PDA

View Full Version : Only 2% can figure out this Riddle

Guyreino
06-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Riddle
There are 5 houses of 5 different colors. In each house lives a person of a different nationality. Each of the 5 residents drinks a certain type of beverage, smokes a certain brand of cigar, and keeps a certain pet. None of them have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same beverage.

The question is: Who owns the fish?

Hints:

The Brit lives in the red house.

The Swede keeps dogs as pets.

The Dane drinks tea.

The green house is on the left of the white house.

The resident of the green house drinks coffee.

The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.

The resident of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.

The resident of the center house drinks milk.

The Norwegian lives in the first house.

The person who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.

The person who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.

The person who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.

The German smokes Prince.

The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

The person who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

R U in The Top 2% Try it!

Answer: http://www.euchred.com/einstein/einstein_riddle.htm

Gumball1960
06-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Is it German and the green house? Everything else I tried kept coming up "wrong password" but that one just had Page Cannot Be Found.

DeathRaven
06-05-2003, 02:24 AM
You have to understand how Einstein's brain works (good luck). He almost NEVER went with the obvious. There are double meanings to most of his riddles. This double meaning comes in the form of the word "Brit." Most would say this is a term for the ethnic background of "Brittish." In my Vocational Agricultural class from highschool I remember the word brit being used in place of a type of fish. Scanning the net I came across this definition:

Definition of Brit (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=brit)

brit also britt: The young of herring and similar fish.

Now consider the color house that the Brit lived in, "Red." Anyone for a Red Herring dinner? The term that is reffered to as a clue is actually meant to throw one off the trail. An antiquated term by our modern standards of English, but no less entertaining.

Now...the page did not list two answers. The correct Technical answer that could be discovered was The German in the fourth house that was green. He who likes to drink coffee and smoke Princes. But most would argue Einstein would challenge people to "assume nothing." In this case, try not to assume that the term Brit stood for the Brittish ethnicity. It was the method of experimentation he was used to. He found that physics is never what it seems, change a variable to the wrong letter and you could find out that there's something hidden there that should be impossible.

Warp your mind, free your body.

GAWildKat
06-05-2003, 02:31 AM
*runs in and pounces DeathRaven*

Congrats on solving the puzzle, I know you enjoyed it :):):):rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Btw Everyone Welcome him to the board, he's been lurking a bit under my name but decided to register himself to tackle the riddle in his own name lol:D :eek: :D :eek:

DeathRaven
06-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the complete and utter embarassment Kitty. Realy...it gives me this warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Now excuse me while I go puke. :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

Gumball1960
06-05-2003, 02:44 AM
I'm too tired to care how Einstein's brain works since mine isn't working right now either. :D I'm off to bed. G'night. :)

GAWildKat
06-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Aren't you a sweetie???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's ok I know you still love me. :p :p :p :p :p :p

*Grabs DeathRaven and heads to bed* :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

smeans
06-05-2003, 04:38 AM
welcome to the board DeathRaven

kelblend
06-05-2003, 05:07 AM
oh nevermind LOL I had the ...nevermind.:rolleyes: