PDA

View Full Version : Silly summons in New York

Widgetsx3
06-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Cops on Silly Summons Blitz

Jun 6, 11:06 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - It's the city where anything goes. Just don't sit on a milk crate, take up two subway seats or have a loud conversation.
The Big Apple is hard up and the city's cops are writing tickets to beat the band. Among the myriad offenses to be avoided: carrying an open bottle of water onto a bus or being a man in a playground without a child.

"This city has become a summons machine intent upon picking the pockets it is supposed to serve," Patrolmen's Benevolent Association spokesman Al O'Leary said in an interview.

The so-called ticketing blitz has kept the city's tabloids busy. The Daily News has made it an almost daily routine to highlight the preposterous ticketing policies of the city's men and women in blue.

Among the gems lately are the man fined for sitting on a milk crate, enforcing a transit rule forbidding riders to use more than one seat on a bus or subway and a Queens woman who was ticketed for talking loudly to her neighbor.

"I couldn't leave the food on the stove," Noris Lopez, the criminally loud talker, told the newspaper. "So I opened my door and my friend opened her door and we stood in front of our apartments talking."

The result? A $25 ticket from a cop who had just responded to a nearby disturbance.

"Is there a ticket blitz?" Jordan Barowitz, a City Hall spokesman asked rhetorically. "There are millions of summonses given out by the city every year. This year, compared to last year, fewer tickets are being given out."

That may be the case, but with the city facing a massive budget crunch, all manner of fines have skyrocketed, most notably parking fines, which now often run at more than $100 a pop. Even free Sunday parking has been outlawed in most of Manhattan in an effort to fill dwindling city coffers.

Even if there is a ticketing blitz, city officials insist quality of life summonses are nothing new. In 1996, an amusement park was fined $250 for having a coin operated game three feet (one meter) onto the sidewalk, Barowitz said, citing several other wacky examples of yesteryear.

Billionaire Mayor Michael Bloomberg says he has not ordered police to go on a ticketing tear, even in the face of a multibillion dollar budget deficit.

"There is no ticketing blitz," he said in a radio interview on Friday. "Maybe there should be, but there is none.

"If you want to have great quality of life, the way to have it is giving tickets to people when they break the law," he said.

"We don't make money on these things," he added. "Quite the contrary. It costs more to write the summons than we get in revenue. The purpose is to get people to comply with the law."

But one police advocacy group has run full page advertisements in local papers insisting that cops are also unhappy about the high number of quality of life tickets.

chrissypoo
06-07-2003, 09:27 AM
Well, I for one love NYC. The city went into total shock on 9/11 and I have to give the New Yorker's a lot of credit for bouncing back. It went into serious financial difficulty.

Hey, if a person is breaking the law then they need to be ticketed. My opinion. LOL