PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Va.

Aunt2Makayla
05-28-2003, 05:59 AM
We may be relocating to Va. in July. I am looking for any help about the area. The 2 most likely areas are surrounding the new Short Pump or the Stony Point malls. Hubby works for one of the anchors at these new malls. I have been searching on the web for housing listings and info on the schools. I would love any info you have about your area. We requested this transfer, so I want to move well educated about the area.

badswife
05-28-2003, 06:47 AM
WHAT PART OF VIRGINIA ARE THEY IN? I LIVE IN VIRGINIA.

sandytrap
05-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Yes, please tell what cities. I am in va too...grew up here. I know culpeper, madison, charlottesville, fredericsburg, orange, and other cities pretty well. Let us know.

farmmnger
05-28-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm in VA also. I"m near Warrenton.

3eagles
05-28-2003, 08:21 AM
I live in the area. Both are technically Richmond. I live about 10 minutes from Stoney Point and 20 from Short Pump (grew up 10 minutes from there). You can check on www.realtor.com Glen Allen is probably what's listed for Short Pump. I'll check. You can PM me or email (link below)
I forgot to add...my aunt is a realtor here(ooopppsss...lol)

ocvachick
05-28-2003, 12:18 PM
hey sand! Im in orange!! :D

My cousin is on the FD at Stony Point, but dont know much about the Short Pump area.

Ladytiger
05-28-2003, 02:09 PM
*bumping for Auntie to see*

3eagles
05-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Short Pump is in Henrico County(Richmond/Glen Allen) and the schools are Henrico Co. schools. Stony Point is in Richmond, but not downtown.The schools nearby would be city schools. You can move just about anywhere as far as Ashland to Highland Springs, Varina, Sandston, etc and still be within approximately 15-25 minutes from either mall. Also not far from Stony Point is Chesterfield County and Chesterfield schools.
So depending on where you live, the school systems in the area are Henrico County, City of Richmond and Chesterfield County. My whole family grew up going to Henrico Co. schools. My family has been living here since 1948

Daizy5936
05-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by farmmnger
I'm in VA also. I"m near Warrenton.

Me too! Howdy neighbor:p

stampdog
05-28-2003, 03:37 PM
ivisit my sister and brother-in-law and nephew every year.they live in varina,va. which is near richmond and near the new pochanis highway.i go to www.co.henrico.va.us it's a great site.

ocvachick
05-28-2003, 07:17 PM
There actually is a Stoney Point town near Charlottesville.... I just got confused with the Richmond area. Never go in that direction.

I dont know much about the Richmond area, but we do get those channels on TV.

Aunt2Makayla
05-29-2003, 05:30 AM
Ok! I'm stupid. The area is Richmond. Sorry. How can I get help if I am not specific? I have pulled up alot about the schools in the area and I am having trouble reading the school reports. Here is Fl they get a letter grade. Is it possible that only 43% of the 3rd. grade passed their SOL test at Etterick Elm? What areas should I be considering? What school have the best and worst rep?
Also, I am a prek4 teacher and would like to go to work when we get there but I don't want to work in a chain day care. I have the best school here that I hate to leave. Do any of you take your kids to a really GREAT pre-k?
Thanks,
Dawn

My email is mom2nickemma2@yahoo.com

Aunt2Makayla
05-29-2003, 06:16 AM
Thanks Stampdog! That site was very helpful.

Now, what I would like to know is are there any housing developments under $299,999? LOL. What do you people do for a living? I know that the cost of living is higher than in Fl, but WOW! :D

3eagles
05-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Charles Glen would actually be convienent to both malls. It is off Horsepen Rd. right down from Broad St, all you have to do to get to Short Pump is go to Broad St, take a left and go straight up Broad about 10 minutes. To get to Stony Point you would go up Horsepen the other way take 2 lefts, follow that till you get to The Country Club of Va., take a right and go across the river and and follow Huegonaut(sp) till you get there. That is about 10-15 minutes also. I travel thru there all the time because I am in Southside and my grandmother is right off Broad near the new houses (I lived there when it was Crestview years ago).
If you want to get in touch, you can PM or email me and I can also get my aunt's info if you want it.