PDA

View Full Version : Breast Implants -How safe are they?

cab244
05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I am considering having this procedure done and I was wondering if their is anyone here that has had it done and could give me some advice about where to go for info(doctor's, price comparison, medical risks, etc. I am looking for a relatively current updated site. I've just started looking and so far the earliest I've found is dated 2000. Also, just today I read something where the doctor told his patients that their implants could last 6 weeks or 60 years, that there were no guarantees and that they would at some point have to have the procedure done again. If something happens, say after 6 weeks is the patient responsible for paying to have it done again? That seems kind of outrageous cosidering the cost to have them done.

annie169
05-21-2003, 05:35 PM
I don't have implants (I'm one of the few who doesn't need them), but I am a medical transcriptionist and lately, the doctors are dictating about these women who are having problems. One fact: If you have implants, you cannot have regular mammograms. You have to have an MRI.
Those are more expensive and I don't know if all insurances cover an MRI compared to the standard mammogram.
Also, One patient has only had her implants for about 2 years and already is having hardening of one of the implants. She was doing her basic workout and one of her breasts was tender afterwards. She thought she had just overdone it. but, after the tenderness went away, both she and her spouse thought that is was feeling hard. I don't know the outcome. This just happened this past week.

If you want to read about it, look up the talk host Jenny Jones about her implant story. She had them removed and won't go get more.

Good luck.:)