Enchilda sauce though, but I think I will make the roast today, cause dh gets home at 9:00 tonight and I wanna have dinner ready for him to eat! I will probably make the stew tomorrow, cause that is all I have to eat here. other than hot dogs and I have been eating them so much that I am burnt out on em! :)

magicwoman19
06-12-2003, 11:16 AM
my mom did say that if I had roast left over that you can make hash out of it. I might try that too. Cause it is a good size roast. I think!

justbeachy
06-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Depends on how you like it. I don't like to heat up my house with the oven so I do mine on the stove. I pierce the roast and shove in *cloves of garlic and dust the outside with flour. I pour a little oil in the bottom of my pot and brown the roast on each side, then I add worsterchire, pepper and a whole onion cut up, cover the roast with water then cook till tender, make sure the roast stays barely covered with water. To make gravy, take 2 tbl spoons cornstarch or flour in a 1/2 cup cold water, mix till smooth and pour into pot with roast. It will thicken up instantly. If I don't have the cloves I just sprinkle garlic powder over the top.

I serve with mashed potatoes or rice and veggies. It sounds harder than it is. Takes about 20 minutes prep time and then you just watch it on the stove.

justbeachy
06-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Also with the stew meat you can make stroganoff, chili, stir fry, mexican, sandwiches, etc. Lots of options.

Bick'sMom
06-12-2003, 12:21 PM
I put mine in the roaster add some dry onion soup mix, a can of mushroom soup and about 2 cans of water. Let it cook at 350 til it's tender. This way the gravy is really tasty!

Sometimes I put mine in the oven in the morning (roast is still frozen) and cook it all day at about 300.

You can cook the stew meat the same way. When it's tender add some potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and let them cook til tender and you have stew!

MsLynn
06-12-2003, 12:28 PM
slow cook it all day in a covered cast iron skillet, then about 1 1/2 hrs before we eat i add potatos and carrots till they are tender and the water is all gone, SUPER TENDER AND DELICIOUS