PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have aol broadband?

Frogs
05-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Can someone please explain to me aol broadband? What is it? How does it work? How much it is? Is it it's own service or do you have to use with something else? I was reading on some page that you have to have a dsl or a cable connection to have it or something like that. I have aol now and I'm used to it so I would like to keep it, but I want a faster connection and I want to get the SBC unlimited long distance plan and you can't have a dial up or something. Oh, I'm so confused...lol! HELP!!

odyssey
05-22-2003, 07:15 PM
we had AOL broadband.
keep going don't do it. Just my opinion. We were in the BETA program for that. It destroyed a 3 month old new computer. The broadband blaster they sent us smoked.
long story short. It was hard to leave them.

It was hooked up through the phone line and it was 39.99 monthly that included the regular AOL service.

I have cable connection and this is so fast no timeouts no dial up time, no errors.

goodluck

Frogs
05-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Okay, well I'm confused. I don't know what to get. I have no idea what dsl and cable is. I'm completely computer illiterate. If it is hooked up through the phone line, wouldn't that still be a dial up connection? I'm so lost. I know how to log on and off and my way around the internet...lol, but that's it! I really want to get that SBC unlimited long distance plan, but I'm online to much with a dial up service. So I have to get something.

sweetverna
06-08-2003, 02:19 PM
I have AOL DSL Broadband. With DSL you get an modem I on my third one an Westill one that plugs in to the computer and the telphone line in back of the computer. Since I have an Gateway computer and an slim compact tower I had to get an outside modem. Sometimes works good sometimes works slow. The DSL cost $31 extra an month plus the AOL service. I get an lot of WAOL errors and slow connection to most of the time the Techs are no help. They do give you free month to make up for it but its only temporay thing. DSL is okay but not worth the extra money. They have send phone company guys out here to check some said the connection is okay some said their not. Last one came out by time he was done my phone didn't work and told AOL everything was okay and told me didn't know why was getting an slow connection and slow readings. Lot has to do what area you live in to. If doesn't improve soon going to cancel the service now worth the extra money. They also send you these filters you have to put on your phone line so block out noise. The link below tells about DSL and diffrent companies and prices.
www.dslreports.com

bngomom
06-08-2003, 02:31 PM
You can get DSL through SBC. They have a special now for $29.95 a month for the first year. Mine is $49.95 a month and worth it.

justme23
06-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by bngomom
You can get DSL through SBC. They have a special now for $29.95 a month for the first year. Mine is $49.95 a month and worth it.

This is what I have... and all broadband modems are external no matter the size of the tower. It goes through your phone line, yes, but it's on a different frequency, so it does not disrupt your telephones frequency and vice versa. W/ most dsl companies now, you still have to 'log in and out' like you do w/ dialup, but this is due to company greed. They sell more accts than they have IPs to distribute, so you may occasionally get knocked offline. I've had both dsl and cable and I prefer cable to dsl, but we've had sbc dsl for 4 years and I can't really make a complaint about them.

twinkiesmom
06-08-2003, 03:37 PM
wouldn't give up my cable internet for the world.

sweetverna
06-08-2003, 03:51 PM
justme23 I have my DSL for over an year the first modem they sent me was an inside one was bigger then my tower maybe they don't used that kind no more.

cSoReNSoN
06-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Frogs
Can someone please explain to me aol broadband? What is it? How does it work? How much it is? Is it it's own service or do you have to use with something else? I was reading on some page that you have to have a dsl or a cable connection to have it or something like that. I have aol now and I'm used to it so I would like to keep it, but I want a faster connection and I want to get the SBC unlimited long distance plan and you can't have a dial up or something. Oh, I'm so confused...lol! HELP!!

You can actually use AOL with separate cable modem access. It's called B.Y.O.A (Bring Your Own Access). It's $9.95 a month. You, of course, pay your monthly cable modem fee, as well. For instance we get our cable modem access through Comcast and use AOL, as well. I wouldn't mind dropping AOL but my dad is pretty attached to it. Thus, you get AOl still but at the faster speed!

EricsnKy
06-08-2003, 06:59 PM
I had a high speed cable connection thru Adelphia. notice I said HAD. It worked great for awhile, it was AWESOME. Than I'd end up getting knocked off all the time and I couldnt connect. They kept saying it was a line issue and would send a tech out. I got tired of being without internet access so I cancelled it and went back to dialup. High speed access is defintely worth the extra $$ however.

My local electric company just started offering wireless high speed access for $25 a month, $50 installation. I am gonna call them tomorrow and get it started.

EricsnKy
06-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by freebiequeen1234
i have been having this problem also!! i keep losing my proxy server!! pi$$es me off!! I thought it was only me!!

Do you have Adelphia too ?

They sent a tech out three different times - each time the tech would say "your all ready to go, got your signal strength back up." Within a day I'd be offline again, it'd boot me off and wouldnt reconnect. I'd call and theyd send a tech out - same thing 3-4 different times. The last time I called he goes "oh this is a line issue we'll have to send a tech out." I go well thats been done four times already obviously there is a larger problem. He said "nope - line issue we'll send a tech out." I said "how about I just cancel this service ,it costs too much to be offline all the time." He said "okay call your local office on Monday, and return your modem" THAN HUNG UP! I owned my modem so I didnt have to return it but I complained about his rudeness to my local office, as if it did any good:rolleyes: It costs too much money if it doesnt work ALL the time. My dad has the wireless high speed access from the local electric company, im gonna look into it tomorrow. For $25 a month thats not bad.

DBackFan
06-08-2003, 09:43 PM
I have AOL Broadband cable and I love it. Its a little pricey but hubby and I are kinda hooked on AOL so to us it is worth it. I have had AOL for years and have NEVER had a problem. One of the lucky ones.