PDA

View Full Version : how do you litter box train a dog

mesue
06-03-2003, 10:59 PM
I have three small dogs living in the house, one female and two males, I try to take them out on a regular schedule but thats not always possible since I am disabled with a bad back and somedays can barely walk. I also have a small outside lot to put them in when I can't watch them but they continually get out of it. I have the housebreak pads down but their not working especially with the males. Any suggestions would be welcome.

gemini26
06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Don't know. I am bumping this for you.

ilvmy3babs
06-05-2003, 12:28 PM
i would like to suggest crate training. it worked for my dog. you need to get something like a pet carrier and until u get the dog trained u need to keep it in the crate between each time u take the dog out. it only take a couple of weeks and works really well. a dog will not use the bathroom in its territory and the dog learns that the crate is its territory. i hope this information helps you. i could imagine my life without my doggies.

teenap
06-05-2003, 12:55 PM
I tried this with my chihuhua and he HATED the texture of it on his paws

A dog or puppy is either housetrained or not. If your dog is sneaking off to another room and having an accident, you will have to take some of his freedom away until you can solve the problem. The longer you allow this type of behavior to exist, the harder it will be to modify. Unless you can catch him, it really does not do any good to drag him off to the site of his mishap and try and punish him. Keep him in sight if he is bold enough to try something in front of you, say "No," get his attention and take him outdoors quickly so he can finish eliminating in the appropriate area. Remember, it is your house. He has to earn his freedom through good behavior and this is your responsibility.

The first step in housetraining is to decide whether your pup will be trained to only eliminate outdoors, or if you will use the Purina secondnatureŽ brand Dog Litter Housetraining System as an alternative for pups who will weigh up to 35 pounds. Purina secondnatureŽ is a convenient, stress-free alternative consisting of three elements: Super-absorbent Dog Litter, Specially Designed Litter Pan, and an Easy to Follow Training Guide (found in every secondnatureŽ bag.) For more information on the Purina secondnatureŽ system, click here .

If your dog will be trained to eliminate only outdoors, start by establishing an elimination spot. In the morning, clip his leash to his collar and take the dog outdoors to his spot for elimination. State commands like "go potty" or "hurry up." After he does his duty, bring the dog inside for food and water. About 15 to 20 minutes after the meal, take the dog outside again for elimination. Take your dog to his "spot" at each elimination time. Maintain a regular feeding, drinking, and elimination schedule.

One of the most commonly made errors in housetraining is rushing too quickly ahead of your dog. Too much freedom too quickly can cause some confusion. If your dog experiences an accident or two, you will have to back up and slow down. Marking should not be confused with housetraining problems because marking is deliberate. This behavior will arise in dogs who may be trying to vie for the role of the leader in the household; marking is a way of claiming territory. It is advised that if you should notice this behavior indoors or out, you strengthen all obedience commands immediately. This will remove all doubts as to who is in charge around the house.

Providing your dog or puppy with a crate that is way too large may allow him to relieve himself in one end and sleep in the other. Placing food or water in his crate will allow him to fill up his bladder and bowel and he will have no choice but to relieve himself in his crate. Make sure you take your dog or puppy outdoors to eliminate on a regular schedule and especially prior to being left for prolonged periods of time.

If you have tried all the above and are still experiencing what you believe to be "Territorial Marking," consult your veterinarian. Your dog/puppy may have a bladder infection and it's always best to be safe, not sorry. If your dog/puppy is not spayed or neutered you may want to talk to your veterinarian about this procedure. It usually has a very positive effect on this type of behavior problem.

Even well-trained dogs sometimes have accidents. Clean the accident area with a pet odor neutralizer so your dog won't be tempted to repeat his mistake. Here are some tips to help prevent accidents:
Do not make sudden changes in his diet.
Avoid giving your dog late night snacks.
Make sure to spend enough time outdoors.

mesue
06-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Teenap this Purina Second Nature Brand Dog Litter Housetrianing System sounds like the answer for me but when I did a search to find where I could purchase it and how much it would cost I could only find one page about it and it was just an introduction page that said it would be on the market soon. Is it out yet? Thanks!

Queensown
06-08-2003, 02:35 PM
My mom's little dog learned from watching her cats! She never actually trained her, but the dog eventually wound up going to the litter box all the time (it hated going in the yard anyway.)

Her dog is 13 now, and doesn't always make it to the litterbox in time anymore, but she still tries hard. :)

teenap
06-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Yes...I believe you can get it at Petco...

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=7023001192&dept_id=%2D2

mesue
06-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks so much teenap.