PDA

View Full Version : GYN problem I'm concerned about my MOM

mesue
06-11-2003, 04:20 AM
My poor Mom had a bladder tack up 6-7 years ago, at the time she went into surgery she had all parts, a year or so later she went to see her regular dr. who sent her back to the gyn who did the bladder tackup as he left he told the nurse my Mom had a hysterectomy. The only dr. who had touched her was him and get this when she left the hospital she left with only instructions for bladder tackup I was there when the nurse gave her the info., I was also there when he came out to talk to the family not one word about a hysterectomy. Now 6 years later and she is going to his partner he has retired, I told her to explain all this to the current dr.. Anyway I don't think she did, she is bleeding through her vagina and he sent her to a dr. to examine her for colon cancer which is fine she needs that exam but what about the bleeding from the vagina, he didn't even address it just sent her to this dr.. Should I insist she see someone else I'm not sure she will listen to me.

Maggie02
06-11-2003, 04:26 AM
As a patient, she has the medical right to have a copy of her records. Tell her to get that done today! Sometimes what is most damaging to a physician are their own notes: if those notes show he ordered only a bladder tack-up, yet your mother received a hysterectomy, I would say you have a good malpractice case and that you would need to secore a competent attorney to file suit.

rain_cries
06-11-2003, 04:32 AM
(((hugs))) Why is it that dr's who are supposed to be caring for women's issues never address them? Like unexplained vaginal bleeding is nothing... I would definately ask her if she told the new dr about the hysterectomy when she wasn't supposed to have one and find out where this bleeding is coming from. While she probably does need an exam for colon cancer, the other issue of unexplained bleeding does need to be addressed and also she needs to see her chart and find out why the hysterectomy was done and why she wasn't informed. Was she in menopause when this happened, because if he removed her ovaries, she would stop having her cycle - ie having PMS like symptoms or would have menopause symptoms?

Unbelieveable! My thoughts are with you and your mom!

mesue
06-11-2003, 04:41 AM
MY MOm was just turning 62 when this happened, she won't sue. By the time we found out he had retired and not that that makes any difference to her but it does to me at least he won't be doing this to anyone else. Why she won't sue I don't know but I really don't think she said anything about it to the other dr. she was so afraid he would think she was going to sue his old partner I don't think she said anything. I keep hearing people say that so many people are sue happy my Mom nearly died once when a copperhead snakebite was misdiagnosed as a spiderbite and she did not sue and now she won't sue this dr.. I think my Mom is wrong not to have sued either time, sometimes suing a bad dr. is protecting the poor soul who comes behind you.

Maggie02
06-11-2003, 05:24 AM
I can understand your mother's apprehension in not wanting to sue because this country seems to be sue-happy. For me, lawsuits are there for those that really need that avenue (like your mother). It's a way to help those that come after people like your mother.

squirt
06-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Bleeding after having a hysterectomy is NOT normal. I had a partial over 20 years ago, and the doctor told me if I started bleeding to see a doctor. Checking for colon cancer has nothing to do with bleeding from the vagina. Check into finding a new doctor. Hope things get better for both of you, have a good day!!!