PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell made an eloquent point

MsLynn
06-03-2003, 08:52 AM
When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush.

He answered by saying that, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.":(

It became very quiet in the room

ok i know ya'll are sick of me now,so i'll quit posting and go back to reading.

Widgetsx3
06-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Very well made point!

odyssey
06-03-2003, 09:46 AM
that was very well put by Colin Powell

MsLynn
06-03-2003, 10:46 AM
www.snopes.com says its true.

MsLynn
06-03-2003, 10:57 AM
whatever, not gonna debate it with you

schsa
06-03-2003, 11:21 AM
We also pay for those bases. We give money to those countries and support them should they enter into any conflict where we are needed. We don't take the land in the sense that we have no desire to take over a country and move our people in and take over the culture as the English did when they colonized the world.

No, we do not "take" land. We pay very dearly for having bases in other countries. In England, the Queen owns all of the land. So we have no choice but to "rent" from her.

MsLynn
06-03-2003, 11:24 AM
VERY WELL SAID

Originally posted by schsa
We also pay for those bases. We give money to those countries and support them should they enter into any conflict where we are needed. We don't take the land in the sense that we have no desire to take over a country and move our people in and take over the culture as the English did when they colonized the world.

No, we do not "take" land. We pay very dearly for having bases in other countries. In England, the Queen owns all of the land. So we have no choice but to "rent" from her.

Widgetsx3
06-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
There's nothing to debate--I deal in FACTS:
Newspapers are reporting that following Operation Iraqi Freedom, U.S. officials discuss the possibility of military bases inside Iraq. So the statement is wrong already. When there are no facts to support made up stories... [/B]
Would this be the ALWAYS accurate NY Times reporting? :rolleyes: Or the quasi liberal L.A. Times Reporting. Bases are paid for...leased land....and ask those countries if they REALLY want the US protection to leave.

MsLynn
06-03-2003, 11:54 AM
they don't want us there, TILL THEY NEED US,...then they beg for us to help them. amazing how that works isn't it

lpelham
06-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Fireball
Well, consider your source, a web site called snopes!

I love Snopes. They have been around for a while, but I haven't checked them lately. Thanks KissMsLynn for reminding me of them!

Libby

lpelham
06-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Oh, for those that care, Snopes said the statement is true, but the context over simplified. The conference he was speaking at was the World Economics Forum. You can check out the entire speech at: http://www.weforum.org/site/homepublic.nsf/Content/Remarks+from+Colin+Powell,+US+Secretary+of+State The paragraph simplified was:

We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in, and otherwise we have returned home to seek our own, you know, to seek our own lives in peace, to live our own lives in peace. But there comes a time when soft power or talking with evil will not work where, unfortunately, hard power is the only thing that works.

If this is a hoax, someone is really going out of their way because his speech is about four pages long!

Libby

janelle
06-03-2003, 12:54 PM
The military didn't stick around in Afganistan and look what happened, anarachy. After a war the bullies always take over in a country that has no law enforcement. That would happen right now in Iraq and is happening where the military can't settle disputes.

Should we leave again and let Iraq go to the biggest bully in the country? It would be worse than before.