PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever gone to one of those car title loan places?

denisemm
05-22-2003, 09:47 AM
We need to come up with $850 by the end of next week, and I have no idea how we're going to do it, so I was considering this. But, they just seem kind of seedy. So I was wondering if anyone has done it, and was it ok, or was it really crappy or what.

Or if anyone wants to give me $850, that's ok too. LOL!

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
05-22-2003, 10:05 AM
I have and they won't give you that much. They gave us $300.00 but they are pretty forgiving. As long as you make a minimum payment, set up by them, and alert them if you are going to be late they will extend the loan due date. It took us a year to pay it all back and at the end they just settled for one payment of ex-amount. It's not such a bad thing.
You have to bring a check stub, utility bill, title and another set of keys- so if need be they can repo you but most times they won't- if you are honest with them.

denisemm
05-22-2003, 10:09 AM
ack, $300? can I ask what kind of car that was, that they only gave you $300. Because my car is not exactly new, its a 92, and its in really good condition, but its just old.

Thanks.

still will accept any offers for $850, lol

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
05-22-2003, 10:12 AM
1994 Subaru Justy- White- 2 Door.

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
05-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Oh and they base it on the job you have, proof of whatever (where you live, etc) and the Blue Book for cars.

denisemm
05-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
They are basically legal loan sharks. I wouldn't advise using one of those places unless you can pay it off in the next week or so. If you have them carry the loan, they end up making something like 300% interest. That is no joke. They generally charge around $25 a week just to "renew" your loan from week to week. So if you were to borrow X amount of $$ and couldn't afford to pay all of it back the following week, you would have to make your payment PLUS a $25 extention fee. I don't see how these places are legal--- but they are :( I had a friend that lost her car to one of them over $200 (i think I remember that right) owed to them. If it was a matter of the welfare of my kids, I would use one...but I would have to exhaust every other possibility. I would go to every relative I had for help before I would ever consider it. Seems to me that those types of businesses are just preying on people who are down on their luck...and I hate those kinds of businesses. Greedy, Greedy, Greedy.. lol Wish I had the money to loan....I could offer a cheaper interest rate on my money--- but I am wondering where money is going to come from myself right now. Hope you can find another way. ((((((((denise))))))))))

YUCK! It would probably be about 2 months before we could pay it all back. hmmm... who else can I ask??? Crap! This sucks! I'm starting this job, and I'm not gonna get a first paycheck til the last week of June, and I have to pay for daycare during that time, and I have to pay a $350 deposit. How are you supposed to start a new job when you have to pay for daycare up front but you don't get paid up front?? UGH!

OK, well I'm open for just about any suggestions on how to get $850 by next week.

~MK~
05-22-2003, 10:51 AM
I have one right now. We "borrowed" 900.00 and it ended up costing almost 1500.00. If you don't have it paid the day it's due, at least here, they run up to the court house and file their papers to get your vehicle. They are NASTY. If that IRS check ever gets here I'm going to go pay it off and NEVER EVER EVER do it again, no matter how desperate. :( They eat you alive.

Sparkli
05-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Machande_Kennels
I have one right now. We "borrowed" 900.00 and it ended up costing almost 1500.00. If you don't have it paid the day it's due, at least here, they run up to the court house and file their papers to get your vehicle. They are NASTY. If that IRS check ever gets here I'm going to go pay it off and NEVER EVER EVER do it again, no matter how desperate. :( They eat you alive.

I will NEVER EVER do it again either... I just finished paying off 650$ loan I got last June. At 95$ a month, and if you are late, they call you and call you and call you, and if you are really late, they show up on your door step and tell you they want the money or they are taking your car. It's not worth it... I would try to go to a Credit Union first. And see how much they would give you. It's not worth the harrassement, and they will harrass you.

oh yeah, and do that math... I paid them back over a 1000 bucks. :(

tammy

Queensown
05-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Anything you can sell on ebay?

When my DH and I had some money problems when we were first married a few years back we sold off a TON of stuff on ebay. Even consider this when it's stuff you don't really want to be rid of, if it's something that can be replaced later. We sold about 50 DVD's and a couple of video game systems, and were able to replace what we wanted to later at the same or lower price than we sold for by scouring ebay for deals.

Just something to consider...